Sign in to follow this  

Still no new Road book, updates or news.

“In DiRT Rally you have few stages but you'll never get through the same corner over and over, every turn is different, and i'm not talking about the background. Angles, width of the road, jumps, pits, rocks, trees.”

Every corner in DR is different until you’ve gone through the same STAGES over and over and over. How is that also not repeating?  Just because compared to D4?

cjr3559 said:
“In DiRT Rally you have few stages but you'll never get through the same corner over and over, every turn is different, and i'm not talking about the background. Angles, width of the road, jumps, pits, rocks, trees.”

Every corner in DR is different until you’ve gone through the same STAGES over and over and over. How is that also not repeating?  Just because compared to D4?
Bidno Moorland has 50 unique turns, and is one of the shortest stages in DiRT Rally.
The all spain location in DiRT 4 has 20 tips, and is the best location for me.

So, because someone has promised "you'll never see a corner twice" and "we've improved DiRT Rally in every single aspect", i'm here to compare a type of laziness vs. a new type of laziness.
DiRT Rally is boring? fine, yes it is after a while, i know!
DiRT 4 is boring much more than that with the laziest track-gen i've ever seen and has been developed AFTER DiRT Rally, not before, not contemporary, but AFTER DiRT Rally.
And is boring in the main core of the game, which is rally.
It's like a football game where the funniest part of the game is customizing the shirts and the GQ

I prefer the concept of Your Stage and I hope they continue with this direction, but I don't feel it's good enough at the moment. Crucially though, it's the same basic issue as Dirt Rally had: not enough unique kilometres of road.

Roughly 120km of unique road in DR and, I would guess, there's a similar amount in D4. The quality of some of their countries and stages may be questionable (although the German, Polish, Monte Carlo and Mexico ones are definitely superb), but WRC7 must have double that at a conservative estimate (13 X 20km) and, whilst I appreciate that the game might not be to everyone's taste (and I prefer the non-licenced concept of DiRT), this is a huge difference.

With this in mind, making 120km for DR and 120km of tiles for D4 feels incredibly counterproductive. I'm aware that resources are finite (although it feels like a lot of this game's budget went into promotion; I wonder if it returned it) and if stages or countries take so long to make, they have to ensure that the assets are reusable in future titles, surely?

Also (personal opinion as someone who doesn't care for it), the 'wasted' resources spent on RX, Hillclimb and Landrush tracks.

Another personal opinion: I'd rather see 40 unique kilometres from 2 locations than 30km from 3.

Didzis said:
Roughly 120km of unique road in DR
It's actually about 160km, if you count Pikes Peak (or about 140, if you don't)

OK, about 140. I'd have included Pikes Peak if they had just split it up into sections, added pace notes and reverse options and called it Rally US. As it was, the three/four car, 1 track Hillclimb mode just felt like another 'bare minimum' game mode and struck me as another thing that made the last two games feel a bit like tech demos. Point stands that WRC7 has likely double the unique rally stage distance of each of the last two DiRT games.

I prefer the concept of Your Stage and I hope they continue with this direction, but I don't feel it's good enough at the moment. Crucially though, it's the same basic issue as Dirt Rally had: not enough unique kilometres of road.

Roughly 120km of unique road in DR and, I would guess, there's a similar amount in D4. The quality of some of their countries and stages may be questionable (although the German, Polish, Monte Carlo and Mexico ones are definitely superb), but WRC7 must have double that at a conservative estimate (13 X 20km) and, whilst I appreciate that the game might not be to everyone's taste (and I prefer the non-licenced concept of DiRT), this is a huge difference.

With this in mind, making 120km for DR and 120km of tiles for D4 feels incredibly counterproductive. I'm aware that resources are finite (although it feels like a lot of this game's budget went into promotion; I wonder if it returned it) and if stages or countries take so long to make, they have to ensure that the assets are reusable in future titles, surely?

Also (personal opinion as someone who doesn't care for it), the 'wasted' resources spent on RX, Hillclimb and Landrush tracks.

Another personal opinion: I'd rather see 40 unique kilometres from 2 locations than 30km from 3.
Real life stages will always be loved more than any random track generated versions.true you wont know the corner coming on random generated Your Stage events but it doesnt inspire or have the soul of a actual real stage.that is a problem that will never be solved. regardless of tiles. that's why it should never be the main part of the game only a extra edition.hopefully codemasters realizes this before the competition take pole position in rally titles in the future.

people want to rally in real events they want to feel like they doing what there heros do .

its going to be interesting how codies progress with this for the next rally title will they try and get all the real stages or push on with yourstage for the main content. i hope they dont.

dgeesi0 said:

Real life stages will always be loved more than any random track generated versions.true you wont know the corner coming on random generated Your Stage events but it doesnt inspire or have the soul of a actual real stage.that is a problem that will never be solved. regardless of tiles. that's why it should never be the main part of the game only a extra edition.hopefully codemasters realizes this before the competition take pole position in rally titles in the future.

people want to rally in real events they want to feel like they doing what there heros do .

its going to be interesting how codies progress with this for the next rally title will they try and get all the real stages or push on with yourstage for the main content. i hope they dont.
That's one of opinions. Other think otherwise- rallying's SOUL and INSPIRATION you are mentioning are comming from NOT knowing the stage corner by corner.

Unless we get real life number of real life full length stages we will end up with another DR, or vanilla RBR we will have every single corner is memorized and it is just becomes hotlapping. Might just as well disable co- driver.

My opinion is that if we get multiple tiles that do not consist of a fragment of a road with multiple corners, but tiles with corners, straights, etc (so we can get two corners making "tightens" and "opens" corners etc) it would be more ideal for many of us. We would also probably need a separation of a road and surroundings, so those are generated separately (right now we can tell what's gonna happen after seeing certain tree etc), but right now it seems like we will get New Zealand DLC which is going to fail untill they fix physics, and I am not sure if they are going to do that.

SamRWD said:
dgeesi0 said:

That's one of opinions. Other think otherwise- rallying's SOUL and INSPIRATION you are mentioning are comming from NOT knowing the stage corner by corner.

Unless we get real life number of real life full length stages we will end up with another DR, or vanilla RBR we will have every single corner is memorized and it is just becomes hotlapping. Might just as well disable co- driver.

My opinion is that if we get multiple tiles that do not consist of a fragment of a road with multiple corners, but tiles with corners, straights, etc (so we can get two corners making "tightens" and "opens" corners etc) it would be more ideal for many of us. We would also probably need a separation of a road and surroundings, so those are generated separately (right now we can tell what's gonna happen after seeing certain tree etc), but right now it seems like we will get New Zealand DLC which is going to fail untill they fix physics, and I am not sure if they are going to do that.
Your Stage, developed and improved, is the future of rally games in terms of longevity because it could be used to have new stages to introduce, and also a WRC-style rally where you get around 10-15 stages run twice with most of them generated. But YS will never be able to substitute for handcrafted real rally stages like the Turini or Sweet Lamb, because they're iconic and well known. I think YourStage is a tool that can make a difference but you cannot rely completely on it.

carpa said:
SamRWD said:
dgeesi0 said:

Your Stage, developed and improved, is the future of rally games in terms of longevity because it could be used to have new stages to introduce, and also a WRC-style rally where you get around 10-15 stages run twice with most of them generated. But YS will never be able to substitute for handcrafted real rally stages like the Turini or Sweet Lamb, because they're iconic and well known. I think YourStage is a tool that can make a difference but you cannot rely completely on it.
Sure, if Codies give us modding tools that let people import GPS data, community would make real world, real length tracks. Unless they do, we will be hotlapping, because they are not willing to invest time into making multiple 20- 40 km stages. We can get one, two 16 km long max. Rest will be chopping existing one, or two stages to make multiple short ones.

Some prefer that, some prefer randomized stages that eventually YS could generate. I am glad Codies decided to invest into stage generation personally, but I understand that some people would rather have one real world stage chopped into smaller ones. Just different way of looking at the problem with different solution. That's why I replied to this thread, saying that one real life long stage chopped has more soul than randomized stage is true only to some.

Iv never had much positive to say about DiRT 4 as you all know, but I can safely say, YourStage is a great concept.  I don’t care if we learn tiles.  The sequence is still different.  

What spoiled YourStage, is the safe and predictable handling.  If we had the old Reactive physics style from DiRT Rally, the current YouStage would, I have no doubt, been much better received.  We used to have to work with the car to correct it and change its direction.  DiRT 4 cars are largely point n squirt so we can follow a stage easily, regardless of the sequence of turns.  I think YouStage would have worked within DiRT Rally

Its handling is too simplified & that’s not what the Spirit if Rallying is.

Its NOT knowing exactly what’s round the next corner, but despite being beyond the upper limit of grip, having the ability to Drive your car round the next surprise corner & get out the other side.

its great to have a healthy debate about it. would be nice to have a poll on what people do want for future rally games.

would you rather have the real life rally stages or your stage as the main part of the game.

A WRC licenced game should have replica stages

An unlicensed virtual Rally game, could really benefit from the YourStage tech

I'd definitely have real life stages or handmade/unique ones instead of Your Stage kind of generated stages.. In my opinion, Your Stage is a great concept on paper and nothing else and D4 showed that pretty clearly. For me it was dull, repetitive and boring.
I just want DiRT Rally 2. Basically DR with more cars and new locations. After D4, I really don't care if the physics are "floaty". At least it "feels" like you are driving a rally car and not some 20hp rust bucket that pretty much stalls when you touch a handbrake.

Lately I've been playing WRC 7 and I've to say the stages are absolutely amazing in that game. After finishing a stage I'm like 'holy cow that was intense' The stages are so good.

SamRWD said:
carpa said:
SamRWD said:
dgeesi0 said:

Sure, if Codies give us modding tools that let people import GPS data, community would make real world, real length tracks. Unless they do, we will be hotlapping, because they are not willing to invest time into making multiple 20- 40 km stages. We can get one, two 16 km long max. Rest will be chopping existing one, or two stages to make multiple short ones.

Some prefer that, some prefer randomized stages that eventually YS could generate. I am glad Codies decided to invest into stage generation personally, but I understand that some people would rather have one real world stage chopped into smaller ones. Just different way of looking at the problem with different solution. That's why I replied to this thread, saying that one real life long stage chopped has more soul than randomized stage is true only to some.
That would be awesome but right now modders cannot even change the liveries of the cars without the antisave kicking in so I don't see this coming in the future. About the max lenght of the stages that's more of an engine limitation I think and hopefully that is something they'll work on in future titles, so modders wouldn't be able to do much I think. As I said I think having both real life and generated stages in game is the way to go i think but I see your point about hotlapping

I'm quite torn on the matter. The core concept of yourstage is good, but it does need 2-3 times more tiles per location for it to not get too repetitive. I really hope they keep the concept for the next rally game and work on it.

But I do think there should also be at least one iconic stage per location that's handcrafter like the DR locations were (and the WRC 7 ones). 

A dream scenario for me would be a rally game that starts off focusing on just one single rally. Make a shitload of tiles for that rally (maybe 4-5 times the amount compared to a location in D4), and 2-3 iconic stages that are handcrafted. Then release the game with modding tools so the community can make their own stages if they want.
Then a free car + yourstage DLC after 6 months, a buyable new location DLC 6 months after that, cars + yourstage 6 months after that.

This would keep me playing (and paying for content) for many years to come.

Yeah, I have always been an advocate for one real stage and yourstage in addition.  Like having Ouninpohja as the famous stage and then have yourastage in addition to that stage. 

Another thing I think hurt yourstage for many is the way the career was set up. I'm pretty sure you would have done the Michigan rally 3-4 times before even touching Sweden. It would have benefitted much more if they followed a Championship style career mode like in Dirt Rally. You would see the locations less and it would take more time for one to recognize everything.

carpa said:
SamRWD said:
carpa said:
SamRWD said:
dgeesi0 said:

That would be awesome but right now modders cannot even change the liveries of the cars without the antisave kicking in so I don't see this coming in the future. About the max lenght of the stages that's more of an engine limitation I think and hopefully that is something they'll work on in future titles, so modders wouldn't be able to do much I think. As I said I think having both real life and generated stages in game is the way to go i think but I see your point about hotlapping
That's why I said that it could happen "if Codies give us modding tools (...)". After that happens it is only logic to expect modding not triggering ban, isn't it? If we want to talk about current state, then forget about Real World Stages, Dirt 4 uses Your Stage, so you cannot have real world stages anyways. Unless we can discuss what we can change after all, then we can start with a scenario where modding is possible, and then that argument was not needed in the first place. Same with track length- if we settle what we have ATM, then it is even worse for real world stages, because it would be just a rally sprint around the home after few weeks. That's what Dirt Rally is about, hotlapping single stages, copilot is actually not needed after a while.

Ideally we could hope to get both, I don't think Codies will drop Your Stage after they spend to much resources to develop it, I am happy about that, but at the same time I always dreamed of a tool that let's you import GPS data do generate basic mesh for the road itself. People did amazing job recreating real world rally stages for other simulators, if Dirt got it's physics sorted out and SDK released, they would transfer over Dirt in no time.

I would go for a third option.

An open world area. For example Codemasters could build one playground per country that is about 40km by 40km. In that area you have, lets say, 10 unique pre-routed stages of which 6 stages are longer then 18km, no reuse of parts of stages other then a few hundred meters. In that area you have rural areas, mountains and a city or a village or whatever. The playground can have tarmac, gravel and muddy roads or a combination of those so you can also use the playground to generate a stage like in DiRT4 so you can have even more stages. Because the entire area is uniquely build you will not have the boring issue we have with DiRT4 because there are no tiles. Of course there will be no million options but then again this might be the case in DiRT4 but even that was boring and to be honest after  '30' generated stages you have seen them all.

Codemasters could also ditch the generated stage all together and replace it with a better (in my opinion) and very cool thing that i am waiting for 15 years now. Lets say you have a map of the playground of the country you wanne rally and you can draw a lines on it over the roads you wanne race (place points on the map to create a route like you would do on google maps to layout a route). You can then create truly your own stage and make it as long or short or difficult as you want. The best thing would be that you could share this online for people to download in the game and then try out the stage you made. The championships that you can create with it would be truly epic and as long and as difficult and as personal as you want.

/edit maybe some of you know the game trackmania, imagine a rally playground as mentioned before and the ability from trackmania to place objects on the stage. You can think of start and finish, check/time points, hay bales, sponsor redbull arches etc, wouldn't that be cool.

Arma 3 would be nice for that kind of open terrain area, but if you want to replicate real world we have even more problem, if you don't then you have to do both roads and surroundings (not only around the road itself, but more further away too). IMHO it doesn't solve problem unless even more resources than making full length stages do. In a perfect world, that would be a perfect solution though, since you could simulate road sections with traffic, also you could drive into a service area, have road section fixes etc. Not gonna happen anywhere soon I am afraid.

I would go for a third option.

An open world area. For example Codemasters could build one playground per country that is about 40km by 40km. In that area you have, lets say, 10 unique pre-routed stages of which 6 stages are longer then 18km, no reuse of parts of stages other then a few hundred meters. In that area you have rural areas, mountains and a city or a village or whatever. The playground can have tarmac, gravel and muddy roads or a combination of those so you can also use the playground to generate a stage like in DiRT4 so you can have even more stages. Because the entire area is uniquely build you will not have the boring issue we have with DiRT4 because there are no tiles. Of course there will be no million options but then again this might be the case in DiRT4 but even that was boring and to be honest after  '30' generated stages you have seen them all.

Codemasters could also ditch the generated stage all together and replace it with a better (in my opinion) and very cool thing that i am waiting for 15 years now. Lets say you have a map of the playground of the country you wanne rally and you can draw a lines on it over the roads you wanne race (place points on the map to create a route like you would do on google maps to layout a route). You can then create truly your own stage and make it as long or short or difficult as you want. The best thing would be that you could share this online for people to download in the game and then try out the stage you made. The championships that you can create with it would be truly epic and as long and as difficult and as personal as you want.

/edit maybe some of you know the game trackmania, imagine a rally playground as mentioned before and the ability from trackmania to place objects on the stage. You can think of start and finish, check/time points, hay bales, sponsor redbull arches etc, wouldn't that be cool.
Xpand Rally did this. All the Career stages for each location were just different routes through a large square map with a full road network on it. The junctions were blocked off by sponsor signs and the like. There was a map editor too that let you make your own routes (not anywhere near as intuitive as an in-game system could be, but it was 2006).

SamRWD said:
Arma 3 would be nice for that kind of open terrain area, but if you want to replicate real world we have even more problem, if you don't then you have to do both roads and surroundings (not only around the road itself, but more further away too). IMHO it doesn't solve problem unless even more resources than making full length stages do. In a perfect world, that would be a perfect solution though, since you could simulate road sections with traffic, also you could drive into a service area, have road section fixes etc. Not gonna happen anywhere soon I am afraid.
To be honest for me it does not have to be an exact replication of the real world, how many of us do know how the real stages in Argentina looks like and what houses are near the stages (besides seeing it on tv or youtube or being from Argentina). Codemasters can create a world that looks like Argentina so they have full freedom to create whatever they want, they do not have to laser the real stages in Argentina if you ask me.

Also there are modern race/car games that have huge open worlds so can't see why that is a problem other then the game will need more GB then now and maybe a bit tuned down graphics but i am more then willing to have a bit less nice graphics in order to get an epic game experience. 

I think if Codemasters is creative with the open world and the horizon they can figure it out how to do it otherwise i am more then happy to help them  ;)

So why not use Your Stage with more tiles? That produces even more variety than fictional environment with roads, road surroundings, and everything else in between? 

SamRWD said:
So why not use Your Stage with more tiles? That produces even more variety than fictional environment with roads, road surroundings, and everything else in between? 
More tiles won't solve the problem of repetition. The issue is when you look at a stage you look at it tile by tile so you remember the format of the tile no matter where it is in the stage. Even though there maybe be umpteen quadrillion combinations, it's the individual tiles that stick in the mind, not the entire combination.

There is a way round this, but as usual requires some effort which may not be totally trivial.