Sign in to follow this  

which if your favourite f1 game?

cant decide...
each had their own pros. 
Unfortunately Codemasters haven't managed to build upon them with each game, bizarrely dropping fan favourite features each year!!
We tell them each year what we like, what we don't like and what we want...
so how do they get it so wrong every year???

2010's live the life was fantastic.
paddock style menus and interviews made you feel part of a race weekend.
the new menus feel static and lifeless. The only 'people' you see in the game are the engineers standing around your car in the garage. You barely see the crowd. No paddock or team personel.
whatever happened to the headshot we saw of Charles Pic being rendered last year? We never see drivers without a helmet. Seems like a big waste of resources there!!
the interactive manual pitstop needs to return! It might not have been much but I'd rather that than a boring cutscene. I'm supposed to be playing a game here right?

2011 was actually fun and I enjoyed revisiting that game recently. Again the menus brought to life a paddock.

2012 had the YDT, and while it was mundane for seasoned racers, it was a step in the right direction for bringing some real testing style on track action. Giving you the feel of what it's like to be an F1 driver coming up through the ranks.
Unfortunately FP1&2 disappeared. 
The handling model improved in my opinion.
custom championship disappeared along with paddock menus and interviews.
career mode simply became a terrible email and screenshot system displaying the same photo and text after each race...
whoever thought this was an improvement at Codemasters needs to be replaced!

2013 was packed with content. 12 extra cars and 4 tracks, including the legendary Imola! I did enjoy the scenario mode too!

2014? As far as I've seen. New cars might be fun to drive but the whole game experience has been stripped bare! less tracks, less cars and less career than 2013..
not to mention the addition of a very easy mode... Legendary is barely a challenge as it is..
if you're struggling with amateur and need a very easy mode then just give up! 

So so while the games have got better handling wise, they have badly lost their way with bringing you closer to the feel of being an F1 driver.

2010 was probably my favourite. Loved the FEAR intro. I waited so long for the game. Loved the interviews. Hated the sepia effect. The stiff handling and the poor sound.
the difficulty level on Amateur went up though on 2013 yes if they had left the lower settings alone I would agree with you but those that were happy on the Amateur level on the 2012 and earlier games had nowhere to go other than struggle as best we could with 13 and we didn't like that. All they've done is add an extra setting so now those that were initially struggling do now have somewhere to go. Which is exactly what I and others on here have asked for

"2014? As far as I've seen. New cars might be fun to drive but the whole game experience has been stripped bare! less tracks, less cars and less career than 2013..
not to mention the addition of a very easy mode... Legendary is barely a challenge as it is..
if you're struggling with amateur and need a very easy mode then just give up! "

Then you haven't seen enough. Legend AI is much faster than last year (about 2 seconds). And the whole experience stripped bare? Handling, tyre management, fuel management and Legend AI all got massive upgrades. Which means the racing is better than its ever been. The main downside is old hardware -> barely improved graphics and wrong steering wheels.

2010 was their best as far as atmosphere was concerned. Thereafter the game lost more of it over each new release. I would say F1 Championship Edition was, and still is my fave F1 game.

F1 CE, hands down

I was on an F1 forum where they spoke to Studio Liverpool in the early 00s about their game, really told them what was wrong. SL listened, changed things, and their last release remains the best F1 game on PS3. Hood just makes the game he wants and stuff everyone else.

Gav25182 said:

F1 CE, hands down

I was on an F1 forum where they spoke to Studio Liverpool in the early 00s about their game, really told them what was wrong. SL listened, changed things, and their last release remains the best F1 game on PS3. Hood just makes the game he wants and stuff everyone else.

Agreed, F1 CE for the PS3 is my favorite and I personally think is the best F1 game currently on the PS3. F1 2010 isn't far off but the glitches it has take it down a few notches compared with CE. Every damn sequel to F1 20 seems to regress content wise because Steve Hood can't be arsed to put new stuff in and would rather save himself (and Codedisasters) the money that should be going into the game. Minimum effort and resources

I really hope Codedisasters loose the license to making the games which will allow someone who cares to buy it!

2012 for best handling. Period.

Too bad career was fucked up because of the broken weather system, and the always impossible AI laptimes on the wet, something I hope it's been revised for the new engine, as this problem also plagued all iterations in the franchise

F1: CE for me. It has a lot of old circuits that I wish will return to the calendar soon like France and Turkey and has the pre-race formation lap which built hype for the races and added realism. I also felt that it was harder to drive with the wheel which only added more of a challenge.

F1 2010 deserves an honorable mention in my opinion. I enjoyed the interviews in career mode to give it a more in depth feel.

F1 CE is my favourite in terms of sheer real life F1 content (something Codies can learn from even now)
However, F1 2010 is probably my favourite in terms on car physics and Life the Life.
They have slowly lost the Live the Life elements along with a host of real F1 elements and basically focused on the handling year after year.

Next Gen has got to be time to get back to Live the Life and representing real F1 in all it's glory. That means full race weekends, formation laps, failures, podiums, real pitstops, and in turn real strategy!

In short, It's Time For Codemasters To Step Up!!

Wanorak said:
F1 CE is my favourite in terms of sheer real life F1 content (something Codies can learn from even now)
However, F1 2010 is probably my favourite in terms on car physics and Life the Life.
They have slowly lost the Live the Life elements along with a host of real F1 elements and basically focused on the handling year after year.

Next Gen has got to be time to get back to Live the Life and representing real F1 in all it's glory. That means full race weekends, formation laps, failures, podiums, real pitstops, and in turn real strategy!

In short, It's Time For Codemasters To Step Up!!
I agree they must try and make a real effort with 2015 even if they don't add everything we want as long as they show improvement and build upon it from 2016 on then maybe they can recover but they need to show they're prepared to up their  game because they're definitely beginning to run out of chances