Sign in to follow this  

Is DiRT 4 Still a Colin McRae Game?

My question is: Is still the DiRT series, still a Colin McRae game and if so, how can it be, when he passed away 10 years ago? Is there anything in the game to resemble Colin McRae?

McStanley

Sounds like it is a McRae game. I was just wondering if there were any features in the game that resembles Colin. There has to be, for it still to be a Colin McRae game.

McStanley

I think last game that had McRay in the name was Dirt 2. If he actually had his accident before it was released.

But I got Dirt Rally Legend edition - and also has a disk with documentary over McRay's career. So guess the whole series is in his honor, kind of.

But that all racing games developers also consult professional drivers to get input to how cars behave.

I guess the feeling and stress you get from next starter is about to pass you - is that kind of feedback that is thrilling and from input from real drivers. To get some input like this into a game is eseential and makes a difference between one game and another.

One praised rally game, Richard Burns Rally, lacked this kind of stress from next contester. I had a talk with a guy that was involved with development of RBR - and he said that time schedule did not allow that, but it was on list todo - but never became part of game.

Little things in Dirt 2, like standard noise from car, little squeeks from suspension and such is also what I think is input from professional drivers that adds to the feeling of the game and running a vehicle.

So these kind of things are what creates a good game, and collaborating with drivers in the professional tours are good - and need not be top name that sell the game by itself. 

I agree, noises and things shows that the developer's have put time and effort into the gap to make it as real-life like, as possible. I have played some right rubbish racing games in the past, but DiRT has never failed to impress me.

I went onto the Wikipedia page last night, about the DiRT 4 game and still said that this game is part of the Colin McRae series of games, but I wanted to make sure that that is correct, as any person can add something to a Wikipedia page, which makes it liable for false and incorrect information to be added.

McStanley

Yeah, the game is the same lineage. DiRT 2 was the last game to carry the McRae name on the box but, given that he had no input into subsequent titles. it didn't appear from DiRT 3 onwards.

Same studio behind the sequels though!

Very true. Why with DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, DiRT Rally and with DiRT 4, did they drop Colin McRae's name from the title of the game and from the case's? I really think they should have left his name on the cover's, with the following games, after Colin McRae: DiRT 2.

It could be to do with Colin himself not putting any import into the games, as to why his name could have been removed from the title's, but Colin McRae: DiRT 2 was released in 2009 and Colin's crash was in 2007, which sadly killed him. Surely Colin had no input with Colin McRae: DiRT 2?

McStanley

I think they have to pay quite a bit and are contracted to McRay family/agents somehow - to use the name.

I think it's the sole reason it was removed.

I think for DR or D4 that some norwegian driver was present a lot promoting it. Don't remember name.

So if the reasons for removing the name 'Colin McRae' from the title of the DiRT games due to high licensing costs and other things, these DiRT games are purely and truly though still a Colin McRae series of games?

McStanley 

I think they have to pay quite a bit and are contracted to McRay family/agents somehow - to use the name.

I think it's the sole reason it was removed.

I think for DR or D4 that some norwegian driver was present a lot promoting it. Don't remember name.
Petter Solberg

McStanley said:
So if the reasons for removing the name 'Colin McRae' from the title of the DiRT games due to high licensing costs and other things, these DiRT games are purely and truly though still a Colin McRae series of games?

McStanley 
I think so, the studio behind all the games is the same

To be honest I am glad they dropped the name. Colin actually had some input on all the games in the series up to DiRT 2, so they really were "his" games. 

Personally I would have seen it as rather poor taste if they had carried on attaching his name to the titles released after his death, as he clearly wouldn't have made any contribution to them.

I am very glad the series has carried on though and that they have managed to include of lot of McRae references in all the subsequent rally games. 

tbtstt said:
To be honest I am glad they dropped the name. Colin actually had some input on all the games in the series up to DiRT 2, so they really were "his" games. 

Personally I would have seen it as rather poor taste if they had carried on attaching his name to the titles released after his death, as he clearly wouldn't have made any contribution to them.

I am very glad the series has carried on though and that they have managed to include of lot of McRae references in all the subsequent rally games. 
I think this is the reason they said they would drop the name was in respect for him. There is always a bit of him in each game though!

@tbtstt

Yes, they were his really his games up until his death. All of the other DiRT games onwards, seem to be still his games, but then not really because he is not alive. They are and they aren't. It's that sort of situation.

Yes, I am glad the games continued though, but it's a bit odd why there was 6 year gap between DiRT 3 and Dirt 4. Alright, we did get DiRT: Showdown in 2012 and DiRT Rally in 2016, but these being spin-off's and being really in a series on their own, does not to me count as the main games. The main DiRT games to me are: Colin McRae: DiRT, Colin McRae: DiRT 2, DiRT 3 and DiRT 4. I am sure many of us, will agree with me here, on this.

@SirPhilMcKraken

Well at least there is a bit of Colin McRae in each DiRT game, so they can be still classed as Colin McRae games. I hope that all future DiRT games will be classed as Colin McRae games. It's the right thing to do.

McStanley

It's a very good thing that Codies keep some homages to Colin in each of their games, I discovered rallying thanks to DiRT Rally and thanks to the Legend Edition I got to know better McRae and his legacy. I'm glad I've had this opportunity even though I was 6 when he died.

That's a good comment there you made there carpa. I was 11 when Colin died.

I hope Codemaster never discontinue producing DiRT games and I really hope they keep producing them in Colin McRae's honour. I thought they had done though, with the long gap between DiRT 3 and DiRT 4, excluding the spin-off's, DiRT,: Showdown and DiRT Rally.

McStanley

You two were 6 and 11 when McRae died? Fuck, I feel old...

...stil, nice to see the next generation of rally fans appreciating him! 

I can't comment about carpa, as I don't know he or she in real life, but I can confirm myself that yes, I was 11 when Colin McRae died in 2007. I am 21 now, in 2017.

I do still appreciate Colin and I always will, for the rest of my life.

McStanley

tbtstt said:
You two were 6 and 11 when McRae died? ****, I feel old...

You feel old?!  I was 36!  I remember when Group B cars were all the rage, but never really understood and appreciated how actually insane rallying was in those days...

cjr3559 said:
tbtstt said:

You feel old?!  I was 36!  I remember when Group B cars were all the rage, but never really understood and appreciated how actually insane rallying was in those days...
Hurrah, I'm not the oldest one in the thread! :smiley:

I can confirm, I was six when he died. I was born in 2001

tbtstt said:

You don't have to feel old, you've had the opportunity to live his best feats ;)
I think it's great that thanks to the DiRT series younger generations can know Colin and the history of this sport, that's why DR will always have a special place in my collection of games

Sorry, you were 40 in 2007 when Colin passed away or you are 40 now? I hope this does not come out and too personal. I am very sorry if it is.

McStanley