Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Difference Between DiRT Rally and DiRT 4?

Slowish said:
In basic handling terms, Dirt Rally is too loose, Dirt4 is too tight. 
Are you talking about rally or rallycross, because those two things behave completely differently in DiRT4. RX feels just right in D4

Didzis said:
Slowish said:
Are you talking about rally or rallycross, because those two things behave completely differently in DiRT4. RX feels just right in D4
RX in D4 is good, but the gravel should be looser. That is still one thing that could be improved upon.

Didzis said:
Slowish said:

I feel the grip levels (maybe influenced by weight) are still too high in Dirt4 RallyX; it works better because the cars have more power to work with but, back to back comparison to PC2 RallyX reveals much more natural flow and better overall handling and FFB in PC2 IMO. I do think SMS have struck upon a very good balance in physics / tire-model for dirt surfaces in PC2.  Their Tarmac needs refinement to provide the proper margins at the limit but, they are getting closer and I'd like to see them reach that point before attempting a full-on Rally title.

The margin of control at the limit is key for any good title to be convincing but, it needs to be there - no matter the surface. It's a key ingredient to make any simulation immersive and fun; without it, it's just a numbers game for competition.

Sounds of tyres loosing tracktion is essential, I think.
Forza 6 was same sound all over - no nuance.
Even PC1 was better at that and feedback in controller running on track edge was excellent.

Problem for me with PC1 was mostly so poorly documented what's on the screen for various realtime statistics to really learn and have fun tweaking car. What is temperature on tyres after each lap and similar. I downloaded every document and watch a lot of youtube and found some answers - but lost interest in that game. with a button you switched driver seat and camera for leaders, car in front of you or even after you - but nothing documented on these things. It's like any poorly documented software that you never can exploint to potential - and the fun goes away.

There a lot of guessing also how depot visit affect not only you, but AI etc. I guess developer hate to document things, they just love coding. this in DR and PC1 too. You know depot visit affect your time - but how does it affect AI in the race - meaning should I stay on or visit depot is always lost case???
If there are tutorials on this I missed it.

Lot's of things you don't know how it affect your game - you loose interest - I know I do anyway.

I tweaked BMW M3 in Forza 6 to B598 - how does it affect if it goes into class C?
I never learned exactly what these classes mean - in broad terms yes - but fully no.
Can car be downgraded for one race only?

A lot of loose ends - that you maybe learned if doing the first game in the series.

Gravel hitting chassis add to real feel too. It's been so long now since running DR I forgot if it was there. But did good at bumpy ride feel on RX at least.

DiRT 4 (for me anyway) was a big disappointment. Except for the Rallycross, which I think is pretty good. DiRT Rally is just something else. I've never played a rally game that's felt so authentic. The huge difference (I think) is that in DiRT Rally, all of the stages are real world stages, laser scanned. This creates (especially in Wales) incredible realism with off-camber corners, bumps and dips on one side of the road...all of which will seriously effect your drive and ability to stay on the road. The co-driver in DR is WAY more authentic than D4, and if you listen, you'll be fine. D4 is just too vanilla, not to mention the randomly generated stages aren't that random at all, rather are tiles of road (and far too few of them) that are easily recognizable after a few goes.

Even the FFB is DR is far superior to D4. On my wheel, I can feel all four tires individually, where D4 lacks enough feeling that it's visual cues only....in DR, you could feel your grip slipping away. I don't know, I even feel that DR looked way more authentic and less "cartoony" is that makes any sense. As an example, by PS4 died few months ago and all of my saved data with it. I've replaced it with a PS4 Pro. Dirt 4 hasn't (and probably won't) make it into that machine. I am happily re-doing DiRT Rally from the start and enjoying it as much (I'm much better now than when I first got it, so that's rewarding) as I did the first time. DiRT seems to me like a real rally simulator and D4 seems like an attempt to cater to a bigger crowd.

Finally, if you like a challenge, you're definitely on the right track with Project CARS 2. That's an awesome game, in the way it feels...sounds...and looks.

Habsolute said:

DiRT 4 (for me anyway) was a big disappointment. Except for the Rallycross, which I think is pretty good. DiRT Rally is just something else. I've never played a rally game that's felt so authentic. The huge difference (I think) is that in DiRT Rally, all of the stages are real world stages, laser scanned. This creates (especially in Wales) incredible realism with off-camber corners, bumps and dips on one side of the road...all of which will seriously effect your drive and ability to stay on the road. The co-driver in DR is WAY more authentic than D4, and if you listen, you'll be fine. D4 is just too vanilla, not to mention the randomly generated stages aren't that random at all, rather are tiles of road (and far too few of them) that are easily recognizable after a few goes.

Even the FFB is DR is far superior to D4. On my wheel, I can feel all four tires individually, where D4 lacks enough feeling that it's visual cues only....in DR, you could feel your grip slipping away. I don't know, I even feel that DR looked way more authentic and less "cartoony" is that makes any sense. As an example, by PS4 died few months ago and all of my saved data with it. I've replaced it with a PS4 Pro. Dirt 4 hasn't (and probably won't) make it into that machine. I am happily re-doing DiRT Rally from the start and enjoying it as much (I'm much better now than when I first got it, so that's rewarding) as I did the first time. DiRT seems to me like a real rally simulator and D4 seems like an attempt to cater to a bigger crowd.

Finally, if you like a challenge, you're definitely on the right track with Project CARS 2. That's an awesome game, in the way it feels...sounds...and looks.

Where did you get the information that dirt rally tracks were laser scanned ?

Habsolute said:

The huge difference (I think) is that in DiRT Rally, all of the stages are real world stages, laser scanned. 

They aren't. Codies have stated multiple times, that they used a lot of reference photos and the good old tape measure. 

I thought that in a near future we could have a lot of roads laser scanned, because autonomous cars laser scan the roads they drives, so if a company reclutes all that data they could make sort of Google earth laser scanned 

EDIT: Apologies, posted a reply in the wrong thread! Nothing to see here, move along...