Sign in to follow this  

No more 1 stop race strategies? Plus unable to remove stint in 2 stop race strategy to make a 1 stop

Question

(PS4 1.9)

I've completed 5 races since update 1.9 came out and I've noticed what I think is a very obvious bug in the race strategy.
Before the update the "high tyre management" was usually a 1 stop, but now it's ALWAYS a 2 stop - regardless of how you did in the race strategy practice program (even when completed with minimal tyre wear).
Obviously a 2 stop is not high tyre managment, and should be changed back to 1 stop. The "low tyre managment" is now a 3 stop as well when it should be a 2 stop.

To compound this issue you can no longer "remove stint" in the edit strategy screen to change the suggested 2 stop to a 1 stop. But you can in a 3 stop to make it a 2 stop still.

Is that a restriction now been forced on players? No more 1 stops strategies?

Seems ridiculous when most races are actually 1 stops and the AI still do 1 stops.

There wasn't a bug previously and it was absolutely fine, so if it has been changed, why??

And if it has been changed, it needs to be reverted back ASAP (1.10).

Also while on the subject of the race strategy screen, the icons for the used tyres (from quali) where the an outline is used rather than a solid circle need to be implemented as well. Having them the same is just confusing and it'snearly impossible to tell which set of which tyre has been used. Alternatively the tyre wear for each set could be shown. Both would be ideal.

Cheers

7 answers to this question

Just change the first and second stint tyres to what you need and ignore Jeff's call or change the start tyre or the second stint tyre if top 10 (sometimes by adding a third stint) or change manually in the MFD.

I think this is still tied into the mandatory tyre set bug somehow as well.

What tracks did you test this on, and on what length? Most of the time 1-stopping on 100% is not a good idea in this game and neither is tyre saving in general.

Coffer said:
What tracks did you test this on, and on what length? Most of the time 1-stopping on 100% is not a good idea in this game and neither is tyre saving in general.
Don't do 100% distance, league races are 50%. Only raced 3 so far, first 3. IIRC they were all two stop. Some 1 stopped at BAH.

Coffer said:
Don't do 100% distance, league races are 50%. Only raced 3 so far, first 3. IIRC they were all two stop. Some 1 stopped at BAH.
Yeah the series has always been miserably balanced at 50%. Sounds as though they may have made a minor change in the calculation of the total race time based on the pit stops, though I don't get why they would tweak that at all since it was fine before. The weird thing here is that you can't remove your second stint, almost as though the actual wear was tweaked as well, which shouldn't be happening. Do you have any screenshots of a default race strategy prior to the patch? If so, you may want to test and see what the wear graphs are like post-patch in comparison.

I can confirm  , that you cannot on a 50 % Race  , delete Stint 2 .

So we are just all ignoring Jeff and going 1 stop regardless ??

I can confirm  , that you cannot on a 50 % Race  , delete Stint 2 .

So we are just all ignoring Jeff and going 1 stop regardless ??
Be careful with that, seemed to lead to one or two of those teleport to pit issues in extreme cases

50% or 100% doesn't matter. Same story with both.

I did a 50% wet race at Brazil starting on fresh inters and the suggested "high tyre management" strategy was a 2 stop with 3 sets of fresh intermediates, which is just overkill! I completely ignored the race strategy and just did my own thing, did a 1 stop easily and didn't have to manage or even think about tyre wear at all. They were around 40% wear at the end of each stint. Whenwhile every AI car did a 2 stop (which is just stupid) and I was able to finish ridiculously high because of that.

100% race suggests 2 stop everytime as well and again anable to delete a stint. 

My point is that 2 stopping you really don't have to manage tyre wear and it's definitley not a "high tyre management" strategy. Definte bug, needs fixing..

Like I said before I think it was fine before and seems like it's been changed for no real reason..

Waiting to hear from a dev on this

mattplev said:
50% or 100% doesn't matter. Same story with both.

I did a 50% wet race at Brazil starting on fresh inters and the suggested "high tyre management" strategy was a 2 stop with 3 sets of fresh intermediates, which is just overkill! I completely ignored the race strategy and just did my own thing, did a 1 stop easily and didn't have to manage or even think about tyre wear at all. They were around 40% wear at the end of each stint. Whenwhile every AI car did a 2 stop (which is just stupid) and I was able to finish ridiculously high because of that.

100% race suggests 2 stop everytime as well and again anable to delete a stint. 

My point is that 2 stopping you really don't have to manage tyre wear and it's definitley not a "high tyre management" strategy. Definte bug, needs fixing..

Like I said before I think it was fine before and seems like it's been changed for no real reason..

Waiting to hear from a dev on this
Keep in mind that the AI is extremely slow in the wet and generally very easily beatable unless you have to go with a dry setup, and even then you should be faster. I'm not convinced that 1-stopping on 100% would actually give you that much more pace over the 2-stopper in that scenario, if any at all, even accounting for the reasonably low wear of the inters, so it sounds like 50% is what really needs to be fixed.

You may want to test this out in the dry as the AI is generally better able to make use of its pace (and that of fresh tyres) in those conditions. I was able to make a 40-lap supersoft stint work in Austria while defending against Hamilton and Bottas in the Haas, but it was painfully clear that it wasn't the fastest approach as I lost 20-30 seconds relative to the Red Bulls (which I was demolishing before that) by doing this.