Jump to content Jump to content

2017 MAGA United States Grand Prix

MBKF1

Pretty much what I expected in the end, overall a quite boring race. Yet another race I feel you could watch a 5 minute highlight reel of and pretty much get all the action in, far too many of those this year. Mind you, one or two races this year didn't even have/deserve a legit highlight reel. 

Without meaning to sound like Paul di Resta, ultimately, the penalty was deserved. It's clear cut he overtook him off the track. But at the same time, that is exactly the sort of hard, gutsy racing I want to see. I can't imagine any other driver going for it like Max did. But rules are rules.

What I don't like however are the wishy washy rules when it comes to track limits on the exits of corners. Why is it ok to run wide at some, but not others? It makes no sense to me. I'm still of the opinion (and have been for a couple of years now), that the white lines define the track at every single corner on every single circuit. You put 4 wheels over? You're breaking the track limits, even if you gain time or not. At least then the rules are clear.

Apparently this group is the only one where the consensus is it was a deserved penalty. I agree he deserved it. I get everyone yelling about consistency in enforcing rules but that fails to see a distinction in the incidents. I don't think running wide or being bullied off track by an overstaying car is the same as cutting a corner and gaining an advantage. Max cut the corner to over take someone, it's different than Lewis running wide during qualifying for instance. 

Of of course you don't leave the track unless to gain some advantage (or due to mistake) so the rules are iffy sometimes. So while it may seem inconsistent, it really actual makes sense this way imo. 

It sucks for Max, it was an amazing drive and would have been an epic pass if he didn't have to go off track to make it. 

Apparently this group is the only one where the consensus is it was a deserved penalty. I agree he deserved it. I get everyone yelling about consistency in enforcing rules but that fails to see a distinction in the incidents. I don't think running wide or being bullied off track by an overstaying car is the same as cutting a corner and gaining an advantage. Max cut the corner to over take someone, it's different than Lewis running wide during qualifying for instance. 

Of of course you don't leave the track unless to gain some advantage (or due to mistake) so the rules are iffy sometimes. So while it may seem inconsistent, it really actual makes sense this way imo. 

It sucks for Max, it was an amazing drive and would have been an epic pass if he didn't have to go off track to make it. 
Really? You haven’t looked hard enough then.

https://twitter.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/status/922422358979301377

He completly cut a corner to overtake, I’m not sure where the argument is. If I got overtaken like that racing online I’d be angry.

He completly cut a corner to overtake, I’m not sure where the argument is. 
Exactly, I appreciate that there has been inconsistency with the stewards, but no matter what category people race in, I have never come across a series where having all 4 wheels off on the inside of the track ("corner cutting") is allowed, and especially so when they are performing an overtake.

Personally, I don't have an issue with drivers going all 4 wheels off on the outside, as they are making the track longer, but I think any cutting on the inside, which is shortening the distance of the track, should be penalised (unless they are avoiding an accident etc.).

To be honest though, it was worth the risk for Max, as he wouldn't have another opportunity, and worst case scenario, the stewards would give Kimi 3rd place.

The CGI eagle was definitely weird, but I honestly quite enjoyed the rest of the US style build up! Why not change things up now and again? It's good for the fans and casual viewers to see all the drivers introduced one by one.

AMS97KRR said:
The intro was bad, felt very tacky. In my view if new fans want to find out more about the drivers, visit wikipedia.
But who's gonna do that, honestly. Lets take a sport I'm not interested in for example, lets say cricket. I'm not gonna waste 5 minutes going on Wikipedia trying to find out who everyone is. Which casual viewer of F1 is gonna do the same? They just want to know straight away who's racing and some little bits of information about them.

MBKF1 said:
AMS97KRR said:
The intro was bad, felt very tacky. In my view if new fans want to find out more about the drivers, visit wikipedia.
But who's gonna do that, honestly. Lets take a sport I'm not interested in for example, lets say cricket. I'm not gonna waste 5 minutes going on Wikipedia trying to find out who everyone is. Which casual viewer of F1 is gonna do the same? They just want to know straight away who's racing and some little bits of information about them.
You can always watch the race and then, If you liked it, go and do some reading. You might even end up reading stuff and becomming even more interested and then end up looking up other things.

Plus we do get the grid line up read out (similar to a team sheet in football), so they know who is racing. You don't see an intro for every player at football matches, so in my opinion there is no need for it here. 

Just my opinion of course.

I like the larger-than-life approach myself. They do it for NASCAR too. Even Kyle "Double Underchin" Busch looks like a badass because of it, imagine the wonders it would do for Felipe "YOU DARN KIDS STAY OFF MAH WILLIAMS SEAT" Massa.

Archived