Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 Russian Grand Prix @ Sochi

Should be an interesting race championship wise, track itself looks flowing, and should suit Williams quite well

I hope your right. It's generally good when redbull, ferrari(alonso) and williams are close. I've heard the track could be hard to pass on, so hopefully its still interesting. Has anyone heard how the F1 circus went getting out of Japan and over to Russia with the typhoon? I hear there is another on its way to Japan now.

Yes Super Typhoon Vongfong (love these names) is ravaging Japan at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they got out of Japan before it hit. I also heard that teams were only allowed parts directly from Japan due to import laws or something.

Yes Super Typhoon Vongfong (love these names) is ravaging Japan at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they got out of Japan before it hit. I also heard that teams were only allowed parts directly from Japan due to import laws or something.
Yeah some of the drivers left the hospital to take the bullet train to Tokyo to fly out the same night.

Helmut Marko said on Servus TV that Vettel will be using a 6th power unit this weekend, which means he will start from the pit lane and presumably not take part in qualifying because, well, what would be the point. 

Other than that though I'm always excited to see a new race on the calendar. And, against general consensus, I actually quite like the look of Sochi. The track does have a lot of 90 degree corners, but a lot of them come off high speed zones and several corners are also quite significantly off camber according to reporters who've walked the track today. So there is a lot to get right. Plus turn 3 looks pretty, shall we say, interesting. 

Should be an interesting race. I always like new circuits just because it's something new. Hopefully there's good overtake opportunities and good racing.

Anybody else think the circuit is kinda boring and uninteresting? It's basically Abu Dhabi mixed with Singapore, it has no real identity or stand-out features.

Also, even though on a lot of other websites people are commenting that Marussia should have run a second car, I think they've made the right decision in only racing one car this  weekend.

Anybody else think the circuit is kinda boring and uninteresting? It's basically Abu Dhabi mixed with Singapore, it has no real identity or stand-out features.

Also, even though on a lot of other websites people are commenting that Marussia should have run a second car, I think they've made the right decision in only racing one car this  weekend.
A new F1 track that is boring, uninteresting and lacks any sort of character? Never heard that before.....oh wait, yes I have

@APR193 Shall we take bets on how many years the Russian GP stays on the calendar?
I reckon it will be around for a while, but I'd like this to be its last year

APR193 said:
@APR193 Shall we take bets on how many years the Russian GP stays on the calendar?
Ok, how about this instead, will it remain on the calendar longer than Korea or India? :p 

APR193 said:
Ok, how about this instead, will it remain on the calendar longer than Korea or India? :p 
Or it will remain on the calendar until Marussia leaves F1 :p

APR193 said:
Have no idea. It will either be around for decades or only for 3-4 years.

It looks great, as in looks. The circuit design and run offs look sweet, but the actual track, a bit dull it seems. But it's only practice, so we might have a great race on Sunday.

The track looks awful. No overtaking corners at all by the looks of things.
I can understand why Marussia are only running Chilton's car, but I can't help but feel that Bianchi would've wanted them to race to the max.

fIsince08 said:
I can understand why Marussia are only running Chilton's car, but I can't help but feel that Bianchi would've wanted them to race to the max.
Pun intended?

AMS97KRR said:
fIsince08 said:
Pun intended?
I only realised it after I posted it :p

APR193 said:

A new F1 track that is boring, uninteresting and lacks any sort of character? Never heard that before.....oh wait, yes I have

fIsince08 said:
Really? You don't think there's even ONE corner where a car could overtake another car? Christ, I know it wasn't a thrilling practice session but at least give it a chance in a qualifying and race scenario. 

You bunch of old pessimists :P

VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:
Really? You don't think there's even ONE corner where a car could overtake another car? Christ, I know it wasn't a thrilling practice session but at least give it a chance in a qualifying and race scenario. 

You bunch of old pessimists :P

Why did you quote Chris instead of Dave? :p

until we've seen a race around the track I wouldn't judge it but it does look a lot like a Valencia style track to me. I think it's a kind of track I'd do well on in a racing game as it looks like it suits my style of racing as I was very strong around Valencia in the earlier CM games still enjoy racing it now when I play one of the older games

So the F1 stopped GP2 season because of the teams would have fuel consumption issues lol so what does that say for the F1 cars? lol