Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 Russian Grand Prix @ Sochi

I still find it funny that the stat still continues; Rosberg hasn't won a wheel to wheel battle this year with Hamilton, every time he either gets beaten or he bottles it himself (or causes a collision).

The only place he's beaten Lewis this year is at a track where overtaking is 95% impossible. 

Nevertheless Nico did a great drive to recover today to get that one two to guarantee the constructors title.  

Liam12d said:
I still find it funny that the stat still continues; Rosberg hasn't won a wheel to wheel battle this year with Hamilton, every time he either gets beaten or he bottles it himself (or causes a collision).

The only place he's beaten Lewis this year is at a track where overtaking is 95% impossible. 

Nevertheless Nico did a great drive to recover today to get that one two to guarantee the constructors title.  
Even if he didn't score they would still be champions due to Hamilton's win :p

Liam12d said:

After cheating his way to pole...

mike96 said:
Liam12d said:

Even if he didn't score they would still be champions due to Hamilton's win :p
Oh yeah!
It was a nice way to seal the deal though.  :D

@fIsince08 Whilst I would like to think so, I still don't buy the fact that he'd do it intentionally. 

If Nico wins this years WDC, he'll be the most undeserving F1 champion ever - and therefore beat his dad in this category.

If Nico wins this years WDC, he'll be the most undeserving F1 champion ever - and therefore beat his dad in this category.
Hard, since Keke only won 1 race in 1982 :p

mike96 said:
Hard, since Keke only won 1 race in 1982 :p
But his dad didn't have a dominant car that year.

Liam12d said:
Considering Lewis was on the back of Nico after lap 1 in Austria, I think that counts too. 

On the Mclaren situation though:
Magnussen is an extremely talented driver and has a bright future ahead of him. He's been very unlucky in a lot of races this season and has shown himself to have impressive pace in qualifying. As a rookie, that's the thing you want to see. Race craft and race pace can be easily improved upon with experience. A point to prove this would be that Nico Hulkenberg got pretty much dominated points wise by Barrichello in his debut season, and now he's one of the most highly rated drivers in the paddock. 

So, looking at the whole picture and not just the points situation, Magnussen would easily be my pick as the driver to take the team forwards for the future. 

AMS97KRR said:
Jiggy said:
I don't think that'll ever happen. And the entire rule doesn't make sense, but you won't be able to uphold it if there are no consequences for the driver benefitting from that info. At the end of the day, Hamilton also has a team of engineers around him and only him who are fighting with the team serving Rosberg. If one of them screws up, Team Hamilton screws up. Who else would you punish then?
Fine the team, the driver has no control over a radio transmission
The driver has no control over a botched pitstop either, but if they mess that one up, he's still getting a grid penalty the following race.
Hughesy said:
Jiggy said:
Hamilton basically ignoring Putin. Not sure if that is a good idea.

Scratch that, terrible idea, fix it Lewis before it's too late.
How exactly? He shook hands just like the other drivers...
He did? I must've missed that then.

VetteIfan said:
Liam12d said:
Considering Lewis was on the back of Nico after lap 1 in Austria, I think that counts too. 

Magnussen is an extremely talented driver and has a bright future ahead of him. He's been very unlucky in a lot of races this season and has shown himself to have impressive pace in qualifying. As a rookie, that's the thing you want to see. Race craft and race pace can be easily improved upon with experience. A point to prove this would be that Nico Hulkenberg got pretty much dominated points wise by Barrichello in his debut season, and now he's one of the most highly rated drivers in the paddock. 

So, looking at the whole picture and not just the points situation, Magnussen would easily be my pick as the driver to take the team forwards for the future. 
Yeah I guess actually, forgot about that race. The thing is its like, what, 9-5 to Lewis in wins? Also a similar stat, whenever both of them have started on the front row, Hamilton has come out on top every time I believe according to DC (minus Monaco of course).  

VetteIfan said:
Liam12d said:

About Hülkenberg and your argument about race pace being something that's naturally something that'll improve with experience, Hülkenberg hasn't exactly shown much improvement in that regard, has he? He is more highly rated now, but while his consistency is impressive, he hasn't ever been able to really get that one shock result, never got a podium either. He's dominating Perez in qualifying, but Perez is beating him on the track, especially in the most recent races. And Perez got dominated by Button. Also, Perez has been able to excel and get a podium, where Hulk hasn't cashed in on his opportunities. So at this moment, it seems like Hulkenberg is only fit for a Barrichello-role at a topteam, instead of a possible future World Champion.

Magnussen seems to be similiar as to where his inexperience meant he used to be unbelieveably quick at his day, but he was also wrecking himself out of the race when it wasn't his day. Now he has more consistency, but it also feels like he traded in pace for consistency. The same situation definitely happened with Grosjean, until he found a way to do both in the second half of last season. I wouldn't want to drop Magnussen, but personally, I'm not that impressed by him either and Button, although he's a level below the absolute top, he still is better than the majority of the grid and it also seems unfair for such a good driver to get axed. Kind of like a 2014-Damon Hill situation, long term planning over current form. Although in Hill's situation, it seemed to make more sense at the time to go for Villeneuve and Frentzen for the future.

Jiggy said:
VetteIfan said:
Liam12d said:

About Hülkenberg and your argument about race pace being something that's naturally something that'll improve with experience, Hülkenberg hasn't exactly shown much improvement in that regard, has he? He is more highly rated now, but while his consistency is impressive, he hasn't ever been able to really get that one shock result, never got a podium either. He's dominating Perez in qualifying, but Perez is beating him on the track, especially in the most recent races. And Perez got dominated by Button. Also, Perez has been able to excel and get a podium, where Hulk hasn't cashed in on his opportunities. So at this moment, it seems like Hulkenberg is only fit for a Barrichello-role at a topteam, instead of a possible future World Champion.

Magnussen seems to be similiar as to where his inexperience meant he used to be unbelieveably quick at his day, but he was also wrecking himself out of the race when it wasn't his day. Now he has more consistency, but it also feels like he traded in pace for consistency. The same situation definitely happened with Grosjean, until he found a way to do both in the second half of last season. I wouldn't want to drop Magnussen, but personally, I'm not that impressed by him either and Button, although he's a level below the absolute top, he still is better than the majority of the grid and it also seems unfair for such a good driver to get axed. Kind of like a 2014-Damon Hill situation, long term planning over current form. Although in Hill's situation, it seemed to make more sense at the time to go for Villeneuve and Frentzen for the future.
Wasn't it the back end of last year where Hulkenberg consistently took that Sauber up to positions it shouldn't have been in? Didn't he get like 4th in Monza and like 5th or 6th in Korea? 

It is all well and good getting "one shock result", but Perez did that, landed at McLaren, got sacked because he couldn't reproduce that shock result and then landed back where he started. Consistently finishing in the points is what wins a title, if he had a top car he'd consistently finish higher up the points and then he has a real chance of winning titles. 

And also, Hulkenberg has 76 points to Perez's 47. Seriously, put Hulkenberg in a winning car and he'll be in that top 5 at every race.

Also remember Hulkenberg started way behind Perez through no fault of his own and finished only 2 places further back.

Liam12d said:
VetteIfan said:
Liam12d said:

Yeah I guess actually, forgot about that race. The thing is its like, what, 9-5 to Lewis in wins? Also a similar stat, whenever both of them have started on the front row, Hamilton has come out on top every time I believe according to DC (minus Monaco of course).  
It's actually 9-4 in terms of wins.

Wow even worse than I thought. I just hope the wrong guy doesn't win it again, just like 2012. 

Liam12d said:
Wow even worse than I thought. I just hope the wrong guy doesn't win it again, just like 2012. 
Tbf, Vettel deserved the 2012 title much more than Rosberg would deserve this years title (if he doesn't dominate the last three races).

Liam12d said:
Tbf, Vettel deserved the 2012 title much more than Rosberg would deserve this years title (if he doesn't dominate the last three races).
Yeah, at least Vettel beat Webber in straight fights!

Apparently Helmut Marko described the race as the most boring he's ever seen.

fIsince08 said:
Liam12d said:
Yeah, at least Vettel beat Webber in straight fights!

Apparently Helmut Marko described the race as the most boring he's ever seen.
I might actually agree with him on something. It wasn't great. Although as I said earlier, the track wasn't the issue, it was the tyres IMO. Vettel did more laps on the softs (something like 30 wasn't it?) than on mediums and Rosberg finished 2nd after 52 laps on mediums. SS tyres might make it more interesting although I get the feeling it could still be a 1 stopper with only SS and S as they might stretch out Softs more and take the risk. 

Jiggy said:
VetteIfan said:
Liam12d said:

Is not getting that one shock result really defining of Hulkenberg's improvement through his career in a race sense though? If I was a team boss the traits I'd be looking for in a driver with "future world champion" written over him would be to have that consistency of very good performances, rather than the two or three excellent performances throughout a season. Comparing him with Perez, even on the day Perez had one of those excellent performances in Bahrain, Hulkenberg was still a match for him throughout the race on pace. I think he's just been unlucky more than anything on not yet having "cashed in" on a podium opportunity.  

Well that was a dull race. I was on my phone for most of the middle of it doing other stuff which hasn't happened before.

A dominant win for Lewis though, he deserves this title so much. 9 wins compared to Rosberg's 4, plus 3 DNF's where he had a great chance at winning those, plus Qualy issues mid-season which hampered some races.

It is crazy to think though that if Lewis wins the next two races in Austin and Brazil, and Nico gets 2nd in Abu Dhabi with Lewis retiring that Rosberg will be champion with 4 wins compared to Lewis' 11. That would not be right.

I think it was the tyres that made the race dull, because the track clearly has the potential for producing great racing, just look at GP2 and GP3. I think a safety car would have really spiced it up a bit too.

Mmm. Indeed. They must've gone through your parents' 80-year old rubbish.
I've read that shortly before lunch. Needless to say I didn't enjoy lunch today.