Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt Rally 2 News

well logic would say Dirt rally 2.0 the natural sim like brother to Dirt rally is next. shouldn't or wouldn't have to change much from Dirt rally and add more and would be a success. the only thing is codies have put a lot of effort with making ties and promoting rally x. so maybe a sole rally x game is in the works.i know if i was in charge and seen a rally cross only game it would be straight off the chalk board. the thing is if you invest so much in something and its different after " Dirt 4 " it may seem a good option. i cant see how it could be anything but a fail financially.

Dirt 5 would obviously or probably carry on as the normal arcade type franchise of Dirt 2/3/4.

i just hope that if Dirt 2.0 is ready to get going and if it is next they will be working on it now seeing how titles have to be made now frequently at big studios that they start getting the marketing right and how they going to present it. definitely needs to be more of a distinction between the sim side and the arcade side i feel. so players know what to expect from each Codemasters rally game released.

i've just buyed  wrc 7  to see how it is............        and i FEEL  THE NEED OF A DIRT RALLY 2.0 DESPERATELY!!!

dgeesi0 said:
well logic would say Dirt rally 2.0 the natural sim like brother to Dirt rally is next. shouldn't or wouldn't have to change much from Dirt rally and add more and would be a success. the only thing is codies have put a lot of effort with making ties and promoting rally x. so maybe a sole rally x game is in the works.i know if i was in charge and seen a rally cross only game it would be straight off the chalk board. the thing is if you invest so much in something and its different after " Dirt 4 " it may seem a good option. i cant see how it could be anything but a fail financially.

Dirt 5 would obviously or probably carry on as the normal arcade type franchise of Dirt 2/3/4.

i just hope that if Dirt 2.0 is ready to get going and if it is next they will be working on it now seeing how titles have to be made now frequently at big studios that they start getting the marketing right and how they going to present it. definitely needs to be more of a distinction between the sim side and the arcade side i feel. so players know what to expect from each Codemasters rally game released.
I don't think any racing games are selling well at the moment. PCars 2 looks like it sank without a trace off the charts - I think F1 will beat it for sales. Dirt 4 doesn't look like it has done too well. Forza and GT OK, but nowhere near as well as before. FH3 seems the exception - still selling well now.

Trouble is when you do games like Dirt 4 with rallycross and real tracks, music etc there is a whole load of risk because of the up front costs.

With Dirt Rally DLC there is no licence fee (I think). Just do another 120km of road and charge 20 quid for it. Would I pay 20 quid for doubling DRs rally content ? Hell yes.

Didzis said:
dirt3joe said:
Sounds like Dirt Rally 2 is a done deal.
Dirt Rally 3 is where the real gossip is.
You mean DiRT 5, right?
After people wanted more cars in Dirt Rally 2 we've decided to replace all of the real cars with proceduraly generated ones for Dirt 5.

adsadsads said:
Didzis said:
dirt3joe said:
You mean DiRT 5, right?
After people wanted more cars in Dirt Rally 2 we've decided to replace all of the real cars with proceduraly generated ones for Dirt 5.
"Billions and billions of combinations"

9 cars and 3 liveries

DoubleTen said:
adsadsads said:
Didzis said:
dirt3joe said:
You mean DiRT 5, right?
"Billions and billions of combinations"

9 cars and 3 liveries
That way we could get the legendary Subaraudi S1E22bbWRCXRSTEvo though ;)

DiRT Rally 2 has arrived  ;) guess we now know why we get no love for DiRT4. They are to busy with F1 2017 and ONRUSH :). I think it is only for consoles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWod7fQNRoM

DiRT Rally 2 has arrived  ;) guess we now know why we get no love for DiRT4. They are to busy with F1 2017 and ONRUSH :). I think it is only for consoles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWod7fQNRoM

How can i unsubscribe from Racenet Codemasters? :D :D :D

Disappointed here with this trailer , looks something between Motorstorm and Fuel .. :( I wa\s expecting a Drive Club style game (assuming this is made by Evolution studios...)

its obvious that they were acquired to do a title/s.no one should be shocked by that.i am surprised though that onrush is the title they made.especially how so many love drive club style game. until ive played it cant say good or bad though can you.could be amazing fun.

I do remember many loving Motorstorm though, which is what this game is an obvious spiritual sequel to. I hoped there are some rally cars in onrush. That was my fav class in the Motorstorm games

a rocketleague slash motorstorm style game makes sense for console.will probably sell well.which is its aim isnt it.

i like many expected the first title from them to be something like Driveclub but maybe the new grand turismo and other titles made them rethink that.

dgeesi0 said:
a rocketleague slash motorstorm style game makes sense for console.will probably sell well.which is its aim isnt it.

i like many expected the first title from them to be something like Driveclub but maybe the new grand turismo and other titles made them rethink that.
I can imagine that the warm reception WRC 7 is getting from players is making Codies re-think rally, too. If Kylotonn can make another big step forward with 8 next year then a competing Codies game will really need to be something special. And I bet before 2020 Milestone does another rally sim. And then there's Ian Bell talking about making an offroad game, too. Crowded market for such a niche genre.

WRC 7 has stepped away from the ‘gamey’ theme.  Handling is improved,  stages are tough & realistic.  It’s enjoyable because of that.

Dirt Rally did the same.  It was Rally for grown-ups and clicked.

Whoever decided that DiRT 4 should be softened to appeal to ‘gamers’, is responsible for it flopping.  We’ve played average feeling soft Rally games.  I still can’t get me head around Gamer and Sim mode.  That was the answer, but both modes were PlayStation 2

Hardware has moved on from the good ole days.  People who have invested in a big PC rig or next-gen console, expect more than some 16 bit 2D arcade joystick gaming.  They want to be immersed into something that they either can’t afford to do for real, or to do something that is too dangerous to do for real.  & they want that experience to be as authentic as possible.

We’ve had ‘same old’ for years.  Technology is moving at an immense pace, the software needs to do the same to be desired.

With DiRT Rally2, you need to Go hard, or go home...

lol so true ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ditto those thoughts man.I think the new crowd in 2017 is in for simming ,rather than gaming 

i think a lot has to do with the virtual world and how its replicated has become more popular,and bringing people feeling the same over from racing titles 

I too would pay ~20 euro/pound/dollar for more stages on some DLC shit. And I hate DLC.

I copped WRC 7 and while enjoying, it is not DR by far. There is no depth in the road; no real crashes when going off path; no fear of your car landing wrong and spinning out of control after a big Finnish jump; almost no consequences with crashes. Plus it just feels like your car is sliding on ice, regardless of the type of road.

If they are making a DiRT Rally 2 though, I would love a historical carreer mode where you travel from the 60's, 70's, 80s(!) up to contemporary times; They kinda imply that already in DR, seeing that you start with the Mini Cooper.

FreekKeesen said : I copped WRC 7 and while enjoying, it is not DR by far. There is no depth in the road; no real crashes when going off path; no fear of your car landing wrong and spinning out of control after a big Finnish jump; almost no consequences with crashes. Plus it just feels like your car is sliding on ice, regardless of the type of road.

And how can you enjoy a game with so many disadvantages so dude..? :p :p
Really i can not fidn anything interesting in WRC 7 , i consider this game as one of the worst racing games ever played..

DiRT 4 is a great Rallycross game. The rally portion is severely pale in comparison to DiRT Rally.

I really hope that they can manage to scan a few stages in Australia, Corsica, Kenya and France. Include the stages they already have in DiRT. Build the Rallycross section to have ALL the locations and you'd have a complete rally sim. I don't think they need to do a damn thing with the physics, other than maybe limit the grip on tarmac a smidge.

I think I'm dreaming, but sometimes hope's all we got :-)

We can only ever guess at what proportion of racers use a wheel. Remember CM probably know exactly and therefore know exactly how much effort to put into it.

My guess is less than 20% of users on consoles use wheels. 
We can get a pretty good idea from racenet. For PS4 it seems to be about 40%, looking at recent events....although that could be because more casual players have moved on to Dirt 4 or WRC7.

The dirt 4 events give a clearer view of the sort of people who play simcade vs gamer mode. Last time I looked the split was about 70/30 on PC, 50/50 on PS4 and 80/20 on Xbox. If I were planning the direction of my next game I'd want to know at that.

KevM said:
WRC 7 has stepped away from the ‘gamey’ theme.  Handling is improved,  stages are tough & realistic.  It’s enjoyable because of that.

Dirt Rally did the same.  It was Rally for grown-ups and clicked.

Whoever decided that DiRT 4 should be softened to appeal to ‘gamers’, is responsible for it flopping.  We’ve played average feeling soft Rally games.  I still can’t get me head around Gamer and Sim mode.  That was the answer, but both modes were PlayStation 2

Hardware has moved on from the good ole days.  People who have invested in a big PC rig or next-gen console, expect more than some 16 bit 2D arcade joystick gaming.  They want to be immersed into something that they either can’t afford to do for real, or to do something that is too dangerous to do for real.  & they want that experience to be as authentic as possible.

We’ve had ‘same old’ for years.  Technology is moving at an immense pace, the software needs to do the same to be desired.

With DiRT Rally2, you need to Go hard, or go home...
Depends how you define flop. Head over to VGChartz and have a look at the sales for WRC7, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 and PCars 2.

It's brutal out there at the moment. CM relative sales are not too bad. There is little evidence that going sim is going to produce big sales. I do believe that the uptake rate on Dirt Rally DLC would be very high. But then there are maybe all sorts of reasons in the background as to why it might not be possible.

I think a lot of the driving game devs must be scratching their heads atm trying to find the correct formula.

Codies sell games by cutting the tripe out of pricing if things aren’t going well.  

Sales charts are skewed due to pricing.  Which is a better quality game?  One that’s selling 200k units at £50 a pop or one that sells 250k units at a reduced £15 price?