Sign in to follow this  

Tyre Wear

The best I can seem to achieve in Race Strategy in Career Mode P sessions is .83x. I'm normally closer to .75x. I run 50% distance.

Most of my setups I try and keep middle of the road-ish when it comes to Suspension, etc.

I usually run 5ish on my Aero. 50% ON, 70% OFF on my Diff. Tyres are usually middle, or maybe one lower.

I'm very conscientious about over-revving, either during acceleration and/or breaking and decelerating.

It seems to me I should have lower tyre wear.

- Does anyone average in the .90x's? Or even 1.00+x's?

- What do y'all think the biggest factors are in a setup for tyre wear? - I mean, I know what it "says" in the Setup menu about each adjustable element - just wondering if there is something in between the lines that I'm not catching onto.

- I drive with Med TC and ABS --- I'm starting to wonder if these are the major factors. Probably getting penalized for using these crutches.

- Does the majority of you believe it is primarily Driver Style/Smoothness?

EDIT: Guess I should've added: Team HAAS -- could be and probably is a factor as well. The team has extremely low Aero, and Chassis isn't much higher.

Also a lot of people reporting massive tyre wear with MTC now that codemasters has changed it. I noticed it last night chewed thu my super softs when pre patch 1.9 they were ok. I understand they with MTC changed they will be a difference but it seems too much. 

izoazlion said:
Are you changing Fuel to Lean in tight corners? Helps hugely. Then once it hooks up back to standard

Wow. No I haven't been micro-managing to that extent. Figured the 50% ON Throttle would do the trick. Not sure I'm skilled enough to do that on the controller. But will look into that during race. 
Also a lot of people reporting massive tyre wear with MTC now that codemasters has changed it. I noticed it last night chewed thu my super softs when pre patch 1.9 they were ok. I understand they with MTC changed they will be a difference but it seems too much. 

I was mainly curious if anyone else was having much more success....or was I pretty much performing ok. 

It also makes sense that they want room for improvement in the R&D upgrades in Career anyway. 

Thanks for the feedback

With a controller it might be hard but leave the menu up for it, then just before the braking section hit it to lean. That way its already where you need it before you accelerate again.

Also noticing a MAJOR difference between tracks — of course I always knew it was there to a degree, but I’ve got a .93x in Mexico.

But I will definitely tryout the Lean trick in tight corners.

Tyre wear is based on driving style. Try adjusting your steering linearity and steering deadzone if you find yourself exerting too much force on the pad. I changed the settings to make it more responsive and better. I only use one setting and not change it from track to track. I normally have 0.3 delta on the tyres or at Spain 0.4. Also, suggest not going high revs as it also destroys the power unit parts. I find it absurd that in a 25% online race in Singapore equal cars, I managed to make my US tyres last 10 laps and they were at 43% on the rears and 35% on the fronts. I only changed tyres because everyone behind me, since I was leading as I stayed out, was going significantly quicker by 0.5 seconds. You also need to hit the braking points well, and release the brakes at a good time. Try to also reduce the brake pressure as I find that this absolutely destroys your tyres if you are a late braker. I normally run 75% because it is a superb compromise between wear and performance. Do not go up to 80% if you are late brakers, it might be too much.

If on a controller you can map the right analog to change fuel mix up and down I’m on a controller and it helps a lot. 
Very good for managing your fuel too

It’s mental how much the tyre wear has increased on MTC. Every race is a two stop now. Russia is borderline a 2 stop if you don’t want to use softs 

Tyre wear is based on driving style. Try adjusting your steering linearity and steering deadzone if you find yourself exerting too much force on the pad. I changed the settings to make it more responsive and better. I only use one setting and not change it from track to track. I normally have 0.3 delta on the tyres or at Spain 0.4. Also, suggest not going high revs as it also destroys the power unit parts. I find it absurd that in a 25% online race in Singapore equal cars, I managed to make my US tyres last 10 laps and they were at 43% on the rears and 35% on the fronts. I only changed tyres because everyone behind me, since I was leading as I stayed out, was going significantly quicker by 0.5 seconds. You also need to hit the braking points well, and release the brakes at a good time. Try to also reduce the brake pressure as I find that this absolutely destroys your tyres if you are a late braker. I normally run 75% because it is a superb compromise between wear and performance. Do not go up to 80% if you are late brakers, it might be too much.
To be fair it’s proven 25% races have less tyre wear than 50%... for some odd reason

kingmjj said:

To be fair it’s proven 25% races have less tyre wear than 50%... for some odd reason
Less enough to do a full race without stopping on the Ultrasoft tyres? 

@DEECO

Easy solution:

"Become Jenson Button mate!" ;)
@LilBrown47

Well.

I WOULD like to win more than 3 races though.

;-p

Here are my recent tyre wear tests with an xbox elite controller. I play on 80-85 difficulty during practice to get a feel as to where I should put it during the race, then up it to 90-100 during the race depending on how well I do.

I use auto gears and medium TC/no TC after a while due to practice. It's really difficult with a controller IMO to get good tyre wear. These were done before mods were available on the PC.

Ryne said:
Here are my recent tyre wear tests with an xbox elite controller. I play on 80-85 difficulty during practice to get a feel as to where I should put it during the race, then up it to 90-100 during the race depending on how well I do.

I use auto gears and medium TC/no TC after a while due to practice. It's really difficult with a controller IMO to get good tyre wear. These were done before mods were available on the PC.

Looks almost exactly like the results I’m seeing. 

Thank you. As I said, I just started wondering if I was “off” the norm. 

Cheers