Sign in to follow this  

Grid/Codemaster's killer

Based on what I'm reading it sounds to me like it's more an online problem really in that CM struggle to figure out how to do a good online experience. Single player wise all their games are great as I've not hada problem with any of CM's games including Autosport in terms of making them work and run as they should.

According to CM's blog - "We’ve been tinkering with VR for a while now and have reached the stage where we believe it’s working ..."

Is this the same reassuring QA process that precedes a patch release?

kimdurose said:
According to CM's blog - "We’ve been tinkering with VR for a while now and have reached the stage where we believe it’s working ..."

Is this the same reassuring QA process that precedes a patch release?

Just the complete game.
Patches dont need testing, Code"masters" makes them.  

Masters of the code.  

I think this is it for CM.  Its their last old gen game.  Im not going to bother wasting my money on their 1st attempt on the current gen.  They still haven't managed to master the old gen after nearly a decade.  

LMAO.  Its sad, but you just got to laugh at them.  
They are the "Betamax" of the video game industry. 

Iam in the situation that i have for example on the pc, GAS and Assetto, on the PS4 Driveclub and on the xbox1 Forza Horizon2,  and guess what.... i like them all in there own ways.

Now i must say in honestley that iam more an offline player, especially in GAS and Assetto, not bcz it dont work well but more the people who play online have many bugs and issues. With friends? no problem and it works well, with random people? well 7 out of ten sessions have *lag* and other problems etc bcz of the people in it.

Driveclub is an online game but.....online doesnt work yet lol, Forza does but i didnt play it much online.

But bout GAS, well its a fantastic game (for me), i like it verry much and give alot credits for it to CM, i havent encountered any prob so far and ofc there are things which arent or wherent good, but what game doent have that.

Iam verry satisfyed with GAS on the pc, and feel srry for the people who have game problems with it

Oscar97 said:
How can you be such an asshole? The games aren't bad because of the devs, they're bad because of the company. Grid AS is free of massive glitches, so it's been well programmed. The thing is, the company wants MOAR money, so these games are full of DLCs. Nothing to do with the devs.
So now, pCARS, Assetto Corsa and so on has no DLCs?

Mind you, even before full release, Assetto Corsa has 2 DLCs lined up. One with Spa that is free for Early Access owners and the other one with Nords. They also teased another one in far future with Oulton Park. There might be also DLCs that bring in other announced cars such as Toyota TS040, Audi R8 GT3 and Ruf CTR3

While pCARS, there is 1 DLCs in production now, there is a 90s based DLC with Mclaren F1 GTR, BMW V12 VMR and so on. Then, a few DLCs are planned such one for classic tracks DLC with classic Silverstone, Monza, Spa and so on, an Indy 500 that will be out next year when the new season starts with Ovals and probably NASCAR DLC with Aussie V8 and classic NASCARs with American tracks. There might be an Asian one too as they want to get Asian tracks like Fuji, Zhuhai, Sepang and so on.

Isnt pCARS and AC also extremely greedy? Not to mention, pCARS has planned 1-2 years DLC support while AC wants to do DLCs till 2018! Any of these games have more DLCs than all the CM games combined. All the sudden CM seemed like a saint now, compared to those 2 money milking "scum".

How naive for you to expect games these days with no DLC, especially the market wants it. I'll pay for a laser scan extremely detailed Nords DLC in AC or a proper V8 DLC with all the rules in pCARS. I do not mind DLCs as long as they add content to the game where it is literally impossible to have all the content in a game day 1 these days. The Legend Touring Cars DLC in Grid was great and I am looking forward to Drag now.

An Indy 500 that will be out next year when the new season starts with Ovals and probably NASCAR DLC with Aussie V8 and classic NASCARs with American tracks.
Okay I am in pCARS  pocket now. Or rather they will be in my pocket. I love old Monza,  & Spa too. They were great in Shift 2 honestly my favorite tracks in Shift 2.

@Cheesenium‌ 
You see the difference with the DLC-strategy, do you? GAS had a certain amount of DLCs that were known and more or less in the works during release of the game. Some DLCs are a joke, like the additional garage slots or the xp-booster. You pay for something, that the game limits you to in the first place, so you really get nothing of value for your money. THAT is simply money generating 'content' that cost the devs 10 minutes of work.

Generally I have no problem with DLCs in racing games. Creating high quality tracks and cars costs time and therefore money.  Both AC and pCars are kickstarter games (well AC kind of...) and have to do what they can with the money they have. If they can add additional content in the future that wasn't possible during the first period, great!

The problem with CMs DLCs is that there was hardly any 'new' content. Many cars were recycled from GRID2 or even just switched discipline within the game. I believe the the Touring Legends DLCs was the only one with proper new content.

Now to the integration of the DLCs... in GAS you get new cars that can't be used in the offline championships. The new disciplines offer additional events in a separated menu with no rewards at all after finishing them. Then there's the TimeTrial mode where the Touring Legends, for example, isn't integrated at all. For TL you don't get the same track limits as in any other series, so you can cut most corners harder. It was the same in GRID1, where you weren't able to use the new cars in the offline carreer.
So in GAS you always know what is DLC, as it is integrated differently in the game than original content and THAT I don't like. It all should be seemless. I want to forget that I downloaded new stuff but that's hardly possible.

Then to Assetto Corsa... you'll pay for higher quality in the future, nothing more. The game has official and extensive mod support, so you'll get virtually every track and car you want without paying a single cent.
AC has a different philosophy behind it than GAS. It's more or less a great basic structure with a little content for the community to add content.
GAS is a game that want's to offer the whole content but fails to integrate all the DLC in a decent way.

Now, in GAS we got additional cars, but I don't really know what to do with them. GAS has an easy to learn, hard to master philosophy, but I don't get the 'sensation' of driving a certain car. Sure, they all behave a little differently in terms of cornering, grip, stability, but on no car there's a "holy cow, I want to drive this car for 10 years in a row"-moment, that some other games were able to deliver. They are just tools to get round the track in the fastest manner, nothing more. I set up every car the same, as I know it brings me more stability and doesn't affect cornering or speed in a negative way. So with that in mind I wasn't excited about any DLC car. They handle similar to the others, they sound like nothig special, cockpits aren't present. Why would I want to drive them?

I know I had this sensation of driving certain cars in Shift2, be it for the sound or a tricky way to handle the car. I had different fun in different cars by just driving alone and mastering car and track. From what I've seen AC is similar to pCars, so I have reason to belive that I'll get the same in pCars and AC aswell. If they give me a new DLC car I know it'll be well done and a different challenge/excitement to drive.

That's the big difference I see in CM-DLCs and future pCars/AC-DLCs.

Only one game can kill GAS, and it will be GAS 2. 
GAS on PC is so great game with its many lobbies, working Legends DLC, coming virtual mirrors and 60fps smoothness :)

GAS on PC is so great game with its many lobbies, working Legends DLC, coming virtual mirrors and 60fps smoothness :)
Even on the PC, you can corner cut everywhere in a Legends car. 
Coming virtual mirrors..................they should have been there from day 1.

60FPS  LMAO - Every platform GAS is on, is running in 60FPS smoothness. 

GAS 2 - I dont think they will bother.  They still haven't finished Grid 2 or Autosport yet. 

Even on the PC, you can corner cut everywhere in a Legends car. 
Coming virtual mirrors..................they should have been there from day 1.

60FPS  LMAO - Every platform GAS is on, is running in 60FPS smoothness. 

GAS 2 - I dont think they will bother.  They still haven't finished Grid 2 or Autosport yet. 
You can't cut since the last patch on legends, got loads of penalties last night where I would normally cut tight or run wide a bit.

I love how people are comparing next gen software to current gen software. I've been looking forward to PCars for a while, but to directly compare it to Autosport is unfair. We have to at least wait for CM's next gen entry, if and when it happens.

RTAnoskills said:
Somehow, I doubt Ill have to wait for a patch to put mirrors into P-Cars.  
Well, no s***, seeing as how the PS4/XBOne have a bit more processing power than their predecessors. I hope you're not expecting this game to be pixel perfect from day one. There will be bugs, whether they're major or not.

Codemasters are good at getting the performance requirement sweet spot. There's a statistic guru behind them & they sure have to make sure to keep him there. :)

Sure there's some bugs but it's very small compare to other popular games. I tried Project Cars Alpha & I'm not worried one bit.

MrDeap said

Sure there's some bugs but it's very small compare to other popular games. I tried Project Cars Alpha & I'm not worried one bit.

Really? A bug that stops us playing online unless we are willing to reboot the Xbox several times in one session? I've certainly never played or owned any other game like that. It may very well end up being a small bug, as in a small piece of code at fault.
It is however a monumental balls-up in the grand scheme of customer relations.
let me put it another way - 3 and a half months down the line and we still cannot enjoy this to its full potential due to poor testing and poor QC.

Its a a rubbish state of affairs.

An Indy 500 that will be out next year when the new season starts with Ovals and probably NASCAR DLC with Aussie V8 and classic NASCARs with American tracks.
Okay I am in pCARS  pocket now. Or rather they will be in my pocket. I love old Monza,  & Spa too. They were great in Shift 2 honestly my favorite tracks in Shift 2.
I am not sure how I failed to mention but, what really caught attention of the post is the Nascar content. Goid grief I would be M.I.A. from the rest of the world with classic Nascar racing. 60's, 70's 80's or even 90's I would be just the happiest boy in the world! As well if they go with Classic Indycars too.

It would interesting to see someone do something with the Can-Am cars. Those cars were just loud and beautiful at the same time. It seems like a under-utilized period in North American motorsports. Yes maybe on PC there are some games but, not on consoles. 

TUSMBOX said:

RTAnoskills said:
Somehow, I doubt Ill have to wait for a patch to put mirrors into P-Cars.  
Well, no s***, seeing as how the PS4/XBOne have a bit more processing power than their predecessors. I hope you're not expecting this game to be pixel perfect from day one. There will be bugs, whether they're major or not.
PGR3 was an original xbox game.  It had  a rear view mirror on bumper/bonnet cam,  it had mirrors while in In car view.  

PGR4 -  launch title for Xbox 360 - In car view with mirrors, bumper cams with mirror, weather. 

There is no excuse for the lack of mirrors.  Its a car racing game, cars have mirrors.  People expect mirrors in a car game.  

Forza games all have mirrors,  Forza 4 looks better than GAS, and it has mirrors. 

When I buy a finished game, yes I expect it to be pixel perfect, from the moment its been released.  QA - what can I say.  

I buy a TV, I expect it to work when I get it home.  Its the same with a video game, or any other product.  

I dont expect to buy something brand new, and have it not work properly.  

@TUSMBOX  Why do you? 

No, I can't say that I do.

And, TV's can't exactly be placed into the same category, as they have limited functionality compared to a video game. Games have glitches that aren't always detected by testers because it's is, the gamers, that go so much deeper into a game than the testers do. GT5 has had several out of bounds glitches that allowed lap times on certain tracks to be cut down to a mere fraction of the full circuit. GT6 has had an easy 20 million credit glitch that got patched out fairly quickly. Even Destiny needed a patch to get rid of the so called "loot cave."

Games do not hit the shelves bug free like I said.

PGR4 had 1 patch, to fix an audi A4 doing wheelies when you start in 5th gear. 

I agree games do not hit the shelves bug fee,   All im sayin is that I expect them to be bug free.  Definitely game braking bug free.  They have decided afterall its ready for sale. 

Less than 2 weeks into this game, and its save game corruption again. 

That could have been picked up quite easily, with some simple playing of the game. 

Something CM dont seem to be able to do.  

How hard is it for them to turn on an xbox 360 and play the game for an hour.   
They dont need to ask us when its crashing.   Just see for themselves.  

I agree games do not hit the shelves bug fee,   All im sayin is that I expect them to be bug free.  Definitely game braking bug free.  They have decided afterall its ready for sale. 

That could have been picked up quite easily, with some simple playing of the game. 

not necessarily they may not have run into the problem into it on their machines I never ran into the save corruption issue on Grid 2 or Autosport. I may have been lucky at the end of the day but it does show that sometimes things work and sometimes they don't that's life

The online freeze issue is affecting everyone on the 360. I found it within 2 minutes of receiving the patch, as did many others!
According to CM though some people may not have received the patch yet due to world time differences, which may be causing the issue.
I had a freeze today, four days after release, so I'm assuming I was in a lobby with players from Saturn or Pluto.

Alright, I can agree with this. Something that big found within two weeks that many people experienced should've been spotted and fixed before release.

kimdurose said:
The online freeze issue is affecting everyone on the 360. I found it within 2 minutes of receiving the patch, as did many others!
According to CM though some people may not have received the patch yet due to world time differences, which may be causing the issue.
I had a freeze today, four days after release, so I'm assuming I was in a lobby with players from Saturn or Pluto.
This is just ridiculous. How can they let different versions communicate with each other?! They have their own servers, don't they? So why not version check and deny players with an outdated game?
I absolutely HATE when Devs do that! Reminds me of NfS6 (the one after Porsche) back in the days. That game checked for versions and denied different ones to play together, BUT it didn't force anyone to upgrade to the latest patch. Great! I needed the 1.1 which pretty much only fixed an issue with my wheel, so 99% of all other players ran with 1.0 and online was instantly dead for me, as I couldn't enter any game.
But not checking at all, just letting it happen? That's like unprotected sex with a total stranger... what could possibly go wrong?!

Photonik said:
But not checking at all, just letting it happen? That's like unprotected sex with a total stranger... what could possibly go wrong?!

Oh gawd no! You mean I'm going to have to go on the penicillin as well as clearing my cache?!!!