Sign in to follow this  

Grid/Codemaster's killer

what makes you think PS4/XboxOne games are real threat to GRID, at least on consoles? Not everybody is migrating to next gen as yet.

what makes you think PS4/XboxOne games are real threat to GRID, at least on consoles? Not everybody is migrating to next gen as yet.
agreed plus isn't project cars meant to be a full on sim? last I read it was anyway. CM's games have always been designed to be simcade that can be picked up and played by all not full on sims there is a difference there. Not every one is happy playing with full on sim handling I'm sometimes not. However this game does look good but I'd rather judge it on it's own merits rather than as a threat and competitor to what CM are trying to do because every game is different in it's own way. Some people may prefer the easy pick up and play nature of CM's games therefore giving CM the advantage there we just don't know as I said every game is different and must be treated as such in my view.

Hope pcars delivers !
Don't worry it does! I have been a part of the early community. I don't really see how you compare the two though. Two different games. Pcars is a sim as to grid as is more arcade. I like them both for different reasons.

There is something out there that is going to kill codemasters off, and kill them off soon, within 2 years at a rough estimate.

But it's not Pcars. Or Assetto Corsa, or The Crew, or Driveclub.

No.......

The company that will kill of Codemasters..........Is Codemasters.

I don't want Codies to go under, but maybe for alternative reasoning: GRID A/S has proven that these people have no idea what they're doing. That Southam studio is just jam packed with incompetence and people that are just outright bad at their chosen career. But it's cool.....Because we know who they are and what they are releasing.

What happens if Codies dies? All these useless programmers and clueless devs will be spread out in to the gaming world. They'll obviously want new jobs, and they'll all spread and dilute the studios that manage to make an at least playable game. It'll be like a cancer to gaming, a disease released from a vial and spread across the gaming studios.

At least with Codies releasing games regularly, no matter how bad, we are safe in the knowledge that the people that work there are all in one place and we don't have to buy their games. If they get let go...Well then it's a crapshoot on where they end up, and I'd rather these people aren't involved in anything worth buying (Although if it's worth buying no one from CM has been within 100 miles of it anyway)
Imagine one of them going to Slightly Mad or Reiza or Polyphony, God it would be a massacre of gaming.

The only people worth their salt in that whole company are the community managers. They won't need a C.V to get a new job. Just send a prospective employer a link to the CM forum and they'll see how they have to manage hundreds of customers that their employer has made angry. I'd employ any of them just off that alone.

Im sick of buying 360 games,  that could be down right awesome, but they are not, as they have been made in a rushed, half arsed way.  

Project cars,  Hopefully will have the correct recipe.   Its got 80,000 people in the community with early access, all helping to test the game, and provide feedback as to what should be in the game.  They are making the game, the gamers want, instead of making a game that they THINK the gamers want.  

It has NO FLASHBACKS online......

It looks AWESOME,  they just need to get the handling good, and its gonna be a winner.  
As long as it feels ok in the shop, ill be buying the console and the game. 

How soon will the consoles be getting the fix to this freezing?  

@Loore posted on Steam: 
We’re busy putting the final touches together for the latest GRID Autosport patch for PC, which we're expecting to go live later this week. Changes include support for the upcoming Drag Racing DLC pack, along with fixes around vehicle upgrades and improvements made to the official playlists. 

Alongside this we’re pleased to announce that we are adding Oculus Rift support to GRID Autosport. 

• Oculus Rift - Added code support to enable Oculus Rift compatibility, coupled with minor optimisations for the virtual reality experience. For more details please seethis[blog.codemasters.com] 
  • Drag mode addition - Additional code for the new "Drag" race mode. 
  • Community Requested Fix - Repair costs of high mileage vehicles get progressively too high, this has been resolved. 
  • Community Requested Fix - Increased variety of tracks found within playlist events. 
  • Online Fix - To improve the online experience, player impact ratings are now enabled by default. 
  • Community Requested Fix - Vehicle upgrades were fully functional even when vehicle tuning is disabled, this has been resolved. 
  • DLC Support - Various fixes to ensure full compatibility of the Drag DLC, which contain new tracks, cars and game modes. 
  • Online Fix - Resolved sporadic instances of network games loading into the race with just your team mate, despite having more players in the lobby. 
  • Stability Improvement - Improved stability of the game under certain strained scenarios within the track select screen. 
  • Stability Improvement - Improved stability for multi event sessions when using the checkpoint game mode. 
  • Community Gift – We will be rewarding all players with 500,000 in-game cash when the patch is applied. This is a small thank you to all who have supported the GRID series and the active community who have given us their constructive feedback.

I guess it wont be anytime soon, 

They'll manage to pump out another DLC before they address the issue......Just like they pumped out a load of DLC before they fixed the Corrupt Save Bug.

No Shame man.........No Shame.

There's only one thing that shouldn't matter in a 'cross-gen' comparison.... And that's graphics. And exactly that's what really doesn't matter to me. The game mechanics are the same as 15 years ago, it only got more complex. At least in some games. GAS unfortunately was one of the games that didn't evolve. Most game modes are only half done, not present, buggy. Features don't work or work horribly complicated and that represents the whole game for me. 

What's broken in GAS is nothing new. It's stuff that has been there for a long time in many racing games (even by CM themselves), so old/current gen isn't really an argument. 

Does pcars have mod support? Don't know but I think so. At least assetto Corsa does, so after some time we'll have virtually every track on the world present in that game. A game that has great handling, monstrous sounds, a practice mode(!!!) and all that without dlcs and stuff. 

GAS is easy to get into, but that's pretty much it, considering pros against other racing games. 

As I have no wheel and no raceseat at the moment, I still don't care about both these games, as it isn't that much fun with a controller. But some time around November I guess that's goodbye to GAS. 

and for the next game they'll have to do a dann good job to compete with these two. If they have such a small budget and team I see no real future, if it'll be a mess like this again. 

I don't think it's fair to compare Grid to P-Cars, as it's current gen. When (or if) Grid gets a current gen release, then the battle can begin.
I wasnt really comparing the two games.  More making a statement, about how I'm sick of this CM crap, and If P-cars is as good as it looks, and sounds,  then CM are dead to me.  

They screw up big time, with Grid 2.....ok them made a mistake.  I can forgive.   But then we have Autosport, the game that promises to be the grid game we expected as Grid 2.

Only it still has the same issues Grid 2 has, save game corruption,  XP level in custom lobbies,  DLC is pointless, unless you can find people who own it all.  

The DLC was bullcrap in Grid 2,  and @Loore clearly stated to me, and the rest of the forum, that DLC would work in Autosport.  

Im sick of being raped by CM.  I like the game, but I dont think they like it as much as we (the players) like it. 

Then there is this issue where CM couldn't care less about the console users.  
Xbox users cant race without the stupid game freezeing the console.  

Its ok though, as CM are currently working on 3D for the PC game.  
Who wants 3D?????  Such a FAD.  

They have an entire platform thats broken, and they are busy adding BS into the PC version.  
They cant even be bothered to get on the xbox, and see the problem for themselves,  instead they come up with some bollocks, about it takes time for the patch to get around the world.  Bollocks @Loore.....BOLLOCKS!

How long does it take an Email to get across the world?  

CodeNoobies!!!

DONT MAKE ANOTHER GAME AGAIN.   ALL OF YOU, STOP WORKING IN THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY - YOU FAILED. 

Saturday. Midday.
One custom lobby available. Street racing around Chicago in Veyrons. No ta.
I switched it off.
Almost fun while it lasted.
My ten year old son just asked a pertinent question - "why play this when we have Forza?" A question he also asked me on June 25th. 

This game had so much potential to be THE HOLY GRAIL of racers on the 360.
It's s turned out to be the Holy Shroud of Turin of 360 racers. Massive shame.

The Xbox experience in particular sounds pretty horrible, but I can only speak for the PC version of GAS - and that remains a very playable, enjoyable game with few problems.

That's because it would appear to us mere consumers that all of the development and patch fixing goes in to this platform. I'm happy the PC version is great, that's brilliant. Maybe I should invest a grand in a new PC setup so I can join in the fun, buy GAS for PC (they'd love that), and come here to congratulate the authors on their code mastery. Or maybe not.
We, on the 360, are left feeling somewhat peeved, still without a playable online experience, at least £40 shy, and in a very very pissed off frame of mind.

I don't know why but, I get this strange feeling about PCars not releasing at the current release date for XBOX 1 & PS4. I think this line of thinking comes from PCars was supposed to release last year around this time on 360 & PS3. Then that got scrapped. And I guess that is what makes me skeptical. 

Also I am concerned about all of the focus is on the PC version of the game. And then the consoles will be the red-headed stepchildren of this game. (Sound familar).

I really hope I am wrong on both of these concerns. Because I am hoping to be able to get a Xbox 1, HDTV, & PCars. But I will be keeping a close eye on the state of PCars on Xbox before getting the game. 

(That's right I need an HDTV before I get the Xbox 1. Because my 360 is in my basement on a TV that I do not have to share with anybody else. I just have not had to get another TV. Because as much I as I would want a new hdtv my wife/warden would not be happy with me. Hopefully anyday now my finances will improve greatly and be able to afford this new equipment.) 

I too really do not think CM is going away. I am hoping once they are able to get over on the next-gens the limitations that are holding them back with the current gen systems will be a thing of the past for hopefully another 10 or so years. 

TheHemps said:
There is something out there that is going to kill codemasters off, and kill them off soon, within 2 years at a rough estimate.

No.......

I don't want Codies to go under, but maybe for alternative reasoning: GRID A/S has proven that these people have no idea what they're doing. That Southam studio is just jam packed with incompetence and people that are just outright bad at their chosen career. But it's cool.....Because we know who they are and what they are releasing.

What happens if Codies dies? All these useless programmers and clueless devs will be spread out in to the gaming world. They'll obviously want new jobs, and they'll all spread and dilute the studios that manage to make an at least playable game. It'll be like a cancer to gaming, a disease released from a vial and spread across the gaming studios.

At least with Codies releasing games regularly, no matter how bad, we are safe in the knowledge that the people that work there are all in one place and we don't have to buy their games. If they get let go...Well then it's a crapshoot on where they end up, and I'd rather these people aren't involved in anything worth buying (Although if it's worth buying no one from CM has been within 100 miles of it anyway)
Imagine one of them going to Slightly Mad or Reiza or Polyphony, God it would be a massacre of gaming.

The only people worth their salt in that whole company are the community managers. They won't need a C.V to get a new job. Just send a prospective employer a link to the CM forum and they'll see how they have to manage hundreds of customers that their employer has made angry. I'd employ any of them just off that alone.
How can you be such an asshole? The games aren't bad because of the devs, they're bad because of the company. Grid AS is free of massive glitches, so it's been well programmed. The thing is, the company wants MOAR money, so these games are full of DLCs. Nothing to do with the devs.

Ok...but... how many guys will kill this?

http://www.abload.de/img/pcars2012-04-1918-51-pwj60.png

That is actually a very old screenshot. The actual game does not look like this now where all these rather confusing slider actually have helpful description to explain what are they. It will be a paradise for someone to likes to tune a car's camber or gear ratios as it is very very detailed.

I have access to the game where they did vastly improved the gamepad controls where you can actually play with a gamepad decently now. There are backers who owns a wheel but tries to match their times from racing with a wheel to gamepad with no assists. They managed to get fairly close, provided that if you are willing to train for it. Each car will be very different where just because you can drive a Mclaren F1, it might not mean you can drive a Ford Sierra or a Sauber C9 where both cars are known to be fairly difficult to drive in real life. I know Ford Sierra has a massive turbo lag while due to the large turbo under the hood, the car is also a bit unstable to control. I played with gamepad a lot of times which i find it very enjoyable to play with but unlike a lot of racing games, you do need to train to handle cars from different categories. The AI is solid too, where you have the options to control it's aggression, speed and so on to suit your needs while they drive pretty damn clean where you dont get AI ramming you all the time.

Content wise, it will be very Euro centric, unfortunately as pCARS could not secure many American and Asian manufacturer. The game will launch with 60 to 70 cars with about 30 unique track locations that includes about 80 layout. The game hasnt gone gold yet so not everything is final now. They will bring a lot of American content in future DLCs as they could not do it justice now, as they did have full license for Indy 2015. And also official license, WEC from FIA for those Le Mans fans where Le Mans Circuit will be in the game at launch.

For those who wants pits, you'll get it in spades as you have pits in pcars with full refueling, repairs to tire change. If I am not wrong, you can set a pre race pit strategy too. There will be flags system like a real race too. Also, full day night cycle with rain effects that will affect your tire grip and visibility. The only thing missing is, I think they could not implement safety car on time.

For those who wants cockpit views, you'll get in spades as all the cars in pcars will have cockpit views. Each car takes about 2-4 months to make so they are extremely detailed.

The PS4 version will be in 1080p with 60fps. Xbox One will be 900p at the moment with 60 fps. I think the console build does get a lot of work into it but unfortunately, we do not get access to console builds. The console builds will be pretty damn good considering a lot of current gen racing games are 1080p and 30fps. pCARS will try to achieve the 60 fps fluidity with as high resolution as it can be.

Even I am proud of pCARS so far, I doubt pCARS will kill CM. It is just fairly different game from Grid or F1. It is more simulation focused with assits options for players, think something like GTR2 that you can even play it with a keyboard. pCARS is meant to be extremely accessible while offer enough depth for those who wants a racing simulation game. It is not meant to be a game that is only meant for the elite who only play a racing game with a wheel. I still think a portion of CM fans will not jump over as pCARS might seemed a bit too intimidating to them.

If you like Grid, you might like pCARS, provided you want a more authentic racing game.

Assetto Corsa is actually decent but it lacks of a lot of crucial features such as pits, day-night cycle and weather effects. The driving is pretty damn fun though while the FFB is amazing. I think this also another racing game with a lot of potential. There are rumors that AC will be ported to PS4 in the future. It defintiely wont be a PC exclusive forever. For those who hates DLC, avoid AC as DLC support will be up until 2018.

Definitely a great time to be a PC racer or even a racer.

I don't know why but, I get this strange feeling about PCars not releasing at the current release date for XBOX 1 & PS4. I think this line of thinking comes from PCars was supposed to release last year around this time on 360 & PS3. Then that got scrapped. And I guess that is what makes me skeptical.
pCARS's Xbox and PS4 build is already submitted for certification. It is definitely coming for current gen consoles.

The reason they scrapped the 360 and PS3 build is because they had to cut a lot of graphical effects for previous gen console while will not maintain the high 60 fps. They did let the backers vote for it, and most of us said might as well do it for PS4 and Xbox One since the work hasnt done much by then.

kimdurose said:
What things holding them back?
Quality Control or Testing?
Might be QC or they just want more content.

If the game was released last year, we wont be getting any Audi or Aston Martin Racing in the game now. Also a few other cars like Ruf CTR3, Mclaren P1 and so on.

The PC version is largely playable now with some minor bugs here and there. The console version is now in certification.

They do not have a publisher so no one is forcing them to launch it last year.

Oscar97 said:
TheHemps said:

No.......

How can you be such an asshole? The games aren't bad because of the devs, they're bad because of the company. Grid AS is free of massive glitches, so it's been well programmed. The thing is, the company wants MOAR money, so these games are full of DLCs. Nothing to do with the devs.
It wasn't free of massive glitches when it was released (ie Corrupt game save issue) and it isn't free of massive glitches now (ie xbox freezing issue which means we're lucky to get an hour of online play before our consoles freeze - this has been happening since the last patch was applied).  How are these two gamebreaking issues not the responsibility of the devs?

Also I am concerned about all of the focus is on the PC version of the game. And then the consoles will be the red-headed stepchildren of this game. (Sound familar). 
I really hope so! All the past years it was the PC that had to suffer under the vastly outdated and limited consoles. FPS-limitations, poor graphics, generally poor performance ports of the games, especially Codemasters stupid keyboard/controller-only menus. Countless games that were more or less ruined for PC by consoles. So better the other way around. The limited platforms should get limited features/games. In the end that's what consumers pay for on them. :D 
Oscar97 said:
Are you serious? Sure, the team is small and they might not have that much money to spend, but apart from the fact that the game IS suffering from bugs that ruined the game (broken savegame - you don't call that massive? - non-selling cars, ridiculous repair costs, car upgrades not working etc.). And that are just the bugs that now might have been fixed (on some platforms).
The there's the poor gamedesign choices that have nothing to do with the company behind:
Stupid and complicated livery system
Stupid and complicated club/friend system
no text chat
no kicking/muting during a session, only at start
challenges with ridiculously slow AI that only blocks you
no useful restart of an event, ALWAYS back to the menu and reload the track. STUPID!!!
ghosts/best times in TimeTrial that don't work properly AND cannot be turned off if not wanted
no real practice mode
no favorite setup for custom lobbies
still no useful rear view mirror (and never for consoles) though there are actually working (blurred) mirrors in the generic cockpits!

I could go on and on and on about things they did that make no sense. Like an alpha state of some game that still needs to work out how to work best and in the interest of the player. Sure, it is playable and it might give you some fun online and offline, but whenever you get reminded of these little things that should be there to ease your way you (or bette I) get furious. These are all decisions that go down to the devs, not the company. They don't care about AIs, ghosts, liveries, mirrors etc.