Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Light rain conditions on track, but AI sets lap times that are as fast, as on dry track

F1 2017/Career Mode/Season 2/Renault/50% Race/Full Qualy/100 AI difficulty
Today I recognized another bug. I went into qualifying in Italy and in Q1 we had light rain for the whole session, but it was still possible to drive on dry tires (nevertheless you should be slower now than on dry track, because track was a little wet already). So I decided to do my first run directly at the start of the session, and I managed to drive a 1:30. My team mate who has been on track with me as well, also set a 1:30. I thought, yes, that was a acceptable lap time, let's drive into the pits. When I arrived there and checked the time, I couldn't believe what I saw, Bottas and all the other drivers where able to drive times like 1:22 - 1:23 (times they set in dry conditions in practise 3). Than my team mate went out for another run and was also able to drive a 1:23. Notice: Track conditions haven't improved, so I thought let's go for a second run, but that run was as slow as the first one, I could only drive a 1:30 again, what placed me 4 seconds behind Vandoorne who was in P19. So I have no explaination why the AI was able to drive 7 seconds faster than me, in same conditions? This must be a game bug, you need to fix!

I think I've seen another topic with other people saying they've experienced it, but I personally haven't. I am still on season 1 but have restarted career several times and experienced mixed conditions in practice + qualy. 

@ringelf1

This "bug" has been in the game since F1 2010 came out, the only thing that changed over the years was the frequency of being a victim of this particular "bug" as the amount of times experiencing it got more and or less after each successive title was released.

It seems as if this "bug" does occur rarely in F1 2017 and is not a "huge burden" as it was back in F1 2011 / F1 2012, but still this is unacceptable.

Also regardless of frequency this "bug" should have been dealt with ages ago, yet here we are discussing the same ol' bug that has been witnessed in every F1 title Codemasters ever released (except F1 09).

Codies dun' fuxxed it up!

You can say that the game is partial to the AI cars. Have You ever been in an AI car (As in when watching a replay of the race, get into any AI car instead of Your car)? Every AI car, regardless of it being a top team or a midfielder, has such a smooth entry & exit when negotiating a turn. Even though it looks as if the AI will have a slower exit, they've got the best traction/grip to exit the corner so precisely on the line.

AI's are fantastic in the rain as well. I usually beat them in the race but in qualy, I can manage to qualify in 6th or 7th with the top 3 teams only qualifying ahead of me.

This isn't such a big bug when compared to the VSC / Safety car bug. That annoys me to no end.

When the game auto gens laps I think it only takes into account whether the track is dry or wet. If it's in between it considers the track dry and your qualifying runs are basically screwed. Best thing to do if you're on a transitioning track is to be running on track for as much of the time as possible.

I have had this since it was new as well. Instead of fixing, they tell you instead of opening the menu to choose return to garage, you have to manually drive back otherwise it will simulate a fast time on whatever compound the AI are running, regardless of track conditions.
So we have to spend the extra time manually driving out and in to bypass a bug that should have been fixed already

I got screwed in Q2 at Spa yesterday with this bug.

Raining heavily until the final minute, when it switched over to light rain. Miraculously the AI switched over to inters and I get bumped from 1st place to 15th.

This has happened 3 times over 4 seasons and it’s incredibly frustrating.

Raining heavily until the final minute, when it switched over to light rain. Miraculously the AI switched over to inters and I get bumped from 1st place to 15th.

You should've gone out on Inters as well. Usually, the race engineer lets You know if the weather is getting good enough for trying softer compounds. I just go for the 1 shot qualy where the drivers all use the same compound. Under 1 lap qualy, the weather remains constant.

I think they should just build the game correctly rather than simulating times. Make it so that when the player speeds up time, jumps back to garage, skips the rest of the session, the AI are actually still doing their laps in the background at super speed until throwing the player is back in garage, on track or the session is finished.

That way you'll get correct times and of course the AI could crash out or be on the wrong tyre. Even if I get a screen that says "It's running in the background" while loading when skipping the rest of the session, I'm happy with that 20-30sec extra wait for some realism.

Uday9479 said:

You should've gone out on Inters as well. Usually, the race engineer lets You know if the weather is getting good enough for trying softer compounds. I just go for the 1 shot qualy where the drivers all use the same compound. Under 1 lap qualy, the weather remains constant.

Half the field had finished their Q2 session, and then with 30 seconds they ALL had time to go out and get a faster time. 

I even counted down the end of the session and the times are completely different by the time the final session times come up.

This is a known bug, next to the AI pitting so many times and not changing to Intermediates or wets. Has been a lot of discussion about this so there must be topics about it.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/46213/ai-not-changing-tyres-in-wet-conditions
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/57077/ai-setting-dry-times-in-damp-conditions
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/56770/ai-posting-dry-times-in-the-wet
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/58796/yet-another-example-of-ai-dry-times-in-light-rain

And there are several more, so please, before posting search the forum and add your comments to an existing topic. And as you can see, Lilbrown is right; posting go back a long time. Please fix this one Codemasters.

This is not a bug as far as Codie’s is concerned. It simply works such that if the player isn’t on track while the AI car is completing the lap, then it simulates based solely on tire compound, not track conditions. I know this because once I was doing a final minute flyer with a McLaren in front of and behind me, and the car in front set a reasonable time, but the car behind was like 3 seconds faster, despite not having closed that gap.since the session ended as soon as I crossed the line, the latter car got a simulated time, while the ones in front didn’t.

It doesn't quite make sense what you are stating here, or I do not understand. Several topics clearly state otherwise and I have never read anywere that CM is not considering this a bug. They haven't comfirmed either but that is common practice.

It's more of a flaw in the coding or a design issue than a bug. The code is working as it should but it doesn't create a realistic outcome

It doesn't quite make sense what you are stating here, or I do not understand. Several topics clearly state otherwise and I have never read anywere that CM is not considering this a bug. They haven't comfirmed either but that is common practice.
Let me rephrase. It works as Codemasters intended it to. From the user experience POV, it absolutely is a bug. But not because of faulty coding, but because  it just isn’t what we as players want out of it. I agree it should be fixed, but I’m not holding my breath becuase the way this works is intentionally done by Codemasters, not accidentally but because of intentionally implemented poor logic. The game works exactly as they intended.

pijin said:
It works as Codemasters intended it to.
Have they ever confirmed that?
Here's a quote from 2011: "Yes, all the AI cars set proper times in all sessions now." when asked do the AI cars on track actually post times.

How else does a bug this significant stay in a game for years then, despite constant complaining? They are clearly satisfied with its implementation . What they say is irrelevant, especially 7 years ago. What matters is this has been a persistent bug for years, and and despite the visiblity it gets, they don’t seem to want to fix it.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/57018/scripted-generated-ai-lap-times-in-qualifying/p3
They are investigating this problem.... Last comment from CM on this from last year...