Sign in to follow this  

Where can one find detailed information about GAS?

Have been playing GAS for a few months now, online and offline, and there are a number of aspects of the game that remain a mystery to me that I expect would be answered by a comprehensive manual or similar. For example;
1) In multi-player online racing, what is the meaning of the exclamation points in a colored circle (white, yellow or green) next to a racer's name?
2) What is the impact of maintenance or damage percent to performance; i.e. how much performance degradation does a 90% or 80%, etc., level make?

These are a just a couple of a number of outstanding questions, answers for which I'd expect to be available in documentation that I've yet to find.

All of that was discussed before in this forum ;)
Coloured circles: That's your 'impact rating'. Drive clean and make hardly any contact and you'll get white in no time. Hit everything in  your way and you'll degrade down to red. If others hit you, that unfortunately does affect your rating aswell.

Performance/Damage: On own cars none. I drove a car down to 10% once and didn't feel any difference in handling or performance. So it doesn't really matter if you repair a car before any event or only if it degraded 10% or whatever.

Asking for a documentation of unclear features is a funny attempt for CM games. :D 
You won't get any. It's like nature/science... observe and come to conclusions.

Thanks for the quick reply, Photonik, but, more generally, where can I find comprehensive documentation about GAS features and controls? The above questions were just the first two that came to mind, I'm regularly coming across others aspects that are not clear to me.

Photonik, kimdurose...re: documentation - OK, I get the picture.  :\
Coming from a background in software development where we spent a lot of time and effort creating documentation for users, it's a real shame CM does not provide comprehensive documentation. I realize we're talking game software, rather than a serious software tool, still, it seems odd for CM to have spent so much effort developing features, many of which I expect go unused because users aren't aware of them.

I remember with fondness the days when one would buy software like Adobe Illustrator and get a 400 page manual. Even the old Amiga games had humongous manuals at times. Long gone.
You're lucky if you get as much as an epilepsy warning leaflet these days.

CM couldn't be arsed to put a manual in GAS because they expect people to know what those things are since they've played other GRID games before. too bad they forget about new players :(

I miss the good old days of printed manuals too. they don't make them anymore as is too expensive. PDFs or in-game manuals are cheaper

CM couldn't be arsed to put a manual in GAS because they expect people to know what those things are since they've played other GRID games before. too bad they forget about new players :(

I miss the good old days of printed manuals too. they don't make them anymore as is too expensive. PDFs or in-game manuals are cheaper
The real reason is a bit of both, I suspect. Paper manuals certainly do cost money to produce, and add weight to the boxes which can increase the cost of distribution, and CM are on a comparatively tiny budget.

But for better or for worse, people have come to expect to be able to play games without a manual these days too. If they did provide one, only a small percentage of people would ever read it, so their time and money is probably better spent elsewhere. If they only made a PDF version available, I'd wager that even fewer people would bother, as nobody wants to go searching for manuals online, and PDFs are just less convenient to read than a booklet in your hand.

But I agree that this really behoves them to explain some things better in-game.

The real reason is a bit of both, I suspect. Paper manuals certainly do cost money to produce, and add weight to the boxes which can increase the cost of distribution, and CM are on a comparatively tiny budget.

But for better or for worse, people have come to expect to be able to play games without a manual these days too. If they did provide one, only a small percentage of people would ever read it, so their time and money is probably better spent elsewhere. If they only made a PDF version available, I'd wager that even fewer people would bother, as nobody wants to go searching for manuals online, and PDFs are just less convenient to read than a booklet in your hand.

But I agree that this really behoves them to explain some things better in-game.
I always read the manuals of whatever games I buy. I read to check on the controls (even if I know them already) or any particular new feature compared to the previous version of the game.

in RPG games, I read the manual to see about the classes, skills and other things like that. in GRID, I would read to know more about small details of each game mode and especially how Impact Rating affects your reward at the end of races. then again, paper manuals would become obsolete after game updates so an in-game manual would be the best option

I wouldn't want a printed manual, in fact, referring back to my previous comment about my experience in software development, we stopped providing printed manuals and providing pdf's instead because customers didn't want printed manuals.
A pdf manual would be fine or, for that matter, an online manual or alternate source of information. I understand in the case of GAS, however, CM does not make any source of information about the product other than the minimal 'quick start guide' that accompanies the software, leaving much to wonder about. At the risk of repeating myself, it's amazing to me that a software developer would go to the effort of developing features for its product but not tell customers about those features or how to use them.

I always read the manuals of whatever games I buy. I read to check on the controls (even if I know them already) or any particular new feature compared to the previous version of the game.

in RPG games, I read the manual to see about the classes, skills and other things like that. in GRID, I would read to know more about small details of each game mode and especially how Impact Rating affects your reward at the end of races. then again, paper manuals would become obsolete after game updates so an in-game manual would be the best option
same here back in the days when I went shopping with mum I used to read the manuals of the games on the way back home or whlist they were installing on my PC