Sign in to follow this  

An Idea On How To Race Better and Easier

Most people have probably worked this out but I find cornering like this makes it easier to win and pass AI cars.
Approach the corner on a racing line from between mid track and the outside, the AI cars all head to the outside so you avoid trailing behind them.
Take your foot off the gas as you approach the corner, don't be afraid to slow down a little sooner, only brake if necessary, I try not to brake much at all.
Now turn so you hit the apex of the corner, your inside wheels should just touch it or as close to (you don't want a penalty for corner cutting), as they do, hit the gas and accelerate hard out of the corner, you will find you can actually start accelerating a little earlier once you get used to it.
Doing this you will not only slingshot through the corner but often pass the AI cars as they tend to be on the outside drifting and losing ground, if they spin of the track or crash into each other you just leave them in your dust. I see a lot of people roar up to a corner, brake too late, and nearly stop so the don't run off the track, then hit the gas and wonder why they are losing ground. You will find you will soon learn where and when to slow down for the corners and you won't drift off the track, once you get in the lead it's easy to stya there, the other cars have similar speed down the straights so the curves are where you can make up ground.

Hmmm...not so sure of this strategy. It seems to me that you'll end up with a number of the AI cars passing you in the corner entry as a result of their harder braking (I'm assuming here you've qualified at the head of the pack or nearly so). Also, with the corner filled with AI cars, they'll be in the way of your slingshot.

The corner entry part is, however, a strategy I use fairly frequently in multi-player online racing where being late to the first corner is often an advantage, letting the crowd of bumper car racers take each other out while I motor through the mayhem. Doesn't always work, but enough that it's worthwhile to try. By contrast it's frustrating to start mid-pack or further up the field where you're much more likely to be rammed from behind or in the side in the first corner. All of this depends, of course, on the nature of the racers in your session. It's great when they race like real racers, being careful to avoid a collision, even giving ground to do so, unfortunately it's all too common to have those in the race who see collisions as part of their strategy (sorry if I got a bit off topic there).

If it would work like real race where you are in the control of the start it would be great. Those who start ahead of time are given time penalty or forced to slow down at the pit after the first lap.

MotoWPK said:
Hmmm...not so sure of this strategy. It seems to me that you'll end up with a number of the AI cars passing you in the corner entry as a result of their harder braking (I'm assuming here you've qualified at the head of the pack or nearly so). Also, with the corner filled with AI cars, they'll be in the way of your slingshot.
Have some faith and try it, but I am not saying you slow right down, but just enough to be able to hit the apex from around a cars width from the outside line, and accelerate as opposed to people who brake hard at the last second, losing most of their momentum then try and play catch up on the AI cars.

I am playing Grid on the Xbox 360 at the moment and before nearly every race the game is saying to increase my level of difficulty as I am winning my races easily. And before using this strategy I could hardly get on the podium. (And no I am not an expert at racing)

If you ever watched the program Top Gear, I never really understood how to race properly until James May went around a track with Jackie Stewart (world famous F1 champion from way back), Jackie now runs a school for race drivers. He brought James May's lap times down by 20 seconds.

Jackie said make your plans before you approach the corner and don't put the accelerator down until you can leave it there, smoothness is the key.

In other words get down to the speed where you can hit the apex and stomp on the gas without running off the track and you will be cornering smooth and fast.

HypoToad - Appreciate your posting the suggestion, and, if you're going to start quoting Jackie, well, what can I say but of course I'll try it!
This past May I visited the national museum in Edinburgh and was pleasantly surprised to find, prominently displayed near the entrance, Tyrell chassis 003 that JS drove in all but one of that year's F1 championship winning campaign. A great car piloted by an even greater driver.

It's not taking the racing line that's being discussed here, rather speed management through the line.

The suggestion by the OP is what I'd call a 'slow in - fast out' approach in lieu of a 'fast in - fast out' approach. In general, the latter is the most common approach in real racing with more passing taking place on braking than acceleration, requiring a 'fast in' approach, with a 'fast out' still needed to avoid losing the pass to a better drive out of the corner by the competitor. I think the OP's idea is to achieve a better drive out of the corner by using a slower approach leaving more traction for acceleration off the apex, coupled with the AI cars having taken a wide line due to their fast, indeed excessively fast, corner entry.

Not sure about AI cars, but an excessively fast corner entry is very common in multi-player online racing and is one of the most common causes of collisions as they ram you from behind or in the side if they are inside of you.

That's when you start looking at your minimap. I've avoided many collisions by simply judging someone's speed from behind me and delaying my corner entry.

MotoWPK said:
 I think the OP's idea is to achieve a better drive out of the corner by using a slower approach leaving more traction for acceleration off the apex, coupled with the AI cars having taken a wide line due to their fast, indeed excessively fast, corner entry.

Exactly!

And the better you get at it the faster you can enter the corner without running off the track on the exit.

Sometimes you gotta go slow to go fast. There a few things I know about how get out of a corner on the gas that work well in certain cars and that is about all I will say about that.

Sounds like the racing line to me....
When noobs to Grid get over the novelty of first corner meltdown they soon realise this is the only way and proper way to drive. (and safest)

Sometimes you gotta go slow to go fast. There a few things I know about how get out of a corner on the gas that work well in certain cars and that is about all I will say about that.
not only need to slow down but also get off the racing line so the rammers will miss you and go straight into the gravel

Unfortunately staying off the racing line is often not enough to protect you from the rammers (aka 'bumper car drivers'). As they come flying into the corner to fast out of carelessness or intentionally planning on using you as a berm, if you're already in the corner there's nothing you can do. I know, I've often stayed well off the line when others are coming up from behind to provide them room to pass, but to no avail, getting hit in any case.