Is Monaco still unplayable?

14 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

Practice mate! Nothing comes easy in F1, especially Monaco.  Do lap after lap in Time Trials, starting really slow, then buidling up speed as you go.  Practice, Practice, Practice! 

It's true.. This track especially needs a lot of practice time. Needs to be fun though. Just go to TT, put your favorite playlist on and drive around slowly, learning the most efficient lines first before speeding them up. If you are tense you will crash. So just keep lapping slow and smooth until muscle memory starts to make it feel more natural then start speeding up gradually until you find your pace. Some people like myself are never gonna be fast fast round there but at least you should be having fun without worrying about crashing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 11/29/2017 at 8:02 AM, mceci1 said:

This isn't a codemasters issue or bug. Monaco is just a goat of a track, I hate trying to race anything around it, its a dog

Yeah I've always had 2 tracks I struggle at more than any other no matter the game they are Monaco and Suzuka. Generally I just get the best result I can and move onto the next race and don't think too much about it. I have won on both tracks but I don't win often enough to consider them strong tracks as I think I've only ever won at Monaco maybe about 6 times at most and that's in all the races I've done there in all the CM games anyway For me I think it's mainly due to them both be3ing quiet narrow twisty tracks I tend to do better on tracks that are wider with long straights such as the Tilkedromes I think people call them.

• Like 1

I love Monaco, it’s not easy and requires 100% concentration the whole race. There should be more tracks like this.

works great in the game and the AI is certainly not op there. I guess some of you guys just haven’t found the limit which is understandable as it’s by far the hardest track to do so on.

• Disagree 1

On 10/2/2019 at 2:10 AM, FOneFanatic said:

Practice mate! Nothing comes easy in F1, especially Monaco.  Do lap after lap in Time Trials, starting really slow, then buidling up speed as you go.  Practice, Practice, Practice! 

Cheers, this was on last years one though, the AI were "fixed" after a patch, think it was part on pad users and the fact prepatch the AI didn't suffer core tyre heating. After the patch things were all dandy again.

• Agree 1

I said it multiple times already but IMHO places like Monaco, Singapore and Baku are not race tracks. Monster cars like F1 should not be confined in such pathetic narrow streets. These places are proof of FIA's hypocrisy when some other real tracks' beautiful flow gets destroyed by disgusting chicanes because "there is not enough run-off area". Yes, Monaco is a beautiful and glamorous city but it is just not suitable for such wide cars and speed. If the qualifying event is the most exciting part of the weekend then there is something fundamentally wrong. In terms of it being "unplayable": No, it is not unplayable. It is just narrow, bumpy and therefore low-grip af as it is supposed to be. The "track" is well recreated.

2 hours ago, MrGhostO1O said:

I said it multiple times already but IMHO places like Monaco, Singapore and Baku are not race tracks. Monster cars like F1 should not be confined in such pathetic narrow streets. These places are proof of FIA's hypocrisy when some other real tracks' beautiful flow gets destroyed by disgusting chicanes because "there is not enough run-off area". Yes, Monaco is a beautiful and glamorous city but it is just not suitable for such wide cars and speed. If the qualifying event is the most exciting part of the weekend then there is something fundamentally wrong. In terms of it being "unplayable": No, it is not unplayable. It is just narrow, bumpy and therefore low-grip af as it is supposed to be. The "track" is well recreated.

I think I agree with Monaco at least as the cars have seriously overgrown that track!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrGhostO1O said:

I don't think Singapore and Baku are a problem as they're quite wide tracks similar to what I've seen Indycar race on and if IndyCar can handle it so can F1 it's more I think that Monaco is built in such a way in that it's just too narrow for todays cars based on how todays cars perform. I agree with you in terms in that it's been well recreated but I don't think Monaco is really suited to racing any more and if it didn't bring in as much money as it does I suspect It would've been dropped off the calendar by now in favour of a better track.

Edited by sjsharp2010
  • Agree 2

This brilliant movie shows Monaco in its glory days as a great track, when cars seem to be almost consumer like in speed but are still actually fast and dangerous considering how poorly the drivers and onlookers were protected (not at all lol). 

So yes it's a silly restricted track for modern cars and is only still on the calendar for considerable financial and marketing reasons. 

https://youtu.be/sCv-dIFGcd0

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

This brilliant movie shows Monaco in its glory days as a great track, when cars seem to be almost consumer like in speed but are still actually fast and dangerous considering how poorly the drivers and onlookers were protected (not at all lol). 

So yes it's a silly restricted track for modern cars and is only still on the calendar for considerable financial and marketing reasons. 

https://youtu.be/sCv-dIFGcd0

The 1966 Movie "Grand Prix" staring Games Garner brings Monaco to life with actual footage in Monaco and Spa, et al - an EXCELLENT movie! 

Grand Prix (1966)

• Like 2

I have played F1 2010, 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19. I have practised on Monaco just as much as the other tracks. Canada is by far the easiest, I can get pole there without even trying but at Monaco I can't get higher then about 19th without turning down the difficulty. I get destroyed in the races there. I know the track like the back of my hand, I even used to play it on the old GP games on the PC. The AI is obviously overpowered there. 

Edited by 1henryw
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

I have played F1 2010, 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19. I have practised on Monaco just as much as the other tracks. Canada is by far the easiest, I can get pole there without even trying but at Monaco I can't get higher then about 19th without turning down the difficulty. I get destroyed in the races there. I know the track like the back of my hand, I even used to play it on the old GP games on the PC. The AI is obviously overpowered there. 

I think you need to consider the fact you may just not be good at it. I didn’t turn the AI down for Monaco and i actually found it easier than some other tracks (in terms of AI pace at least). It’s obviously hard work keeping the concentration up and staying out the barriers!

I qualified 5th in Mclaren on my normal AI setting when my average qualy position for the season is 9th. The AI could actually do with being a bit faster there!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I have a question for those who I know can post good times round the circuit. Are you using full or sim damage with zero flashbacks? If you are then respect to you! I know the reason I can never really relax and go full speed round there is knowing one mistake and I will DNF. I know I'd be faster if I turned damage off but it wouldn't feel right. I'm not accusing anyone here I genuinely would like to know if you can do fast times and still not worry about wrecking the car any second! 

Edited by sloppysmusic
  • Like 1

Kalamazo0123 I'd be happy to accept that I'm no good at the game. I don't really care, I'm a pretty decent go-karter in real life. I would just like to be able to play at 90 and not have to adjust the difficulty. At Monaco I am so slow it ruins the immersion yet at tracks like Canada and Italy I'm a god on the same difficulty...

I actually practice way more at Monaco than the other tracks yet I'm still really slow. I've seen comments from others in this forum where they have admitted to either deliberately crashing at Monaco or just completely simming it so I know it's not just me. 

I use full (sim) damage, no assists and cockpit view. 100% races, and no flashbacks. Basically as close as i can get to “real”.

Im not saying Monaco is easy, it’s by far the hardest race to maintain concentration and race at a good pace without clipping a wall. But the AI is not OP. They are less challenging to beat here than some other tracks.

17 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I have a question for those who I know can post good times round the circuit. Are you using full or sim damage with zero flashbacks? If you are then respect to you! I know the reason I can never really relax and go full speed round there is knowing one mistake and I will DNF. I know I'd be faster if I turned damage off but it wouldn't feel right. I'm not accusing anyone here I genuinely would like to know if you can do fast times and still not worry about wrecking the car any second! 

In practice sessions I use a lot of flashbacks. That's how I practice tricky corners etc. In quali and race I stop doing it, but if I crash early on I restart the session. I just don't like practicing a lot and then retire in the first corner. Sim damage and cockpit view for me. Qualifying in Monaco is one of the best sessions of the season. The race, especially in heavy rain, is the most physically demanding by a nautical mile. After the race my hands are shaking and I'm sweating like a pig.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, 1henryw said:

Yeah I think the majority of my race wins at Monaco have come in F1 2012  and in the majority of those cases it was a more a lights to flag win with me taking advantage of the fact no one can overtake me due to the narrow track as I started the majority of them on pole I think so I didn't really do any overtaking in those races.

I DID lower the ai once for qualifying to 35 just to see if I could do the full race with damage on and survive from pole if I didn't have to try passing cars, I then turned ai back to the level I normally use on other tracks (around 80). 

I did survive but the whole 90 mins or so was guilt ridden with 19 cars glued to my butt the whole way in a rigid train formation. I pitted after everyone else and my last lap before pitting was so slow I came back out in 5th. Yes, I suck major league at Monaco. Didn't used to in the Crammond games tho!

On 10/3/2019 at 5:22 AM, sjsharp2010 said:

Yeah I've always had 2 tracks I struggle at more than any other no matter the game they are Monaco and Suzuka. Generally I just get the best result I can and move onto the next race and don't think too much about it. I have won on both tracks but I don't win often enough to consider them strong tracks as I think I've only ever won at Monaco maybe about 6 times at most and that's in all the races I've done there in all the CM games anyway For me I think it's mainly due to them both be3ing quiet narrow twisty tracks I tend to do better on tracks that are wider with long straights such as the Tilkedromes I think people call them.

Indeed. Can't say I like either of them. I can accept that Monaco is one of the greatest tracks in terms of prestige and how people think its the bees knees but I hate it. It doesn't encourage good racing

9 hours ago, mceci1 said:

Indeed. Can't say I like either of them. I can accept that Monaco is one of the greatest tracks in terms of prestige and how people think its the bees knees but I hate it. It doesn't encourage good racing

Yeah the only times I've won at Monaco it's mainly when I've been lucky enough to put it on pole and not had to overtake anyone. I'm OK if I'm out on my own but everytime I need to overtake it's pretty much been a no go. If it wasn't so much of a cash cow for F1 it would easily be dropped as there are far better street tracks tbh F1 has 2 of them on it's calendar already in Baku and Singapore. I reall yenjoy Baku in particular as that long start finish straight reminds me a little of those long straights from the old Hockenheim. I am a little better at Suzuka than Monaco though as it's only really that first sector that holds me back as I really struggle through that Esses section. The rest of the track's OK it's just a bit narrow and therefore not easy to nail an overtake if you need it. But like I said I just get the best result I can and move on.

Personally I have to drop down a Skill level (or two) and an Assist level (or two), in order to compete for 1st in a race like my easiest races. However, in time trials I would say it is not my hardest and Japan is harder technically speaking.

But I would say it is unplayable for me without adding more assists, although I also recognise if I had the enthusiasm or concentration to practice three times as hard there I may say something different.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I love racing Monaco. Yes, it's out of sync with all the other 'safety conscious' modern track designs these days, with little space to improve it any further, but it's just too much of a tradition, and too much a part of F1 to be removed (and probably too much of a money maker too). I hope they never do remove it.

(edit - sorry just saw the game of the last post, not sure what made me see this! Still relevant though, I suppose).

Edited by Morsify

Alway hated monaco with a pad apart from randomly in 2012 when I won with williams somehow but every since i have always crashed out but with a wheel this year I managed a Q2 appearance with sauber withouy lowering difficulty and came 15th in the race no flashbacks 100% simulation damage no assists cockpit view.

Felt like a win which I have not managed since F1 2013 😆