Is Monaco still unplayable?

Amid the recent outrage of certain bugs that apply to teammates and other various MP, SC and weather bugs, I was wondering if Codies at least fixed Monaco? I remember the car feeling really heavy and tank-like around that track. Has anything been done yet?

I don't know if they've "fixed Monaco"?

What exactly can they fix?

The tight, cramped, awkward nature of the place can't be changed...that is what makes it so frustrating/challenging (depending on your perspective).

Unless there is something specific about the track, like a glitch , that you are talking about?
  • Agree 1

Maybe turn down AI? I do struggle on Monaco to keep up. No other track I have the issue and no other previous year have I struggled. Hit the apex and keep it smooth but the AI blister through. I can still play it but winning means even in a top car I have to push harder than ever on the edge of total tyre destruction lol!
I did notice in Australia Kimi totally dominated, 5sec ahead on 2nd lap and going the entire race like that.. Got 2nd place but kimi was nowhere to be seen by lap 5.. But not had that before. There are the odd unusual bugs but still playable.
  • Agree 1

I detest Monaco.  Start every time with the best intentions but within ten minutes I'm fed up of it, deliberately plough into the barriers and sail off to Canada.
  • Agree 1

For me, it's mostly the hairpin that's the issue. My car doesn't turn as much as the AI, and I can prove it by viewing the onboard cam on AI cars and comparing to my own. While their wheels turn over 180 degrees, mine only turns about 150.

@peyt0n89

I'm inclined to agree. I've tried remedying it by upping the saturation but that makes the controller far too sensitive. I've also played with linearity combined with saturation but I just can't find anything that feels natural.

Senna755 said:
I detest Monaco.  Start every time with the best intentions but within ten minutes I'm fed up of it, deliberately plough into the barriers and sail off to Canada.
yeah but then I've never really liked Monaco much either anyway. I generally just drive it take whatever I can from it and just move onto Canada. It's kind of my write off race really in that I just write it off and move on.

peyt0n89 said:
For me, it's mostly the hairpin that's the issue. My car doesn't turn as much as the AI, and I can prove it by viewing the onboard cam on AI cars and comparing to my own. While their wheels turn over 180 degrees, mine only turns about 150.
I actually find the Monaco hairpin slightly easier than my two personal pet peeves...namely the penultimate corner in China and the hairpin before the back straight in Canada.

If I don't get the entry speed absolutely perfect the understeer becomes impossible to counter and I can't make the turn in, and instead will go straight on or run out of room on the exit kerb. 

I tried playing with my controller settings first, then the car settings when that failed.

I played with the toe and camber, ballast/weight distribution, front wing, tyre pressure...all to try to and get the car to move about more at very low speed.

Eventually, after many rewinds and later time trial runs, I found a reasonable balance.

But I still need to be pretty precise as any late braking and then a bad mistake at turn in makes the car feel like a heavy goods lorry. 

Senna755 said:
yeah but then I've never really liked Monaco much either anyway. I generally just drive it take whatever I can from it and just move onto Canada. It's kind of my write off race really in that I just write it off and move on.
In F1 2017 though, it's handy for stocking up on extra engines that you know you're probably going to need later in the season.

Senna755 said:
Senna755 said:
In F1 2017 though, it's handy for stocking up on extra engines that you know you're probably going to need later in the season.
 Exactly. Always get my fifth set of engine components at Monaco :)

Senna755 said:
Same for me. Honestly I gave up on this track, it requires too much risk than other tracks, the AI is to much harder, no matter it's challenging or not, simply this race is another story.
  • Disagree 1

fstarred said:
Senna755 said:
Same for me. Honestly I gave up on this track, it requires too much risk than other tracks, the AI is to much harder, no matter it's challenging or not, simply this race is another story.
Agreed with Senna755 and fstarred. I basically reduce to 5 laps race for my career mode and remember to set back to full/100% race distance for Canada. Just cannot race properly in Monaco and with the gearbox at its 6th race, it is almost impossible.

This isn't a codemasters issue or bug. Monaco is just a goat of a track, I hate trying to race anything around it, its a dog

No problems at Monaco, don’t start hating but this have to do with you guys;) its just one of the hardest tracks on the calendar. Practice or dnf;)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I dont agree with you @ChironTheseus first ai are not fast in monaco...seconde u need to work on ur setups on ur driving style to be able to get better...in this game practice is very important...and if ai are strong thats why theyve created the sliders..so i dont really understand all this fuss about monaco!
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

JP072 said:
No problems at Monaco, don’t start hating but this have to do with you guys;) its just one of the hardest tracks on the calendar. Practice or dnf;)

It has nothing to do with practice.

Monaco used to be a personal favourite in earlier games.

I just feel like it doesn't work as well in the current cars, as if something is missing.

Perhaps it is the fact the cars in f1 2010/11/12 felt more agile, had more grip and cornering speed, so that you could get a really nice, smooth , and fast, line through the tighter corners and could stand on the brakes at the latest minute and still make the turn?

It could be my Monaco set up needs work.

But if the default setting, which is what the game considers the most well balanced set up, feels the same, then I don't know that it matters that much?

An easier way to illustrate my point is to go to Monaco and run a time trial, so you can get some laps in to get a groove, using the classic Red Bull or the silver '08 McLaren (driven by Hamilton).

That's how I remember Monaco and why I used to enjoy it.

Going back to the current cars after that highlights the big changes the sport has gone through...and not necessarily for the better. 
  • Disagree 1

Monaco, for me is favourite track. That feeling when ure flying over the kerbs in 3rd sector... unforgettable
  • Agree 1

I dont agree with you @ChironTheseus first ai are not fast in monaco...seconde u need to work on ur setups on ur driving style to be able to get better...in this game practice is very important...and if ai are strong thats why theyve created the sliders..so i dont really understand all this fuss about monaco!
That is my opinion based on my experience with the game, if its just one track and I perform well in all the others I take it as maybe a little more on the side of misbalancing. In no way does it make me right but as others are having problems only on Monaco and no other track in F1 2017 game I am relating to this.
I am no master on setup and use controllers not wheels but I do well for what I do have.

The Swimming pool chicane is epic. If your struggling on this track watch the AI on the monitor for a few laps. Feels great with a wheel. I only use default balanced setup and it's fine, I'm quick enough with AI cranked up 
  • Agree 2

peyt0n89 said:
Clip the inside curb of the hairpin with your left wheels. You'll gain half a second easy and its not cutting a corner or anything exploitable. It helps with pads and their limited steering a lot

Senna755 said:
Senna755 said:
yeah I tend to do that a lot on races where I'm near or at the back in case I feel I need them.

With the great difficulty of this track, it makes me wonder how the real deal drivers manage to acclimatize them selves to this track before the age of computers and simulators.  All they would have is the practice time before the race, because the streets would not be set up  in the circuit form at any other time. 

Anyhoo… This track for me is just a big exercise in frustration. I’m like the earlier fellow who mentioned it... I try it for a while, and then get completely frustrated, and end up just ploughing through it however I can.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:31 AM, ChironTheseus said:

Maybe turn down AI? I do struggle on Monaco to keep up. No other track I have the issue and no other previous year have I struggled. Hit the apex and keep it smooth but the AI blister through. I can still play it but winning means even in a top car I have to push harder than ever on the edge of total tyre destruction lol!
I did notice in Australia Kimi totally dominated, 5sec ahead on 2nd lap and going the entire race like that.. Got 2nd place but kimi was nowhere to be seen by lap 5.. But not had that before. There are the odd unusual bugs but still playable.

Practice mate! Nothing comes easy in F1, especially Monaco.  Do lap after lap in Time Trials, starting really slow, then buidling up speed as you go.  Practice, Practice, Practice! 

• Agree 1

I play 90. At Canada I get pole in my upgraded Redbull by 1 to 1.5 seconds. The rest of the tracks I'm usually in the top 3. At Monaco I qualify last or sometimes 1 position up. In the races at Monaco I get obliterated.

Edited by 1henryw