Sign in to follow this  

Improved Beta Program

I think a lot of people have finally given up on Codemasters and loads know there’s no good. Betas weren’t bad compared to their full release abysmal counterparts. There’s no hope and it’s the last straw

Again, I understand it’s too late for some. But the best way to improve QA, Codies’ biggest weakness, is to have a truly productive beta program. And there’s no reason they shouldn’t push to make things better. 

“It’s too late” is no argument against trying to make a game better. They have the game license for the near future, so saying “it’s too late, don’t bother” just means you won’t be getting an F1 game until the license expires. Until then, we need to push Codemasters in ways to try and improve the game. And, if another studio buys the rights, they will be starting from scratch. So there will still be growing pains, and then we’ll all be like “Codies was so much better”. The best option for the near future is to push Codemasters, give them ideas on how to improve. If they don’t take them, then speak with your wallet. But if you genuinely are interested in seeing improved F1 games, giving up outright is not the solution.

@pijin, the problem isn't lack of QA.  The problem is poor coding that plagues this game. Just look at the McLaren teammate bug, safety car bug and every other issue being reported.  Root cause analysis of any beta, be it closed or open, will always point back to poor coding or programming. Hence the reason why I wrote that they should hire competent people.  Not for QA but competent people to actually make the game. 

coolieboy said:
@pijin, the problem isn't lack of QA.  The problem is poor coding that plagues this game. Just look at the McLaren teammate bug, safety car bug and every other issue being reported.  Root cause analysis of any beta, be it closed or open, will always point back to poor coding or programming. Hence the reason why I wrote that they should hire competent people.  Not for QA but competent people to actually make the game. 
Yes quite right. The evolution of the Ego engine is not cutting it. Fundamental flaws have been within since 2010. Pit stop bugs keep occurring year on year. We had the horrible tyre bug in 11 with another work around. 

Its nothing to do with the beta its failing from the ground up. 

coolieboy said:

I think developers are plenty capable of doing better, but they lack sufficient resources. Why pay workers more and/or why pay for more workers when consumers continue buying whatever the under-funded staff produces?

Video gaming is a multi-billion-dollar-a-year industry, but layoffs & closures are happening, studios are getting acquired, workloads are increasing, salaries are stagnating or dropping, innovation has stalled (same old recycled ideas), and functional quality is getting worse (more games are needing months upon months of post-launch patching yet are still loaded with bugs/glitches/issues after support ends).

Profits go to the top & to shareholders, not to workers & not to quality. It's never enough to just profit when there's a constant mandate for profit growth. There's no shortage of ideas on how to make better games - the shortage is in the funding to make those ideas happen when executives & shareholders demand bigger & bigger returns, preventing re-investment of profits back into workers, quality, & innovation.

...And our wallets tell executives & shareholders what's profitable.

coolieboy said:
Could not agree more! The proof is in the pudding, bugs that have persisted for the last 3/4 games that still persist now.
I mean, does anyone really believe that the safety car will be a working safety car in F1 2018? 
...or that online will be stable? that players leaving the lobby will do just that and leave? (without causing the race to fall apart...literally)

No chance! 

coolieboy said:
Valid point, but you have to consider the fact that none of those bugs were even ID’d till after release.  That points to shoddy QA. There absolutely is some crap coding in some elements of the game, and I agree they need to pay what is necessary to hire some more competent people, but it is impossible to write a perfectly functioning game the first time. You write  baseline, then iterate through QA to get a improved product. Problem is, Codies ship US the baseline, and we have to tell them what to fix. That’s why I think QA is the bigger issue. If we can identify the major gamevreaking bugs during the creation of the game, they have more time to fix it before release. They need more programming strength, but that’s a longer term investment they need to make. Short term, identifying bugs well before release and trying to get them fixed is a more workable solution that they are more likely to take. I don’t think Codemasters are maximized or overstrechted in the resources for this game. They just need to optimize how they use it and do it effectively. Basically go from being Williams to being Force India.