Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 reviews

Beautiful.

Up until now Hood has ignored the faithful community, put his fingers in his ears, justifying it with the awards and positive reviews rolled in from people who look at the game at an extremely casual level. Now that has stopped, and the reviews are seeing the light, maybe we might just see some positive action and change,

Believe me, the fact this franchise is successful says a lot more about the competition (or lack of), than any of the games themselves.

A positive week for F1 game enthusiasts, I see change on the horizon, who knows, might even see a full race weekend in an official F1 title!

I haven't felt the handling yet, but EA (over 10 years ago), put in two different handling models to satisfy the market. Just an idea Steve old boy, your call (worried expression).

You think code masters are worried about these reviews. I think any sales they make will be bonus. They have been focused on the new engine for a long time. This game is just to buy time as next gen wasn't ready for october release

Poor reviews,that's good and bad...Good because maybe Codies listen to us from now.Bad because i want to play this game but it seems a bad game,with no immersion.

Exactly my point. Maybe they have to release a game a year in the contract. 6 months ago realised the next gen is not on time. So do bare minimum to get a game out on current system. As for the price the game is aimed at two different markets. This one is for people with old gen systems that arnt planning on upgrading for a few years. New gen for those who are planning on upgrading soon or already have. Makes business sense. Which is what code masters are. 

This game will put a lot of people off considering buying 2015 if the game continually seems to offer less and less. I reckon 2015 will be more of the same but with better graphics and perhaps 60 frames per second on consoles. PC users will be laughing once again, that's for sure.

But for people who are on ps3 or xbox360 who want a f1 game what other options do you have? Supply and demand. They know most next gen owners might wait. If they buy both that's great. The question is will they make more money charging full price and selling less or selling more but charging less. Because they expect many will wait for next gen they have chosen to charge more to people who have little options. Think like a business not a fan

This game will put a lot of people off considering buying 2015 if the game continually seems to offer less and less. I reckon 2015 will be more of the same but with better graphics and perhaps 60 frames per second on consoles. PC users will be laughing once again, that's for sure.
This may be true which is why CM needs to start listening to the community or at least publicly address us to let us know they're working on it before people get fed up and leave/stop buying their games. I on the other hand will buy the F1 games as long as they're available.

I'm on PS3 & Xbox but I do have an option and a very easy one at that. Keep my money for something else. With the user base they have targeted, it would have been better for them to lower the price and keep people at least happy. As a fan of what F1 or CM? I'm a fan of F1 but not a fan of CM. Just because they make a racing game and call it F1 doesn't mean I have to rush out and buy it. If it represented the sport better, then I'd buy it, but it don't so I won't.

Yeah your right. Unfortunately these decisions are most likely made by people who have no connection to the final product. Its made by someone looking at figures and shareholders profits 6 months ago. 

They probably expected this. Codemasters was contractually obliged to make 2014, so they quickly changed 2013 to 2014 drivers and tracks, minimally messed around with the physics, and released it when they were told. All their real effort is going towards the next-gen 2015 which will be released earlier in the season and will be updated to reflect trends in the real pecking order. They always knew this one was going to be shit, let's face it, Codemasters F1 games have always been shit, but with 2015 they have one last chance to get it right.

I'm going to get the game, but all pretty average scores so far.......................... NOW ARE YOU GOING TO LISTEN TO WHAT WE WANT IN THE NEW-GEN GAME CM AND STEVE HOOD?? 
Fixed.

It is obvious to me that the bean counters are in complete control.  They won't even fix long-standing bugs and other serious game braking issues that were not fixed last year.  It is ridiculous. I won't be buying this game until it is less than $15 in the bargain bin!

BWX said:
It is obvious to me that the bean counters are in complete control.  They won't even fix long-standing bugs and other serious game braking issues that were not fixed last year.  It is ridiculous. I won't be buying this game until it is less than $15 in the bargain bin!
I think Codies create problems when they needn't be. They need to look up the acronym for KISS and just provide a game with a simple but enjoyable driving model. I know games have increased in complexity considerably since Colin McRae and the original TOCA series, but if Codies could provide enjoyable real life based arcade games why can't they do it in 2014? 

andmcq said:
BWX said:
I think Codies create problems when they needn't be. They need to look up the acronym for KISS and just provide a game with a simple but enjoyable driving model. I know games have increased in complexity considerably since Colin McRae and the original TOCA series, but if Codies could provide enjoyable real life based arcade games why can't they do it in 2014? 
Not the same people running the show or coding the games as when Dirt3 was made. Dirt 3, what F1 CM games are based on. Dirt3 is a masterpiece too, comparatively.

Heres my review
DO NOT BUY - CONSOLE KIDS ONLY - HANDLING!!
Seriously, ive moaned in the past, but omg!!! certainly with a 360 pad (i dont have room for a wheel) its so easy, that in 5 laps i was nearly 15s ahead, there is no lack of grip whatsoever!!!
i mean, really, really, really, really bad!!!!
its the worst one so far, it makes all the rest look hard!
I thought maybe they would be forced into a slightly more realistic handling model, but no, they completly ignored the fact these have turbos. My cat could play this with all the asists off, it really is appalingly bad!

never been so disapointed in a game release, floor it around any corner, anywhere, and it will not oversteer ATALL, EVER!! even on the grass, all assists off.

only time i got it to spin is with DRS open, and hint CM, with drs open atm is about where id expect handling to be at to make it more real.

IF you want a hold RT and close your eyes and win game, by all means buy it.
IF you want any form of challenge AT ALL, AVOID IT LIKE YOU WOULD EBOLA.

Terrible, 0/10

The game is quite good, visually better but very similar to 2013. Especially the menu screen which is exactly the same as 2013 but with Yas Marina as the setting rather than a wind tunnel which, let's be honest, makes even less sense than the wind tunnel because it is parked at a weird angle to the track. I'd love to see the old paddock menus from F1 2010/11 back but maybe with a walk around feature to go to sessions, the motorhome and do media conferences in career.

I would also like to see custom characters for cut scenes in career. And custom helmets would be brilliant especially online.

In terms of gameplay, the general handling is ok but it is worse than in F1 2013 but that's probably down to lack of downforce, braking is a big issue, the car often refuses to brake and it just understeers off the track but then sometimes the brakes stop you from 150mph to like 60 mph in 50 metres, its really inconsistent. When you do get the braking almost perfect the car understeers anyway and then on exit it oversteers. Another thing is I like doing 100% race length, even in career, and its hard to find relatively consistent pace because the handling is so poor. Saying that, the handling in wet weather isn't challenging compared to dry conditions unlike F1 2013 where everything was slower. This years game in a Caterham or Marussia, its almost the same just a bit skiddy on turn in into corners and a bit less traction on exit so it is easier to spin. During the later time races (Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Singapore) include the right light settings for each session because P1 of Bahrain and Singapore are both day and p2 both are twilight sessions but not in game.

The fuel saving is really difficult because if you don't realise that standard also decreases fuel target then you will run out, needs to go back to 2011 fuel use in that respect where standard fuel mix didn't change the target lap. It would also be good to choose the 8 gear ratios at the start of season to be stuck with throughout like in F1 and to have usage of all individual parts of the power unit spread across the season with the choice of what parts are used before each race weekend. Also I'd like to see that crashed cars don't disappear after 20 odd seconds after stopping and for the yellow flags to stay out for a few laps with marshals shown recovering crashed cars and debris. And then for really big crashes have safety cars and red flags. (especially in practice and qualifying to make thing interesting). And during practice and qualifying, if damage is on the car or parts need adjusting after set-up changes can there be a time period where the car cannot go onto circuit with the option to skip the time by fast forward session or watch session from garage like f1 2009. This would really improve the realism and excitement of the game. I'd also like to see the return of custom to track weather for GP mode as in F1 2010/11. Also in GP mode, I'd like to see custom grids if race only and team mate challenge/rival challenge if doing multiple races. And maybe include DLC of unused tracks e.g. the 4 classic content tracks from 2013 (Jerez, Estoril, Brands Hatch, Imola) plus Turkey, Hockenheim, Korea, Valencia, India (from previous games) and also Indianapolis, Magny-Cours and Fuji would be good too. And then change the maximum number of races in GP season to 30. Have the option to make all cars have equal relative speeds in GP mode.

The AI are much improved technically and are more intelligent which is good. However, the AI pace varies massively from lap to lap in long races and can fluctuate as much as 3 seconds from one lap to the next in clear air and not being lapped or making mistakes. This is most noticeable when you just drive normally at a decent pace pulling couple of tenths a lap from the car behind and suddenly he's right on your tail and passes you and then shoots off and then a few laps later you've caught up and passed him. Also, they are almost as quick in race as they are in qualifying which is unrealistic. I'm glad to see that they lock up on occasion into corners but other than that AI don't seem to have any problems during races and they don't crash or breakdown as often as in previous games.

Also, I would've liked to have seen more changes to the replay cameras as there are just the same views each time and it gets boring. Some of the camera angles are unrealistic like the shots which follow alongside a straight or on the inside around a long corner or the unrealistic on-board shots where there are no cameras. It really annoys me. And the OSD is almost identical to 2013 which is good but could do with tidying up and updating, id like to see a full live grid display for current positions on the OSD it would also be good to see the control of ERS each lap and be able to change the delivery mode to help save fuel or aid overtaking/defending or just to keep pace this could be done in the quick menu options (left).

I would also like to have the option for a full race weekend (P1,P2, P3, Q and R) for F1 2015 as it is helpful to learn tracks well and perfect set-ups. (and also to stop me getting annoyed because every time I go change tyres in Practice sessions I see the 2 unavailable sets of primes and think "well if there's never a time to use them why are they there?!"). It would be good if P1 had the free set of tyres available to drivers for the first 30 minutes of the session. Also I'd really like to be able to do warm-up laps before races and podiums afterwards like f1 06. Also, before races it would be good to have a full overview of the grid rather than just dodgy angles of pole, you and team mate. Please make multiple reactions to things because you've used the same cut-aways after sessions since 2011. And please bring back media interviews, David Croft's only voice over now is 'welcome to F1 2014', it is a big part of being an f1 driver and the games should reflect that, they should have a large impact on how teams view you as a driver.

Also young driver tests are fun, First team choices should be based on lap times here and difficulty settings can be tested too (but skipping all the tutorial bits would be helpful for experienced racers) and optional 3/4 hour long 2 day pre-season tests in Jerez and Bahrain would be good as well. The pre-season tests could be used to do some R&D tasks for different parts (wings, brakes etc.), which have different traits (e.g. downforce v drag, tyre management, general under/oversteer etc.) and at the end the driver can decide which parts the driver wants to take for the season depending on their driving style. The in-season R&D should only be done by the number 1 driver or both if are of equal status, I don't like doing R&D in the second race of career for Caterham as a number 2 driver and please make it more realistic when new parts arrive, I mean like, no new parts for Spain when most teams usually bring the first large upgrade package but new parts for Monaco? so it would be good to be able to customise when upgrades arrive. And upgrades/set-up changes should actually make a noticeable difference to the handling or performance of the car and some upgrades should affect the car visually, like wings (depending on downforce and drag settings), nose (like the old ugly and nice new Caterham nose) and side pod/rear packaging updates. Or even different shaped/size/detail wings when aero settings are changed because there is no visible change from Monaco to Monza on the wings.

Also an unlimited length career would be good because a lot of drivers don't leave after 5 years. Vettel has only just left red bull after 5 years and Alonso, Button, Raikkonen and Massa have all been in F1 for over 10 years. What would really make the next game of the series the best would be to include GP2 and GP3 series as well so drivers can go from the bottom to the top and gain a place in the young driver test to find an F1 team if done well enough. Then you can be offered a test driver or number 2 driver role in the team. A full driver's market would be good with changes in line-ups every career season. Also from one season to the next, the cars should change relative speeds to their championship position/ R&Ds completed and average grid position.

Also a TV mode with official FOM graphics and David Croft and Martin Brundle commentary would be awesome like Studio Liverpool  had in their F1 games (04-06). Also a race engineer mode would be really fun too, to be able to affect results without the driving (even if this was an option in the TV mode or even as a way to continue after finishing driving career. Sort of like a manager mode after player career in FIFA games). Even if some of these features were DLC that would be fantastic and would improve the game massively.

Finally I'd really like to see more options for a GP weekend (P, Q & R) in 2 player split-screen.

Please include as many of my suggestions as possible, I believe it would make the game more realistic, strategic and enjoyable to play.

Thank you, Luke

The most important issues and suggestions are bold

P.S. please bring F1 2015 out on PS3 and Xbox 360, May 2015 isn't soon enough for everyone who wants next-gen to have it so too soon to stop making games for them.

just noticed that's it is between turns 1 and 2 of Sakhir, Bahrain for the menu screen

I'm on PS3 & Xbox but I do have an option and a very easy one at that. Keep my money for something else. With the user base they have targeted, it would have been better for them to lower the price and keep people at least happy. As a fan of what F1 or CM? I'm a fan of F1 but not a fan of CM. Just because they make a racing game and call it F1 doesn't mean I have to rush out and buy it. If it represented the sport better, then I'd buy it, but it don't so I won't.
Oh special.... (Dinonextdoor voice) we miss you mate

good to see people giving honest reviews for once but im pretty sure the guys at CM wont lose too much sleep over it especially with 2015 coming out on the current gen systems early season with progressive updates throughout the season (about time too!)

I remember during development of 2010, some of the interviews with Hood and Jeal eluding to their "love of F1". Where did that go?

Haha. Last two posts are great.

I wonder, what if a load of us emailed FOM or something like that? If FOM themselves were informed of customers thoughts then maybe they'd do something?