DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AI keep pitting for slicks when its clearly rainning

AI pitting for slicks every lap when its rainning
first i thought it was caused because they have no new inters left(rain in quali and start of the race,so all the drivers who done 2 run in q3 has no new inters left,and the only  driver who got in to q3 and pit for inters is verstappen who saved one set of inters),but then i saw most of the midfield team,even vandoorne (who only set a time in q1 with wet) also doing the same,most of them ended up spin off or go 3,4 laps down,only 3 ai driver has got it right.

No offence but surely this is not an issue with the difficulty. The difficulty shouldn't affect decisions on type of tyres to use particularly when it's wet weather, just the speed and competitiveness of the AI. 

Not sure if it's related but I was playing career mode last night, practice 2, Malaysia.

There was light rain from the start, and I wanted to do the tyre wear test.  It would not let me choose intermediates - said both those and the wets were "unavailable" for all of the tests.

So I ended up going out on softs and, as expected, the car handled like a hovercraft.  My best time was 2:02 and there was no way I would be able to get below two minutes in those conditions, yet the AI cars were still blatting around on slicks, putting in times of 1:37.

This game is so broken it's untrue.  I like playing it, but when you get stuff like this happening.... I just don't know how much longer I can be bothered with it for.

Senna755 said:
Not sure if it's related but I was playing career mode last night, practice 2, Malaysia.

There was light rain from the start, and I wanted to do the tyre wear test.  It would not let me choose intermediates - said both those and the wets were "unavailable" for all of the tests.

So I ended up going out on softs and, as expected, the car handled like a hovercraft.  My best time was 2:02 and there was no way I would be able to get below two minutes in those conditions, yet the AI cars were still blatting around on slicks, putting in times of 1:37.

This game is so broken it's untrue.  I like playing it, but when you get stuff like this happening.... I just don't know how much longer I can be bothered with it for.
Check that the track surface indicate as dry, damp or wet. For Dry conditions, slick are available. For Damp condition, inters are available. And for Wet condition, full wets will be available.

Senna755 said:

Check that the track surface indicate as dry, damp or wet. For Dry conditions, slick are available. For Damp condition, inters are available. And for Wet condition, full wets will be available.
I know that.  But the point is, the AI was driving on slicks as if the track was bone dry and I could not get within 25 seconds of their times.

Senna755 said:
Senna755 said:

I know that.  But the point is, the AI was driving on slicks as if the track was bone dry and I could not get within 25 seconds of their times.
Was it raining? I mean were there rain drops still falling? I find inters very slow and hard to drive on when the track is getting dryer and my laptimes usually increase in that phase. The weird times of AI in changeable conditions are known but it could be not entirely their fault.

It was raining.  It rained the whole session but everybody stayed on slicks.

When i watched the AI via onboard camera, they lapped high 1:50s as expected.  When I'm not watching, they do 1:37s.

This is definitely [yet another] bug.

AIs seem to have a hard limit with tires and pit stops.

Sure, if it starts raining or rain increases, you won't immediately change tires. But if it's not a condition for intermediates or heavy wets, the AI will always use slicks. They also never delay their pitstops. Worst case scenario, they pit twice in a row, which really spoils the fun sometimes.

This definitely needs to be improved.

Senna755 said:

When i watched the AI via onboard camera, they lapped high 1:50s as expected.  When I'm not watching, they do 1:37s.

Yup. That looks a lot like it. Even though it's probably not a bug but just how the AI times are simulated (which is even worse because it means the entire system is flawed)

Senna755 said:

I know the pain mate.

Sadly a very similar "bug" was lurking around in F1 2011 / F1 2012 / F1 2015 / F1 2016 as well, it totally destroyed offline racing during wet weather periods and i also had to experience the same trouble in F1 2017 again.

After all these years we could have seriously thought that this would be fixed by now.

Maybe in 2018?!

< "lel" | ;) >

EDIT: Imho the dynamic weather system needs to be overhauled to make a seemless change between dry and wet and vice versa with the AI getting the exact same time penalty for running the "wrong" tyres as the player does, also the simulated times of the AI need to be hardcoded to a certain range of possibilities being closely connected to their actual on track performance so that these ridiculous dry laptimes in wet weather conditions do not pop into our experience out of nowhere anymore.

In all honesty this whole debacle should have been a subject of a thorough investigation by Codies professionals but unfortunately we can pretty much assume that this probably won't be fixed for F1 2017, so all we can actively do now is providing clear evidence in the form of video footage and hope for the best whilst twiddling our thumbs and staring holes in the air, OR we can take matters in our own hands and start to do something about it ourselves by either boycotting or buying F1 2018 second hand.

Only money talks, not our condensed disappointment nor our shared content.....

#VoteWithYourWallet

carpa said:
Senna755 said:

Yup. That looks a lot like it. Even though it's probably not a bug but just how the AI times are simulated (which is even worse because it means the entire system is flawed)
But where the AI times are simulated, there should be some degree of parity between one, and the other.  A 20-second difference between a simulated time and an actual time, is just sloppy workmanship and, given the number of wet sessions we seem to get in F1 2017, I don't know how anyone at Codemasters could have NOT noticed this.  It isn't just wrong, it's WAY wrong.

Bottom line is, their simulation logic is massively flawed.

I know we all keep saying this needs more patches, but realistically, I don't think Codemasters would be able to fix everything that's wrong with this game if they gave themselves up to the release date of F1 2018, and probably beyond.  There's that much wrong with it.