Sign in to follow this  

Pad vs Wheel - Concerns

''Played on a pad, F1 2014 is a different game entirely, and wholly for the worse. There's a leaden feeling that's been introduced for this year's model, the cars stuck fast to the tarmac and wallowing around without the water-boatman-like agility that's been the foundation of previous Codemasters F1 games. Even playing with traction, braking and steering assists all switched off, it always feels like the suffocating cushion of driving aids is present.

It's enough to break the game. One of the harder scenarios offered in the returning Proving Grounds mode has you starting near the tail-end of the grid at a sodden Suzuka, setting out on slick tyres and hoping to capitalise on a drying track where all your competitors have opted for the safety of treads. It's a daunting task that requires delicate throttle control and insect-quick reactions - except on a pad, where it's not. You can stamp on the throttle out of a drenched Casio Triangle and barely get the slick-shod rears to spin before they're entirely muted, negating any feel for the track and any challenge.'' from Eurogamer

"However, there is a strange split between playing with a controller and with a racing wheel – between a Dualshock 4 and a Driving Force GT in this case, as I was playing on a PC. Simply put, when playing with a controller I was able to turn off all the major assists like traction control and ABS and still have a relatively easy to handle car, where I could still brake late and put the power down quite hard coming out of a corner.

The game is much more lively when playing with a racing wheel though, and with the same lack of assists, requires a lot more finesse on the brakes, accelerator and steering to avoid locking up into a corner or spearing off the track as you accelerate. Even the faster cars are more susceptible to this. Though I personally think it’s much more fun and it’s certainly much more challenging, it can often lead to you being something of a roadblock to the AI behind you while other drivers scamper off into the distance, and there’s not going to be much of a contest between the two control types when it comes to racing online." - Taken from a review

As a wheel user, I think it is ridiculous if this is the case. Obviously, what do people who have the game think of this and what are people's general views and opinions on it

+1 This is absolutely absurd. Giving the pad a hidden traction control is not how you should balance the pad vs wheel. Its just completely lazy and its going to ruin the game for wheel users online.

This is how it's always been... 2013 had the exact same problems, it actually sounds like they might have made the hidden pad assist even stronger in 2014!  In 2013 with a pad you can literally go full lock on every corner and never get any understeer or slip.  Not only does this suck for pad drivers that want a challenge, but it also sucks for online play where the options to ban assists really only apply to people that use a wheel.   It's a huge joke, it actually ruins the game for advanced pad users, and really ruin's fairness in online play.  If they only made these hidden assists user configurable the problem goes away.

@Hatta‌ has already fed back to the team which are working on it right now. See it here: 

https://twitter.com/lukespringuk/status/522482974835871745

Im on the pad and run assists off and in lean mix there is very minimal wheel spin, take the last corner at melbourne, in lean its full throttle but the car acts as if there is traction control on, but put the car in rich mix and the car completely changes into a wheelspin machine, again the last corner at melbourne, with rich mix you have to have 2 or 3 goes at putting the throttle fully down otherwise you lose so much time with wheelspin

7thGearRL said:
''Played on a pad, F1 2014 is a different game entirely, and wholly for the worse. There's a leaden feeling that's been introduced for this year's model, the cars stuck fast to the tarmac and wallowing around without the water-boatman-like agility that's been the foundation of previous Codemasters F1 games. Even playing with traction, braking and steering assists all switched off, it always feels like the suffocating cushion of driving aids is present.

It's enough to break the game. One of the harder scenarios offered in the returning Proving Grounds mode has you starting near the tail-end of the grid at a sodden Suzuka, setting out on slick tyres and hoping to capitalise on a drying track where all your competitors have opted for the safety of treads. It's a daunting task that requires delicate throttle control and insect-quick reactions - except on a pad, where it's not. You can stamp on the throttle out of a drenched Casio Triangle and barely get the slick-shod rears to spin before they're entirely muted, negating any feel for the track and any challenge.'' from Eurogamer

"However, there is a strange split between playing with a controller and with a racing wheel – between a Dualshock 4 and a Driving Force GT in this case, as I was playing on a PC. Simply put, when playing with a controller I was able to turn off all the major assists like traction control and ABS and still have a relatively easy to handle car, where I could still brake late and put the power down quite hard coming out of a corner.

The game is much more lively when playing with a racing wheel though, and with the same lack of assists, requires a lot more finesse on the brakes, accelerator and steering to avoid locking up into a corner or spearing off the track as you accelerate. Even the faster cars are more susceptible to this. Though I personally think it’s much more fun and it’s certainly much more challenging, it can often lead to you being something of a roadblock to the AI behind you while other drivers scamper off into the distance, and there’s not going to be much of a contest between the two control types when it comes to racing online." - Taken from a review

As a wheel user, I think it is ridiculous if this is the case. Obviously, what do people who have the game think of this and what are people's general views and opinions on it
I wondered why some of the "No Assists" videos show people struggling with oversteer/rear traction whilst others are driving like it's F1 2012. It may just be the pad steering assist is bringing you around corners too smoothly and making it easier to put power down.

Have you tried the DFGT with steering assists switched ON?

I will be getting it tomorrow - as the guy above said, they are looking into it, so all we can do is enjoy the game and await any news. 

I can confirm using a G27 that you have to be very careful with the throttle.  I haven't got to play tons yet, but I have to keep it in a higher gear and short shift alot while not giving max throttle input.  So it seems fine with the Steering Wheel.  It must be a pad thing.

SO PLEASE DON'T make it more grippy, just make it not so easy on the pad.

Playing on PC using no assists.

Yeah I'm using a g27 on PS3 with assists off and it's tough to control and will take some getting used to however,. Pad users leave you behind with this revised handling s&@t

online racing leagues will have to continue using f1 2013. The pad's advantage is so huge in f1 2014 it makes fair and equal racing online impossible

The pad/controller IS NOT FASTER, Malaysia, china, Bahrain, Spain, Germany, Britain, Belgium, Brazil the WHEEL is easily faster by a big margin with a decent player at the wheel so don't say the controller/pad is faster it really isn't, the only time wheel users who use no TC lose out is at the start!

softy94 said:
The pad/controller IS NOT FASTER, Malaysia, china, Bahrain, Spain, Germany, Britain, Belgium, Brazil the WHEEL is easily faster by a big margin with a decent player at the wheel so don't say the controller/pad is faster it really isn't, the only time wheel users who use no TC lose out is at the start!
You are completely wrong. Go look at the time trial leaderboards on the 360 at any of those tracks apart from Germany. Top 10 is 8 or 9 pads vs 1 or 2 wheels

Infact Malaysia, China, Spain and Brazil are some of the WORST tracks on the game for the wheel because of the tyre wear.

I have resorted to medium traction control anyway. 1 lap pace is fine, over a race distance especially with tyre wear, the disadvantage is huge. 

softy94 said:
The pad/controller IS NOT FASTER, Malaysia, china, Bahrain, Spain, Germany, Britain, Belgium, Brazil the WHEEL is easily faster by a big margin with a decent player at the wheel so blahblah blah
Just..., shut up

Looking into huh? Oct 2014....fast foward 4 months later...still nothing but a single audio patch.I really enjoy the f1 titles but the pad assist is killing this game experience for wheel users.hope this isnt a sign of things to come on f1 2015..

Looking into huh? Oct 2014....fast foward 4 months later...still nothing but a single audio patch.I really enjoy the f1 titles but the pad assist is killing this game experience for wheel users.hope this isnt a sign of things to come on f1 2015..
Unfortunately it was pretty much confirmed in November that there was't going to be a patch which is unfortunate.

Even the PC version has had nothing for it and that is much easier to get patches on than console. I think most people knew CM weren't going to do much with the game compared to F1 2013 but not doing anything about a problem so big that probably wouldn't need much effort to patch is a joke.

I haven't bought a an F1 game since 2011 because of this garbage.  A forced steering lock assist for pad users?   Even Mario Kart trusts its players to steer.  2014 ups the ante to traction control(even when assist menu says otherwise).

I'm a pad user, and when I see other pad users consistently beating wheel users in an F1 game, that tells me something is wrong.

I hope it's worth it codemasters.  How many core fans are you willing to lose, all in search of an oxymoron?  The casual F1 gamer.

The pad assist is b.s. and hell if they want to make it mario kart ok....but a patch that would simply let us cut off the hidden assist for league races would work for me.. so many people are leaving ..but I dont blame them..getting lapped on lap 20 .on a 50% race...wtf...when I easily can stay up front with the pad..come on..steering assist off should mean steering assist off.for bot h pad and wheel users..thanks for punishing us for spending money on a wheel to play the game the way it should be.

The pad assist is bs and one of the biggest fuck ups in the F1 series Imo, on the other hand it just goes to show how powerful the assists always have been in the last 5 games. I know a pad without aids still has them all active but without such strong tc and abs the gap wouldn't be as big in the first place! This years game imo requires the most throttle control of any console game so when cm build such strong aids it puts any player at a disadvantage who is running no assists. I shouldn't be able to go up to 3 sec quicker (some tracks) a lap in the wet just because I can brake fully and still turn then get on full power before exiting the corner, Sure you cant expect new comers to know what throttle control is so need aids available to use but with a tail happy car (no assists) you cant give assist users the grip they have now and expect it to be a fair race. Perfect example is the last corner of Melbourne, the amount of time my mate and the ai pull out can be up to 7tenths when my tyres are worn and that's all down to how much better grip tc gives you (hes on wheel also but runs all assists)   

vtidixon said:

The pad assist is bs and one of the biggest fuck ups in the F1 series Imo, on the other hand it just goes to show how powerful the assists always have been in the last 5 games. I know a pad without aids still has them all active but without such strong tc and abs the gap wouldn't be as big in the first place! This years game imo requires the most throttle control of any console game so when cm build such strong aids it puts any player at a disadvantage who is running no assists. I shouldn't be able to go up to 3 sec quicker (some tracks) a lap in the wet just because I can brake fully and still turn then get on full power before exiting the corner, Sure you cant expect new comers to know what throttle control is so need aids available to use but with a tail happy car (no assists) you cant give assist users the grip they have now and expect it to be a fair race. Perfect example is the last corner of Melbourne, the amount of time my mate and the ai pull out can be up to 7tenths when my tyres are worn and that's all down to how much better grip tc gives you (hes on wheel also but runs all assists)   

Couldn't agree more. Codemasters had almost half a year to bring out one simple patch to fix the hidden assists and overpowered AI (traction control in rain and tyre wear)... These have been around since the beginning but Codemasters only seem to care about arcade players and not their hardcore players. I don't expect this message will make a change, but still...

Thing I don't get is why codies are so eager to make the most accessible racing game (there words) on a pad yet on a wheel they have made a huge step forward in terms of the way the car behaves, Sure its not sim but I think its better than forza and grand turismo  so for console its the best game for punishing you with a slow lap for trying to overdrive the car. Switch to a pad or even turn assists on a wheel and you will find it very hard to drive over the limit even in full wet conditions. I still think 14 is a good game and for driving its the best racer I own but with such unbalanced aids, weather, and AI I always feel cheated when playing it. Should say 95% of my time is spent in career mode so the cars are a lot harder to drive, Just thought id point that out because I know how much some ppl believe forza and GT are sim :) Im in 2 minds about 15 being the game we all want after the way 14 played out but the F1 fan in me wants it to blow pcars away, my brain says it will be a big let down tho so who knows what cm come up with. 

I played 2012 mostly on controller because I was fairly new to racing on 360. It made me buy a wheel. Better with a wheel. Always is.
I played 2013 with both because my wheel broke and I didn't replace it right away. I missed having force feedback obviously, but was still able to have fun and only needed minor changes to my setup. 
I had D3 before any F1 game or wheel and spent a ton of time on controller with that game. I started playing it again when I got my wheel and it was so much fun, but a little harder. Eventually I broke most, maybe all of my time trial records on wheel. 

I haven't tried F1 2014 on controller and until I have to, I won't. My upshift paddle busted and I've had to switch to shifting with B button, but whatever. Glad there's no KERS because that was the button I used for it in 12 and 13. I guess I'd map it to A button now, but it'd make blasting KERS and upshifting together quite awkward.