Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On Multiplayer

Listen guys if you take the time and read her post carefully you'll see that its obviously not codemasters fault. Its the worlds fault, i mean, who could have possibly known that countries were so far apart from each other. Living in Australia i take full responsibility for the Safety Car bug because apparently our ping is 300 m/s from the UK... Funny but i cant remember my ping EVER being as high as 300m/s for any online game EVER. BUT non the less im sure New Zealand will accept the blame for the flying cars.

Come to think about it, if we all just moved to the same country the game would work fine,,, maybe its all our fault. 
Yea how inconsiderate are we! All living in different countries and cities tut tut bad customers

Listen guys if you take the time and read her post carefully you'll see that its obviously not codemasters fault. Its the worlds fault, i mean, who could have possibly known that countries were so far apart from each other. Living in Australia i take full responsibility for the Safety Car bug because apparently our ping is 300 m/s from the UK... Funny but i cant remember my ping EVER being as high as 300m/s for any online game EVER. BUT non the less im sure New Zealand will accept the blame for the flying cars.

Come to think about it, if we all just moved to the same country the game would work fine,,, maybe its all our fault. 
safety car is probably from UK so he dont know how to drive in Australia. lol

@jennyannem

So we can pretty much tldl; the original post to:

Latency matters.

Breaking news. Water is wet. Latency may exacerbate some existing issues, but having better latency between players won't fix the bugs such as:

THE DAMN SAFETY CAR, which Codemasters have completely abandoned fixing and have simply ignored the countless threads asking for some acknowledgement.

Lets not beat around the bush, the decision to implement a peer to peer system is purely financial. Pretty much any game that relies heavily on latency and the quality of connection is better served via a dedicated server

Great work ignoring your customers.

I'm amazed how one can use so many words to say almost nothing... Sorry but this 'statement' is embarrassing. All you've told us is what the latency bars do and that there will be a beta at some point in the next months. Pretty bold move after this year's beta which apparently did absolutely nothing because the multiplayer still came out broken as hell and needed 2-3 patches to become sort of playable...

DiscoDave said:

THE DAMN SAFETY CAR, which Codemasters have completely abandoned fixing and have simply ignored the countless threads asking for some acknowledgement.

Let's be serious here. They've probably ignored fixing it because they probably don't know how to.

This is why they need to get programmers from Nintendo or Sega into Codemasters.

my tip.... Don't make F12018 for August release next year. The last 3 games have been filled with glitches and poor coding.Fix this current game.
Wait, test, develop and release F1 2019 in April time in 2019. STOP USING YOUTUBERS AS BETA TESTERS!

From what I can read this statement has nothing to do with any SC bug or something like that, just only bad connections.
I guess a lot of people do not even understand right that there is nothing you can do about the ping and that a racing game is way more affected by lag than other games....
Just do the mathematics yourfelf... Even with good ping you will still have bad lag, due to the high speeds. Example: 300km/h=83.33m/s, that makes 8.333 meters at 100ms ping, or 1.666 meters at 20ms ping. 20ms ping is reasonably good, and still, when racing wheel to wheel 1.6 meters of lag is too much for wheel to wheel racing. There is nothing that can be done to prevent this...
Dedicated server would not help here, as there would be the same lag, just in a defferent way: instead of the other cars lagging, you would see your onw car lagging back and forth as your client has to doublecheck your position all the time with the server. The lagg at such high speeds would cause so much rubberbanding that it would be horrible to drive, and getting worse the higher the ping is...
MAny other games are not that much affected by this, as things move slower, for example any shooter game, where you are just running around and shooting... There you are running around at 20-30km/h max, obviously causing way less lag as lag is not only affected by ping, but also a lot affected by moving-speed...
cheers,
and avoid any any hate messanges, as this is only about lag, not any other bugs, and merry christmas ;)

I disagree. The 1.6m at 20ms ping is basically a worst case scenario. But you've got each car's position, velocity and acceleration from 40-50ms ago, which you can use to extrapolate where they would be on your screen much more accurately. Plus you've got the AI to help in that prediction.

And of course you don't need to do that for every car. It's only the ones you are immediately near that you need to do the extra calculations for anyway.

@jasg2207

Your idea is exaxtly what we need right now, they could also put the 2014 - 2019 seasons all into F1 2019 and give us a proper ultimate V6T era F1 game whilst working hard on getting rid of as many bugs and glitches as possible.

I for sure wouldn't mind at all if they took this path if it means quality, but their financial department and or even their shareholders probably wouldn't like that idea unfortunately as their influence isn't a new phenomenon that suddenly appeared out of nowhere, we've seen how businessmen can pretty much f**** up any branche just to serve their own shortsighted purposes in several occasions over the past 20 years.

Either way this is just wishful thinking as if we really wanted to make Codemasters have a run for their money we should have started boycotting in 2015 whilst signing a petition that included this idea of taking a sabbatical just to come back with possibly a true contender of the crown to being the best F1 game ever made imho.

PS: Just a little rant as a sidenote, but why even make a game that only includes the 2014 - 2019 seasons if they could also start off with 2009 - 2019?

F1 Challenge 99 - 02 was a great game, Codies could take a similar approach if they wanted, lel.

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to all of you who’ve sent your feedback in to us with F1 2017. We’ve read and watched all of it, especially with your feedback on multiplayer - we know that some of you have spoken to us a lot about multiplayer, and we just wanted to talk a little bit about this. Behind the scenes we’re doing a lot of work in order to make the multiplayer experience better for you. With this is mind, one of the things you’ll notice us doing is bringing testing processes forward for our next projects, in order that we can take as much of your feedback on board. We’ll be keeping you posted on this, and you’ll be hearing more in the coming months.

As we’ve been looking at the issues you’ve been having, there are a few things we’ve noticed you can do in order to make your experience the best it can be, and explain some of what we’re showing you in game.

F1 2017’s multiplayer is peer-to-peer, and this is because having it peer-to-peer minimises the ping time, (a direct connection is faster than a message being passed via another machine), and it’s a low ping in particular that we’ve found gives you the best experience.  Playing in the same geographical location will really help keep your ping low - Australia is at least 300ms (1/3rd second) latent from the UK and there’s only so much we can do with your connection at that distance!

When you join a game, you’ll enter the lobby, and you’ll be shown the lobby connection bar – coloured in green, yellow and red. The lobby connection bar shows the worst state of three different measurements for each peer: ping time, bandwidth, as well as connectivity.  You’ll also notice that it takes a while before the bars start filling in, and this is because the connection is being measured in the lobby. If the game is started before this has begun, it’s then assumed that the bandwidth is low (256kbit), and you’ll usually get a warning about voice chat restriction. You’ll also notice that red connectivity bars might be displayed above some cars, these are displayed above a car that is more than 110ms (1/10th second) latent. If it’s constantly on, it’s a slow connection. If it’s flashing on and off, that means we’re getting very infrequent updates. You might also see a car with a red ‘X’ above it, this means that the car in question is getting data that’s more than 500ms (half a second) old, or not getting data at all.

Whilst the above will explain some what you’ve been experiencing with F1 2017, we are always looking at ways to do better.  As we alluded to earlier, we’re looking to share some news about testing in the coming months – so make sure you keep an eye out for sign-up details.

With that, we hope that you have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Jenny

ok well, people- we can' t compare f1 game with shooter- i shooter you don't se that kind of problems- not cause problems doesnt exist!
This is the reality- if someone have slow internet connection- its bad luck! 

With this is mind, one of the things you’ll notice us doing is bringing testing processes forward for our next projects, in order that we can take as much of your feedback on board. We’ll be keeping you posted on this, and you’ll be hearing more in the coming months.

So, instead of  Codemasters paying proper testers to test the game it sounds like they're going to offload testing onto the community, expecting us to spend our free time in doing their job for them, for free?

Joke company, absolutely appalling. The game is broken and you won't fix it, you do not care about your paying customers. Never again will you be getting my money, which pays your wages btw.

Hawkeye407 said:
So, instead of  Codemasters paying proper testers to test the game it sounds like they're going to offload testing onto the community, expecting us to spend our free time in doing their job for them, for free?

Better to have willing volunteers test games in pre-launch open betas instead of having paying customers test games post-launch. :)

...But yeah, it seems unprofessional for a company that's been making games for 31+ years to not have their own internal means for more extensive testing.

"Whilst the above will explain some what you’ve been experiencing with F1 2017, we are always looking at ways to do better.  As we alluded to earlier, we’re looking to share some news about testing in the coming months"

I've tried everything over the years since 2010 too make things better online even port forwarding. As far as I'm concerned my opinion to your response is this. 

Blah, blah, blah your response is as cheap as the development and support you provide.

echo321 said:
From what I can read this statement has nothing to do with any SC bug or something like that, just only bad connections.
I guess a lot of people do not even understand right that there is nothing you can do about the ping and that a racing game is way more affected by lag than other games....
Just do the mathematics yourfelf... Even with good ping you will still have bad lag, due to the high speeds. Example: 300km/h=83.33m/s, that makes 8.333 meters at 100ms ping, or 1.666 meters at 20ms ping. 20ms ping is reasonably good, and still, when racing wheel to wheel 1.6 meters of lag is too much for wheel to wheel racing. There is nothing that can be done to prevent this...
Dedicated server would not help here, as there would be the same lag, just in a defferent way: instead of the other cars lagging, you would see your onw car lagging back and forth as your client has to doublecheck your position all the time with the server. The lagg at such high speeds would cause so much rubberbanding that it would be horrible to drive, and getting worse the higher the ping is...
MAny other games are not that much affected by this, as things move slower, for example any shooter game, where you are just running around and shooting... There you are running around at 20-30km/h max, obviously causing way less lag as lag is not only affected by ping, but also a lot affected by moving-speed...
cheers,
and avoid any any hate messanges, as this is only about lag, not any other bugs, and merry christmas ;)
Have you ever played any racing game online other than F1 ?

SgtKubica said:
People mass spam forums about online safety car glitch, yet Codemasters are focused on the next game.

Well done Codemasters. Pat on the back for you.
They have to, they have to release a game every year

Codies just trolling us now!

What an insulting post. As if its our fault for playing a ONLINE game with people that arent in our country....not like theres an option to search only for people on my street! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Imagine the outrage if this was said about Gran Turismo or Forza for example.
Sidenote: We started an online championship recently with a few guys in the same freakin' COUNTY....a phantom Felipe Massa won the race in Melbourne by over 15 minutes :open_mouth:
...end of that championship!

Its a little early this year, but the codies cirlce of life (lies) is just about complete....again....

P.S. I worked with you guys on Colin McRae rally back in the golden days and its so sad to see what you're churning out now! 

Done with this calamity. RACING GAME OF THE YEAR LOL!

What an insulting post. As if its our fault for playing a ONLINE game with people that arent in our country....not like theres an option to search only for people on my street! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Imagine the outrage if this was said about Gran Turismo or Forza for example.
Sidenote: We started an online championship recently with a few guys in the same freakin' COUNTY....a phantom Felipe Massa won the race in Melbourne by over 15 minutes :open_mouth:
...end of that championship!

I am still baffled that they still have no filters in custom games. I end up finding 10 lobbies where 5 are already full, 4 have only 1 or 2 players and only 1 is not full yet.
A filter to find the lobby with the best connection possible would be great as long as it is P2P.

I am also in a league where the players are in neighboring countries and the desync is sometimes massive while the top guy in the standings has no issues in another league with people from the same neighboring countries, germany and austria.

P2P does not work.

Okay... so I was one of the guys advocating for the game around the end of September saying that they'll patch it all up.

If this is where you guys are planning on leaving the game at, I'm done.

People in the leauge I'm running in from split 1 all the way down to the second assist leauge, now including myself at this point, are still complaining about desync issues and the safety car glitch. For example, at the Austrian GP two weeks ago, one of our drivers left the lobby and my game dropped from 100 fps to about 10, stayed that way until the end of Qualy. I still think I would have qualified in the top 5 if it wasn't for a bug you guys failed to patch.

Don't make a 2018. Get yourselves sorted out first, figure out what works and what doesn't, then make F1 2019 and combine the 2018 season in there. You guys are supposed to be professional coders. Taking an extra 12 months to verify your methods work as advertised is understandable, especially now that you've shown us your real colors. I'm studying software engineering myself. I know how hard it is to get things to cooperate sometimes but this is unfathomable. I'm pretty sure everyone else on these forums will agree with me.

C mon! Give codies Some credits! Without them you wouldn’t even have a good F1 game! Maybe the MP needs a patch but still. All This negative comments! And they are also planning with esports Next year and making F1 2018! Hopefully testing Will be Great! Have a Merry christmas @jennyannem and a happy 2018! Hopefully speak you soon :wink:
That's the thing... It's not a good F1 game. They need to stop releasing games until they're actually ready.
Agree with this. Nothing to stop them from taking a year out to give us a proper F1 2019... Except the Codemasters Sales Team of course.
Pretty sure their licence requires them to release a game every year, so yes, there is.

I suspected they were trolling us, now I'm sure.

After months of silence, without any decent comment on the tons of bugs of this game ... Without ever expressed at least the awareness of having proposed an unworthy online ... Now they even do us a lesson on how the online game works?!?

And what should we do with this info?!?

We in our championships are all Italians and we are in Italy, we certainly do not have the problem of having people from Australia with a ridiculus ping!

The problems of this game are NOT related to the poor connections of the players, I do not accept that Codemasters discharge the responsibilities for their bugs on us. Besides being ridiculous, they also pretend to come out clean from this mess.

This game is an insult and their behavior is offensive to the whole community that is supporting them. Since too long already.

Lopensky said:
I suspected they were trolling us, now I'm sure.

After months of silence, without any decent comment on the tons of bugs of this game ... Without ever expressed at least the awareness of having proposed an unworthy online ... Now they even do us a lesson on how the online game works?!?

And what should we do with this info?!?

We in our championships are all Italians and we are in Italy, we certainly do not have the problem of having people from Australia with a ridiculus ping!

The problems of this game are NOT related to the poor connections of the players, I do not accept that Codemasters discharge the responsibilities for their bugs on us. Besides being ridiculous, they also pretend to come out clean from this mess.

This game is an insult and their behavior is offensive to the whole community that is supporting them. Since too long already.

Hi @Lopensky, as in the original post, we know some are experiencing issues with multiplayer. Our original post contains things you can do in order to make your experience the best it can be. As we also said in our original post: we are always looking at ways to do better.

We're in the process of putting together our plans to bring our testing processes forward for the next projects, this is something we're still very much doing. In the meantime, we very much want to hear and collect as much information as possible about the issues you're still experiencing.