Sign in to follow this  

On Multiplayer

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to all of you who’ve sent your feedback in to us with F1 2017. We’ve read and watched all of it, especially with your feedback on multiplayer - we know that some of you have spoken to us a lot about multiplayer, and we just wanted to talk a little bit about this. Behind the scenes we’re doing a lot of work in order to make the multiplayer experience better for you. With this is mind, one of the things you’ll notice us doing is bringing testing processes forward for our next projects, in order that we can take as much of your feedback on board. We’ll be keeping you posted on this, and you’ll be hearing more in the coming months.

As we’ve been looking at the issues you’ve been having, there are a few things we’ve noticed you can do in order to make your experience the best it can be, and explain some of what we’re showing you in game.

F1 2017’s multiplayer is peer-to-peer, and this is because having it peer-to-peer minimises the ping time, (a direct connection is faster than a message being passed via another machine), and it’s a low ping in particular that we’ve found gives you the best experience.  Playing in the same geographical location will really help keep your ping low - Australia is at least 300ms (1/3rd second) latent from the UK and there’s only so much we can do with your connection at that distance!

When you join a game, you’ll enter the lobby, and you’ll be shown the lobby connection bar – coloured in green, yellow and red. The lobby connection bar shows the worst state of three different measurements for each peer: ping time, bandwidth, as well as connectivity.  You’ll also notice that it takes a while before the bars start filling in, and this is because the connection is being measured in the lobby. If the game is started before this has begun, it’s then assumed that the bandwidth is low (256kbit), and you’ll usually get a warning about voice chat restriction. You’ll also notice that red connectivity bars might be displayed above some cars, these are displayed above a car that is more than 110ms (1/10th second) latent. If it’s constantly on, it’s a slow connection. If it’s flashing on and off, that means we’re getting very infrequent updates. You might also see a car with a red ‘X’ above it, this means that the car in question is getting data that’s more than 500ms (half a second) old, or not getting data at all.

Whilst the above will explain some what you’ve been experiencing with F1 2017, we are always looking at ways to do better.  As we alluded to earlier, we’re looking to share some news about testing in the coming months – so make sure you keep an eye out for sign-up details.

With that, we hope that you have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Jenny

so basicly this means patches for 2017 are not even happening anymore and it feels like there is coming a CTE (beta) style kind of testing for the next game......all over again........

@jennyannem What a cheap statement. With all the issues we have in multiplayer you explain how peer to peer works.

The main issues I have in multiplayer that have been addressed many times. I play on pc

- host get lag spikes when somebody leaves the lobby. This is not ping related and should be fixed in the game itself.

- Safety car. enough have been said about that.

- The lobby system itself has a bad design. Between sessions like qualify and the race. When somebody does not press enter the rest of the players have to wait. When the game crashed for somebody between the sessions the rest of the players are stuck in limbo. This is bad game design.

- The weird desync issues. Yea maybe some of them can be blamed on bad ping. But a game like GTA online uses peer to peer as well and does not have weird issues in races. In the f1 games sometimes the start lights are not in sync for everybody. c'mon really. A race game where the start lights are not in sync????

Overall you guys did a bad job when I only look at the multiplayer side. This is not worth 60 euros. And then the support from you guys is just as bad. Big issues getting ignored and week comments like now.

I just want my money back now.

larryl said:
so basicly this means patches for 2017 are not even happening anymore and it feels like there is coming a CTE (beta) style kind of testing for the next game......all over again........

The circle is complete again yea. Another unfinished product and belter promises for next year. What a scam.

Is this supposed to help, this is just an instruction manual on your on-line presentation.

No fixes coming?

Count me out of next year's testing because I won't be buying.

Merry Xmas though.

I honestly cant believe you will leave the Safety Car in this state. As said above, no more F1 games for me. Bulls**t statements like this show how you all dont care.

Cool. You can keep your f1 2018 bug fest and I’ll keep my money. What a joke of a company honestly 

Why can you not just admit that you have ripped us off. You advertise that this is the pinnacle of racing games yet the game has been out for 6 months and it is still broken. I will be looking for ways to recoup my money as you have sold us a defective product. If I was to buy an appliance like a washing machine and it didn't work as stated I can ask to be put in the position I was at the start under legislation. It's called the consumer rights act. I believe you have breached this and will be conversing with the advertising standards agency as well as trading standards. From my understanding most of the bugs in this game have been present in previous games. I would like you as a company to start treating us as customers and and not just cash cows. The statement I have just read is a pathetic excuse and you should be ashamed at the state of the game 6 months after release. 

I hope that you read this and take action but from previous experience I don't think you will. I personally would be embarrassed if the standard of my work was as low as yours is.

I would say merry Christmas but i would not mean it so am going to refrain from this.

Carlmedz1 said:
Why can you not just admit that you have ripped us off. You advertise that this is the pinnacle of racing games yet the game has been out for 6 months and it is still broken. I will be looking for ways to recoup my money as you have sold us a defective product. If I was to buy an appliance like a washing machine and it didn't work as stated I can ask to be put in the position I was at the start under legislation. It's called the consumer rights act. I believe you have breached this and will be conversing with the advertising standards agency as well as trading standards. From my understanding most of the bugs in this game have been present in previous games. I would like you as a company to start treating us as customers and and not just cash cows. The statement I have just read is a pathetic excuse and you should be ashamed at the state of the game 6 months after release. 

I hope that you read this and take action but from previous experience I don't think you will. I personally would be embarrassed if the standard of my work was as low as yours is.

I would say merry Christmas but i would not mean it so am going to refrain from this.

I have taken steps towards a refund(bought it digitally) if you paid by debit or credit card you can dispute the payment with your bank and get refunded that way.

Wow. It doesn't really affect me as I wouldn't go near online play, but that's outrageous. "We aren't going to fix the game you paid for but if you buy F1 2018 next year we just might have the safety car and online play fixed!". Can't Codemasters see how wrong this is?!

Is there any other industry in the world that works like this? If you buy a cooker and the grill is missing, would the retailer tell you "Buy the upgraded model in 2018, and we'll do our best to provide you with a grill free of charge!"? No.

It's absurd.

C mon! Give codies Some credits! Without them you wouldn’t even have a good F1 game! Maybe the MP needs a patch but still. All This negative comments! And they are also planning with esports Next year and making F1 2018! Hopefully testing Will be Great! Have a Merry christmas @jennyannem and a happy 2018! Hopefully speak you soon :wink:

Carlmedz1 said:
 The statement I have just read is a pathetic excuse and you should be ashamed at the state of the game 6 months after release. 

117 days in fact. 

C mon! Give codies Some credits! Without them you wouldn’t even have a good F1 game! Maybe the MP needs a patch but still. All This negative comments! And they are also planning with esports Next year and making F1 2018! Hopefully testing Will be Great! Have a Merry christmas @jennyannem and a happy 2018! Hopefully speak you soon :wink:
Yeah I used to recite this mantra back starting with F1 2014. Don’t lie to yourself. F1 2016 has less bugs than 2017. It’ll be worse and you’ll be upset 

That's the thing... It's not a good F1 game. They need to stop releasing games until they're actually ready.

That's the thing... It's not a good F1 game. They need to stop releasing games until they're actually ready.
Agree with this. Nothing to stop them from taking a year out to give us a proper F1 2019... Except the Codemasters Sales Team of course.

I have no words for this...thats just sad and a punch in the face of every League. I really like to know what the YouTube guys are really thinking about this.. 

jennyannem saud:

With that, we hope that you have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Jenny

Thx Jenny, wish you also a Merry Christmas.

Your words about the Multiplayer ....i dont understand that. When i play World of tanks with 30 other players from different countrys in one lobby, i never have desync problens. 
When i play with 8 guys from Germany F1 17, the lobby have no problems. When i play with 20 guys from Germany f1 17, the lobby have a lot desync's
The Problem is not only our ping. 

Also the other bugs. Last Sunday in my League race, someone leave the Lobby with a disconnect. On 2 cars the setup change from costume to default setup. 
The setup is a +2 month old problem and you dont fix it.
When you guys work hard in background, where are solutions?
The last Patch was not so successful.

Many people think you need a new/better Engine. Can you tell me, is that true?

So flying cars,glitches,random disconections and all that other bad coding you guys did, has something to do with peer to peer. Stop this before i start to pis s my pants.
even in the esports finals, that was LAN the game fucked it up for some guys.so this whole peer to peer story is completly bullshit....
EA EA EA!!!! Or someone else capable. 
Codemasters is a very big joke... iam outta here.

Listen guys if you take the time and read her post carefully you'll see that its obviously not codemasters fault. Its the worlds fault, i mean, who could have possibly known that countries were so far apart from each other. Living in Australia i take full responsibility for the Safety Car bug because apparently our ping is 300 m/s from the UK... Funny but i cant remember my ping EVER being as high as 300m/s for any online game EVER. BUT non the less im sure New Zealand will accept the blame for the flying cars.

Come to think about it, if we all just moved to the same country the game would work fine,,, maybe its all our fault. 

Jaketa said:
I have no words for this...thats just sad and a punch in the face of every League. I really like to know what the YouTube guys are really thinking about this.. 
The top ones in the F1 gaming community are "paid" by CM through March-PRE-ALPHA, BETA versions and early access codes of the new game as well as a free boom in views as there are not many other sources of new gameplay pre-release. :)

Occasionally you can see small hints of disappointment in their commentary when the game does not cooperate (lag and bugs) like in Bens (Tiametmarduk) ASR league race videos.

But overall, unfortunately you cannot rely on them for understanding or support.
Sucks don't it?

F1 2017’s multiplayer is peer-to-peer, and this is because having it peer-to-peer minimises the ping time, (a direct connection is faster than a message being passed via another machine), and it’s a low ping in particular that we’ve found gives you the best experience.  Playing in the same geographical location will really help keep your ping low - Australia is at least 300ms (1/3rd second) latent from the UK and there’s only so much we can do with your connection at that distance!

I see the point, but I still disagree - P2P tends to bring unstable gaming for a variety of games, and especially this one - it's very sensitive to even small ping adjustments. Having a dedicated server in a few places (like a few in Europe, a few in Americas, a few in Asia/Oceania and so on) and having it handle the sent data from players (instead of every PC/Console handling the data) might increase ping/lag, but also should increase stability - and maybe even MP bug fixing could be quicker...
I mean, look at CSGO - also a sensitive to ping game, but players in Official modes connect to an official MP server cluster with its' settings; all calculations are done server-side so everyone gets the same data. (Might be a bit off comparison - but that's what came first to my mind)

People mass spam forums about online safety car glitch, yet Codemasters are focused on the next game.

Well done Codemasters. Pat on the back for you.

Thanks for an update on the connection issues.
Does this mean there is nothing in the works for some of the other multiplayer issues like the safety car bugs?

Explaining the technicalities of networking does nothing towards resolving a game's online issues, and gamers shouldn't need an advanced network configuration certification just to play online games. Many people can play some games over their connections with few (if any) issues, but other games struggle considerably - which seems to indicate game-specific issues, not connection-specific issues.

Besides, I don't think many people demand flawless online experiences in lobbies where players are literally on opposite sides of the planet from each other. Not to mention, some online issues have little or nothing to do directly with pings between players.

Just some thoughts that might be worth exploring (if they haven't already been considered):

• maybe provide lobby hosts with an optional lobby setting for ping-based restrictions - an option to not allow players to join the lobby if their ping-to-host exceeds a specified threshold

• maybe provide lobby search filters that allow players to filter based on ping-to-hosts - an option to show only joinable lobbies that the searching player has a low/fast ping to (with a user-friendly in-game on-screen notification warning players of potential issues when they choose to connect to lobbies with high/slow pings)

• maybe a deeper dive into the game's netcode & lag-compensation to find optimizations & ways to better handle ping differences among players in lobbies

• expand online functionality testing to include more imperfect & unpredictable real-world scenarios like random ping fluctuations during game-play, random jitter during game-play, having players join & drop at random times mid-session to make sure other players don't get lag spikes or disconnects from it, etc., and build in more contingencies to handle those cases better (because testing only in perfect or predictable conditions is not sufficient to prepare games for real-world usage)

I don't think many people expect game companies to overcome the physical limitations of networking. The problem is that, in this day & age, nearly everybody is gaming on high-speed internet connections but many are somehow still plagued by lag-related issues reminiscent of what was seen in older dial-up gaming. Residential internet connections are faster than ever, so online gaming should be too.

Not everybody is sharing a wifi mobile phone hot-spot connection on a remote oil rig in the Antarctic Ocean with dozens of other people streaming movies & FaceTiming & web-camming over that same connection - so our online gaming shouldn't feel like that.

Looks like no one is interested in testing your next game...makes sense...maybe Codemasters will finally feel the burn.  I'm happy at the amount of people boycotting next year's cash grab.  You folks brought this on yourselves. 

@jennyannem, I still don't understand your post.  Are your saying the reason for the online shit show is my fault because I live in Canada? It doesn't make sense. There are people complaining about online championships and they're from the same country so how do you explain that? I can't even play an online championship with my brother and he lives down the street from me.  Let me guess...is it because he has a different color ps4 than me??? Come on, we are all not that naive. 

please give us, or me at least, a grown up response as to why the game is being left in the state its in.