Sign in to follow this  

Why is my last name offensive

on f1 2016 and now f1 2017 when I go to enter my last name (which is shores) into the driver name screen, it says name “denied as this name may cause offence”, I have typed my name into to various search engines but it fails to bring back any form of offensives translations.

Yeah, that's known to be overzealous with banning certain things.

S HORES
SHO RES

Can't think of anything actually offensive. Post in Technical Assistance and @F1Support should be able to figure out why or provide a workaround.
Probably along the lines of "Use a different name" if they can't edit the acceptable names list I guess. 

This annoys me too. If I pay for a game I do not expect to be censored, neither do I appreciate it. They even censor what names you can call your setups. Why? Who is being protected exactly? It's not like anyone else is going to see the names I choose.

Sorry, but do people even see those kind of names? It's just for offline play, right?

And does it even censor/block actual multiplayer tags? I don't know, but I don't think it does.

That's just completely dumb game design.

Some online games I play for mobile censor even words in English that are fine but swear words or close to swear words in other languages lol! Can make a simple sentence look really dodgy..

Seems this game is ranking up close to CoD in terms of censorship when it comes to names you can type in.

Go look at the name in this thread  :D

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/109726/is-this-the-right-place-to-report-a-cheater#latest

Presumably it looks for groups of letters common in expletives, offensive names etc...but as usual with this type of thing it is over zealous and erratic. 

on f1 2016 and now f1 2017 when I go to enter my last name (which is shores) into the driver name screen, it says name “denied as this name may cause offence”, I have typed my name into to various search engines but it fails to bring back any form of offensives translations.
I believe it's because you have 'ho' in the surname... Yeah, they're overzealous at times (and it's not only Codies).
I play also FIFA on a regular basis, I wanted to create a player named Soshito Nakakata (which is a common joke in Italian which roughly translates into I'm very ugly) as my ProClub player, yet they wouldn't let me do so (you see why though, there's 'sh!t' in the name so... Yeah, it looks like they all use the "better safe than sorry" approach.

ale85bg said:
I believe it's because you have 'ho' in the surname... Yeah, they're overzealous at times (and it's not only Codies).
I play also FIFA on a regular basis, I wanted to create a player named Soshito Nakakata (which is a common joke in Italian which roughly translates into I'm very ugly) as my ProClub player, yet they wouldn't let me do so (you see why though, there's '****' in the name so... Yeah, it looks like they all use the "better safe than sorry" approach.
VERY roughly translates ;)
It reminds me how I had no problems with DiRT 4 to call my new player Eubriaca yesterday night. I assume you're italian so you can try that in FIFA :D

Yeah, I am Italian... That's why my character from F1 2010 onwards has always been called Guido Piano. :p

ale85bg said:
Yeah, I am Italian... That's why my character from F1 2010 onwards has always been called Guido Piano. :p
I'm Italian too... great name for your character!
My usual DiRT character is called Sfasho Mäkinen instead :D son of the great Tommi