Sign in to follow this  

A Step Forward

I don't know how anyone who's played previous years with a pad can say 2014 is a step forward unless they like artificial assists.  Mario kart is more sim than this now. 

This is by far the best F1 game Codemasters have made! They really have nailed the feel of these turbo cars. I kept telling myself I wouldn't buy it as I thought it was made just for contractual reasons, but I was wrong and I'm sorry. o:)

I think they've improved the AI a lot, as they now fight for position more, I've already had some great long battles. I love the fact you can spin in 4th gear as its what the drivers have been saying this season. The fact this was made on last gen tech is even more impressive. The ai seem to be smarter than a lot of these "next gen" racing games. Yes it's not got awesome graphics, but it's not an ugly game either on PC.

FFB still isn't great, but it does feel better using my T500rs compared to my TX wheel (which Codies still haven't added support for)

Hughesy said:
This is by far the best F1 game Codemasters have made! They really have nailed the feel of these turbo cars. I kept telling myself I wouldn't buy it as I thought it was made just for contractual reasons, but I was wrong and I'm sorry. o:)
Same here I thought that to but I have to asy this is definitely on a par with 2010 and 12 I think for enjoyment if they can keep this level of AI on the new next gen game on the bottom levels that would be good. I think in terms of the bottom levels with Amateur and all that the game is definitely back where it needs to be. Just need to make some changes to career mode to make it fresh and interesting again and CM will be on a roll

Whats funny is every year a CM F1 game comes out, the forums fill with praise and hatred and its hard to determine if either or both is warranted.  There is no way to tell what system and controller the user is playing on/with unless they say it in their post.  I think it would be helpful if all users had their system info displayed so we could determine if the problems are with a certain console or controller.

Eg. Some are saying more wheelspin than last year, and some compare this game to Mario Cart.  Both might be right!  More spin with a wheel, and on rails with pad?  Confusing...

OGFedfan said:

Whats funny is every year a CM F1 game comes out, the forums fill with praise and hatred and its hard to determine if either or both is warranted.  There is no way to tell what system and controller the user is playing on/with unless they say it in their post.  I think it would be helpful if all users had their system info displayed so we could determine if the problems are with a certain console or controller.

Eg. Some are saying more wheelspin than last year, and some compare this game to Mario Cart.  Both might be right!  More spin with a wheel, and on rails with pad?  Confusing...

I agree I'm on PC as is Hughesy  but I agree sometimes you can get mixed messages which make it hard to figure out what to do for the best.

No assists is easier this year than on 2013, but the physics are improved. The front feels a lot heavier and the rear does kick. There is definitely more wheelspin but it feels somewhat easier to control.
The AI are a lot better, racier than before. If you play like it's real then they are actually very very good. But the minute you drive like a clown they will back off (wouldn't you if there was one on the motorway for example?).

The only thing about the game that I perhaps feel could have been done better is the gap between tier 2 and tier 3 teams. It's too big. Either that or they need to give Toro Rosso a seperate tier in between 2 and 3 as they seem to be a lot slower than they perhaps actually are, particularly in qualifying.

Spinks05 said:
I thought I'd leave a quick review of my opinion having played every F1 codemasters game. Have to say I'm quite happy with F1 2014 considering people suggesting it is a 'copy & paste'.

First of all the Handling is by far the best I've every played and probably the biggest change from the previous installments. I've have found myself struggling on corners I've previously perfected and vise versa with corners I have had trouble with, but overall it seems much more responsive and feels like you have more control through the slow corners. I have also found that it is much easier to drive in Lean mix than in Fast, I spin the rear tyres up very easily while in Fast fuel mix and is quite changeling to find a balance between pace and grip. 

AI are a lot more aggressive and actually battle and force you into tight spaces which is pretty cool, they differ in strategy too with regards to tyres which makes for more interesting races and again would have say the best AI codemasters have produced for an F1 game. Difficulty seems balanced, I am currently playing on Expert in a McLaren and seem to finish around 4th to 10th depending on the track and sector times match the AI around me. 

Race starts are okay, to make up 2+ places you need to make sure you are in the right place, otherwise it is a gamble and you don't know where you stand till around turn 3 or 4.

Graphically there is slight improvements but the casually player probably wouldn't see the difference but we can put that down to the PS3 reaching it's limits but still the details of cars and tracks are still damn good.

There are still snags I thought would of been removed by now though. One being that when you retire or fast forward from a qualifying or practice session none of the AI seem to improve and by fast-forwarding they are actually much slower, sometimes 2-3 seconds. Pit stops are around a second slower than in real life, my pit-crew average around  3.2 to 3.8 seconds for a stop but that's not exactly a game buster. Visuals around the hud are pretty much the same a slight difference in colour and font but lay out is as it was. A few others include what most people seem to to say, steering wheels, decals of the car all of which I would expect to be solved in F1 2015 when it comes to PS4 & X-Box one.

My overall view is that obviously codemasters have spent a bit of time on this game and is the most enjoyable out the series, I am yet to race online so that could change. I am very much looking forward to seeing what codemasters can do on next gen platforms I believe it will be a much different game to any other we have sene before.
Missing a few features but overall i think CM have done a great job, watching back replays you can see a massive leap foward on the physics. Great job codemasters here's looking foward to the next gen.

I've played all the F1 games since the release of 2010 on the PC. I've been playing this release for a couple of hours today and I'm impressed with the step forward in the AI. The car handling, tyre slip etc. has definitely been worked on to mirror what we have been seeing in the 2014 F1 season. Having said this with each evolution of CM F1 games we lose immersion which I missed with each passing year. I'm not convinced that the driver evaluation over one lap is definitely not a step forward from the young drivers test from 2013. We lost the full 3 practice sessions in 2012 version. prior to that we had post race interviews etc. Over all I think this is a step forward from a racing perspective but definitely another step back in immersion. We could use a podium experience or formation lap just to bring back some of what has been lost.

Having said all of this I believe this is a step forward for the series.

Boose2k said:
I've played all the F1 games since the release of 2010 on the PC. I've been playing this release for a couple of hours today and I'm impressed with the step forward in the AI. The car handling, tyre slip etc. has definitely been worked on to mirror what we have been seeing in the 2014 F1 season. Having said this with each evolution of CM F1 games we lose immersion which I missed with each passing year. I'm not convinced that the driver evaluation over one lap is definitely not a step forward from the young drivers test from 2013. We lost the full 3 practice sessions in 2012 version. prior to that we had post race interviews etc. Over all I think this is a step forward from a racing perspective but definitely another step back in immersion. We could use a podium experience or formation lap just to bring back some of what has been lost.

Having said all of this I believe this is a step forward for the series.

so if I'd ask you ... is it worth buying....this is a definite yes??