Sign in to follow this  

A Step Forward

I thought I'd leave a quick review of my opinion having played every F1 codemasters game. Have to say I'm quite happy with F1 2014 considering people suggesting it is a 'copy & paste'.

First of all the Handling is by far the best I've every played and probably the biggest change from the previous installments. I've have found myself struggling on corners I've previously perfected and vise versa with corners I have had trouble with, but overall it seems much more responsive and feels like you have more control through the slow corners. I have also found that it is much easier to drive in Lean mix than in Fast, I spin the rear tyres up very easily while in Fast fuel mix and is quite changeling to find a balance between pace and grip. 

AI are a lot more aggressive and actually battle and force you into tight spaces which is pretty cool, they differ in strategy too with regards to tyres which makes for more interesting races and again would have say the best AI codemasters have produced for an F1 game. Difficulty seems balanced, I am currently playing on Expert in a McLaren and seem to finish around 4th to 10th depending on the track and sector times match the AI around me. 

Race starts are okay, to make up 2+ places you need to make sure you are in the right place, otherwise it is a gamble and you don't know where you stand till around turn 3 or 4.

Graphically there is slight improvements but the casually player probably wouldn't see the difference but we can put that down to the PS3 reaching it's limits but still the details of cars and tracks are still damn good.

There are still snags I thought would of been removed by now though. One being that when you retire or fast forward from a qualifying or practice session none of the AI seem to improve and by fast-forwarding they are actually much slower, sometimes 2-3 seconds. Pit stops are around a second slower than in real life, my pit-crew average around  3.2 to 3.8 seconds for a stop but that's not exactly a game buster. Visuals around the hud are pretty much the same a slight difference in colour and font but lay out is as it was. A few others include what most people seem to to say, steering wheels, decals of the car all of which I would expect to be solved in F1 2015 when it comes to PS4 & X-Box one.

My overall view is that obviously codemasters have spent a bit of time on this game and is the most enjoyable out the series, I am yet to race online so that could change. I am very much looking forward to seeing what codemasters can do on next gen platforms I believe it will be a much different game to any other we have sene before.

Spinks05 said:
I thought I'd leave a quick review of my opinion having played every F1 codemasters game. Have to say I'm quite happy with F1 2014 considering people suggesting it is a 'copy & paste'.

First of all the Handling is by far the best I've every played and probably the biggest change from the previous installments. I've have found myself struggling on corners I've previously perfected and vise versa with corners I have had trouble with, but overall it seems much more responsive and feels like you have more control through the slow corners. I have also found that it is much easier to drive in Lean mix than in Fast, I spin the rear tyres up very easily while in Fast fuel mix and is quite changeling to find a balance between pace and grip. 

AI are a lot more aggressive and actually battle and force you into tight spaces which is pretty cool, they differ in strategy too with regards to tyres which makes for more interesting races and again would have say the best AI codemasters have produced for an F1 game. Difficulty seems balanced, I am currently playing on Expert in a McLaren and seem to finish around 4th to 10th depending on the track and sector times match the AI around me. 

Race starts are okay, to make up 2+ places you need to make sure you are in the right place, otherwise it is a gamble and you don't know where you stand till around turn 3 or 4.

Graphically there is slight improvements but the casually player probably wouldn't see the difference but we can put that down to the PS3 reaching it's limits but still the details of cars and tracks are still damn good.

There are still snags I thought would of been removed by now though. One being that when you retire or fast forward from a qualifying or practice session none of the AI seem to improve and by fast-forwarding they are actually much slower, sometimes 2-3 seconds. Pit stops are around a second slower than in real life, my pit-crew average around  3.2 to 3.8 seconds for a stop but that's not exactly a game buster. Visuals around the hud are pretty much the same a slight difference in colour and font but lay out is as it was. A few others include what most people seem to to say, steering wheels, decals of the car all of which I would expect to be solved in F1 2015 when it comes to PS4 & X-Box one.

My overall view is that obviously codemasters have spent a bit of time on this game and is the most enjoyable out the series, I am yet to race online so that could change. I am very much looking forward to seeing what codemasters can do on next gen platforms I believe it will be a much different game to any other we have sene before.
Thanks for your thoughts mate, BTW are you playing with a wheel or pad? I ask because many people are saying the physics are very stagnant and the cars don't break away or slide out of corners ( but i'm sure it's cos they are on the pad) Are you using a wheel?

Thanks for your thoughts mate, BTW are you playing with a wheel or pad? I ask because many people are saying the physics are very stagnant and the cars don't break away or slide out of corners ( but i'm sure it's cos they are on the pad) Are you using a wheel?
I've used both so far I'm about a second quicker on pad, I find there's not much difference. If you play without traction control you'll slide just as much on either.

Spinks05 said:

are you a codemasters employee ??? !!!!! your review seems to differ greatly to other posts/reviews...........sorry i wont be buying , first time in 4 years i havnt brought the game on release.

blew1967 said:
Spinks05 said:

are you a codemasters employee ??? !!!!! your review seems to differ greatly to other posts/reviews...........sorry i wont be buying , first time in 4 years i havnt brought the game on release.
This right here is exactly the sort of reason why review threads get closed. Someone posts a positive review because they're actually enjoying the game and they get this sort of post in response. Do you know why it differs from other peoples response? He has a differing opinion. Shocking I know.
Sorry but most users on this forum bring it upon themselves for why they don't get the answers they want.

blew1967 said:
Spinks05 said:

This right here is exactly the sort of reason why review threads get closed. Someone posts a positive review because they're actually enjoying the game and they get this sort of post in response. Do you know why it differs from other peoples response? He has a differing opinion. Shocking I know.
Sorry but most users on this forum bring it upon themselves for why they don't get the answers they want.
Hear Hear give that man a coconut!!!!! AGREE!!

sorry i disagree....countless trusted mags and websites give it a mediocre to poor review....the review thread gets closed ( shock horror ) then this guy comes on raving about how this game is a step forward ???  most to all the others state that this game has stood still, even gone backwards......definately not a step forward.

blew1967 said:
sorry i disagree....countless trusted mags and websites give it a mediocre to poor review....the review thread gets closed ( shock horror ) then this guy comes on raving about how this game is a step forward ???  most to all the others state that this game has stood still, even gone backwards......definately not a step forward.

By his review, I feel he is stating its a step forward in handling and racing (AI).  In my opinion, he is correct in his statements.  If you focus just on his title, or just on review scores without reading what is actually written, then this game may feel like a step backwards.  If more content is what your after, then yes, it is a step backwards as the classic stuff is out.  To me the main problems were the AI and handling.

Stop with the codemaster employee acusations though, everyone has opinions and they should be respected.  Even if they disagree with "countless trusted mags".

You do realise negative reviews are also opinions right? Not facts. The poster of that thread doesn't enjoy it, the poster above does. Differing opinions.
At the end of the day, only by playing it yourself will you know for sure if you like it or not. Reviews are arguably okay for forming a general feeling about the game (I say arguably as the band wagon syndrome tends to kick in at some point) but terrible at forming a proper opinion for yourself.

blew1967 said:
a step forward in handling and racing.......have you read the" too easy and souless" thread !!!
That was referring to playing on a pad. Go and watch TeamVVV on youtube!

Spinks05 said:

Nice to see some positivity here instead of reading thread after thread of people moaning so thanks. I'll be playing it in a few hours once it unlocks on Steam o:)

Hughesy said:
Spinks05 said:

Nice to see some positivity here instead of reading thread after thread of people moaning so thanks. I'll be playing it in a few hours once it unlocks on Steam o:)

and it will be nice to see your thoughts on the game once you ve played it.lets see how positive you are about f1 2014.

blew1967 said:
Spinks05 said:

You havent played the game yet you and many other people are not even going to try it.. Give the game a try before you start calling it crap!  

From what I can gather pad users and wheel users are having completely different experiences.  Codemasters is going to have to look into that one.

I actually like it I haven't played it too much been busy but what I have played it isn't too bad for a game
been playing it the past couple of hours and I've enjoyed it too. For me I'd say it's definitely better than 2013

happy with f1 2014 played a few short races and seems good but i thinks CM should speed up the pit stop so its more closer to real life like times. and the al cars dont seem to have any problems with tyre wear they real need a patch to set this right.
but the reviews f1 2014 got was not right at all they said the game was no good but the game is a lot better then what they said.

ausdavid said:
happy with f1 2014 played a few short races and seems good but i thinks CM should speed up the pit stop so its more closer to real life like times. and the al cars dont seem to have any problems with tyre wear they real need a patch to set this right.
but the reviews f1 2014 got was not right at all they said the game was no good but the game is a lot better then what they said.
that's why sometimes it's a good idea to make your own mind up by trying it for yourself . As I have had games over the years that haven't had great ratings but I have enjoyed them.

i'm absolutely appalled by this game, really. 
i mean where to start, 
the severe lack of innovation?  the poor audio? the outdated graphics? 
i mean you can hear the sheer laziness in the team radio, how hard is it to get some audio recorded for new team radio transmission?
the camera for the tv pod is worse
the skins have changed and the audio yes but is this worth full price? absolutely not. it's a dlc if anything and a poor one at that

yes yes the handling has changed but a patch could do that
codemasters has had years to develop the new engine and to give us this POS is an insult
it's a very poor product and it's just a plain and simple money grab. 

f1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, codemasters is mediocre at best for a games developer of the f1 series 

i have bought all codemasters games too up to 2013 seriously disappointed in this game. 

i'm absolutely appalled by this game, really. 
i mean where to start, 
the severe lack of innovation?  the poor audio? the outdated graphics? 
i mean you can hear the sheer laziness in the team radio, how hard is it to get some audio recorded for new team radio transmission?
the camera for the tv pod is worse
the skins have changed and the audio yes but is this worth full price? absolutely not. it's a dlc if anything and a poor one at that

yes yes the handling has changed but a patch could do that
codemasters has had years to develop the new engine and to give us this POS is an insult
it's a very poor product and it's just a plain and simple money grab. 

f1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, codemasters is mediocre at best for a games developer of the f1 series 

i have bought all codemasters games too up to 2013 seriously disappointed in this game.

F1 2015 will be using the new engine. This is still using Ego 3.

Honestly i think codies have put a bit more work into this game then people think the handling is far better, the cars are far from glued to the track, the A.I whilst still being pathetic at getting out of the way when needed and very slow on the first lap is improved in their racing ability, the graphics have been touched up and honestly im waiting to find a bug yet, this is the first f1 since probably 2010 that i actually enjoy sitting down and driving the cars is actually challenging and fun personally i think if they follow and build on this for 2015 then 2015 will be an absolutely epic game. btw dont trust "big magazines" they get paid to do it and half of em talk more crap out of their arse in 1 article then a normal people does in their whole life, the only way to judge a game is to play it urself specially racing games.