F1 2018 Setups, fix em

Will you guys ever fix the ridiculous unrealistic setups that are much faster? Like.. 2/10 wings, 11 ballast, minimum camber etc... I know you guys aren't simulating the car to the detail of rF2/AC but come on, these setups are a joke and they're actually faster than running a more realistic one.
  • Agree 2

It depends. They're not always faster on a race distance due to tire wear. Really depends on the guy driving and the track and actual race length though.

For time trial, they'll always be overpowered.
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

the whole setup options and every slider that the game has is the exact opposite of resembling a realistic way to set up a car. Even a slider combination of what you think resembles a realistic setup on a car really isn't. 
  • Agree 2

I find it almost impossible to drive with those silly setups that people are topping the TT leaderboards with. But yeah, it would be nice if the setups reflected reality.
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Since most F1 drivers at an actual race spend more time driving to develop the right setup (practice sessions) - than actually racing - this is a major weakness - goes back to a lack of telemetry in the game. Most members of an F1 team deal either directly or indirectly with telemetry. Hard to find someone on a team that doesn't. 

Edited by dwin20
  • Agree 2

Driving with the silly TT setups in career will most definitely destroy your tires in a 50% or longer race distances. But I agree, they are silly TT setups which I use as a base in TT and then adjust to my driving style. I don’t believe they represent actual setups in real life so yes it should be more realistic.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:26 PM, dwin20 said:

Since most F1 drivers at an actual race spend more time driving to develop the right setup (practice sessions) - than actually racing - this is a major weakness - goes back to a lack of telemetry in the game. Most members of an F1 team deal either directly or indirectly with telemetry. Hard to find someone on a team that doesn't. 

This is true but it's also important to remember that this is being developed to be a simcade racer, not a full on balls to the wall simulation. They need to walk a balance between realism and accessibility so of course they're not going to go into the insane levels of detail that are present in real world F1 weekends because that would be a huge outlay of resources for features that only a small percentage of players will ever use.

1 hour ago, PipsAhoy said:

This is true but it's also important to remember that this is being developed to be a simcade racer, not a full on balls to the wall simulation. They need to walk a balance between realism and accessibility so of course they're not going to go into the insane levels of detail that are present in real world F1 weekends because that would be a huge outlay of resources for features that only a small percentage of players will ever use.

There's no reason why the game can't pander to both types of racer. You can have 'insane levels of realism' under the hood accessible with telemetry at the same time as a multi assisted driving experience. Personally I'd prefer a 'simcade' title to have sim like accuracy as well as being easier to pick up and play rather than no depth whatsoever. I believe even causal players want a realistic experience. They don't want a game that needs an engineering degree to play but they probably want to believe that a dude (or dudette) with such a degree actually coded the game so it feels like the real thing.