Sign in to follow this  

gear shifting question

in  dirt rally 4 is it ok to use  manual h shift and clutch with cars that are sequential  ?  or will I be at a disadvantage if I do? I guess I find it hard going from one setup or another I just want to stick to one .

As far as I remember it was an advantage to use manual H pattern + clutch in DiRT Rally because sequentials are quite slow in shifting in the game. I think they're more even in DiRT 4 but I can't tell because I don't have a shifter, so it's always sequential paddles for me

carpa said:
As far as I remember it was an advantage to use manual H pattern + clutch in DiRT Rally because sequentials are quite slow in shifting in the game. I think they're more even in DiRT 4 but I can't tell because I don't have a shifter, so it's always sequential paddles for me
Indeed, some sequential cars shifts so slowly that it would be a huge disadvantage to shift with paddles. H-pattern is a lot quicker.

This has always baffled me. Sure, apply this slow shifting to cars with actual H-patterned gearboxes, to "punish" sequential shifting... but cars that comes equipped with sequential gearboxes should not suffer at all. But they do.

Compare this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ParmMRS8qp0

To this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anX4F6ldKT0

This "feature" just needs to eff off in future titles.

tommi making it look so easy B)

also notice how you make the car " move " for corners but watch the movement of tommi version.there is very little movement.then you could argue weather i suppose :p

dgeesi0 said:
tommi making it look so easy B)

also notice how you make the car " move " for corners but watch the movement of tommi version.there is very little movement.then you could argue weather i suppose :p
Dirt 4's tarmac physics are not exactly fantastic. They feel a bit better than in DR, but I guess that's due to the improved FFB. The cars still move completely wrong, and the handling feels floaty... unless you decide to powerslide in every corner.

I find it strange that they let you use h shift and clutch on sequential gear cars but they do,   I think its good because it takes time to master h shift and clutch , and to start just using paddles to shift gear feels wrong. I guess some one might be able to get master   both ways but I don't have the time rather just stick with one and drive .

I use whatever configuration that came with the car and call it a day.  It’s not always possible to be 100% accurate, but you won’t catch me paddle shifting with Fulvias and H-shifting on Fiestas.