Wing changes

Why can it not be possible to change a front wing regardless of the damage level? I am so sick of needing to intentionally damage the wing further to get a wing change. I just tried to do that right before pitting and they called me in to fix the damage on the NEXT lap making me do an extra stop. I should be able to just change the wing regardless of the damage level. Surely I can't be the only person who feels that way.
  • Agree 2

Hey!

As mentioned, in some instances (normally low damage) it's actually a manual task via the MFD (the pop up menu in the bottom right) to go into the "Repair Front Wing" option and change it to "yes". 

Hope this helps!

UP100 said:
Repair Front Wing: Yes
Guess what they do? They repair it.
My memory which may be old and unreliable seems to believe that auto and yes essentially do the same thing. (I'm trying to remember if F1 2016 is the last time I ever actually tried to set light wing damage to yes.)

Yes will change even for tiny amount of damage. 

I think Auto will only change for quite a bit of damage, where time is definitely being lost with damaged wing.
  • Disagree 2

It would be great to have an options ingame to define what auto means. Someone would like to change automatically at dark green and the next one at orange.
Or CM should implement a voice command for it.
To fiddle in the menu during driving isn't really comfortable.

The above is a great suggestion. Even just having the option in the pit crew menu to order a wing change would be great.

Stable attachment of a leading-edge vortex (LEV) plays a key role in generating the high lift on rotating wings with a central body. The central body size can affect the LEV structure broadly in two ways UPSers

Edited by Cloutier

On 2/21/2018 at 7:20 AM, UP100 said:

Repair Front Wing: Yes
Guess what they do? They repair it.

No, they don’t. Not when light green (low) damage and possibly even yellow.

Like OP says, the only way to make sure they change it is to damage it more. Even when set to “Y” on wing repair on MFD.

This is crazy... “auto” should mean change if heavy damage and “Y” should mean Yes, always change!

• Agree 1

Just now, kalamazoo123 said:

Like OP says, the only way to make sure they change it is to damage it more. Even when set to “Y” on wing repair on MFD.

This is crazy... “auto” should mean change if heavy damage and “Y” should mean Yes, always change!

I was so advanced that I owned F1 2019 in 2/21/2018.

• Disagree 1

HI everyone,

Regarding the wings, @UP100 is right with the change on your MFD in race if you want to control it manually.

If left on 'Auto', the game will decide whether the time sacrificed changing the wing in the pits is worth the time lost out on track per lap. We understand that in some cases even the slightest loss of downforce can drastically affect performance (tracks like Monaco, Singapore, General Wet Conditions) and therefore we added a manual override in the MFD for the player.

I've just tested this running simulation damage at Monaco. I got light green damage on my front wing (was never going to take me long) and was not recommended a change of strategy to stop. I manually requested to box and changed my 'Repair Wing Damage' on the MFD manually to 'Yes'. At the stop, wing was changed as requested.

I then got major damage on the next lap (again, easy for me to do normally), requested to box and manually changed 'Repair Wing Damage' to 'No' through the MFD. Wing was not changed as requested.

If you can provide evidence of this not happening in a video, please add it to this post and I can investigate further for you.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

14 hours ago, BarryBL said:

HI everyone,

Regarding the wings, @UP100 is right with the change on your MFD in race if you want to control it manually.

If left on 'Auto', the game will decide whether the time sacrificed changing the wing in the pits is worth the time lost out on track per lap. We understand that in some cases even the slightest loss of downforce can drastically affect performance (tracks like Monaco, Singapore, General Wet Conditions) and therefore we added a manual override in the MFD for the player.

I've just tested this running simulation damage at Monaco. I got light green damage on my front wing (was never going to take me long) and was not recommended a change of strategy to stop. I manually requested to box and changed my 'Repair Wing Damage' on the MFD manually to 'Yes'. At the stop, wing was changed as requested.

I then got major damage on the next lap (again, easy for me to do normally), requested to box and manually changed 'Repair Wing Damage' to 'No' through the MFD. Wing was not changed as requested.

If you can provide evidence of this not happening in a video, please add it to this post and I can investigate further for you.

NO
Your confirmation is wrong.

If the damage level is lower than yellow, it will not be repaired even if “Y” is selected in MFD.

I often play career mode, and it will always happen.

• Agree 1

Hi @saukisu,

I did check this on 'simulation' damage, but I can try again for you.

What are your damage settings and I'll try and re-create

Correct , on the normal FULL Damage , the very light green damaged Front Wing does NOT get changed even if Yes is selected.

There was a video by Limitless also about a Month ago regarding this.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, saukisu said:

hi @BarryBL

I took a sample video.
As you can see, it will not be repaired.

Setting is FP session in carrier mode.

https://youtu.be/S5MEOSrP0oA

Oh your issue is different from what probably anyone thought it would be. Surely that's a bug.

Also completely off the topic, but at least F1 2019 still has Japanese localization. GRID 2019 lacks it even though you can modify the game to use those sound files

Edited by UP100

On 12/5/2019 at 9:51 AM, kalamazoo123 said:

Knowing the devs and their history with bugs it would not surprise me at all if it works as intended with some versions of the game (I think it was F1 2017 when I posted this.) and not with others. (I've definitely had issues changing wings in F1 2019 even with repair damage set to yes.) 

What camera setting are you using there. My wheels much further up the screen which when using a wheel is odd I like this angle.

Im on 18 but Im assuming theres not much difference in camera settings.