Sign in to follow this  

WRC events abroad

So I really want to try and go to a round in another country this year. I was thinking of either Italy, Finland or Portugal. Has anyone been to any of these before or are planning on going this year that has any advice on going to them?

I'm trying to choose between Spa 24 Hours and Rally Finland this year too.

Portugal is quite easy to do cheaply, although there's not much freedom on stages so get there very early.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the dusty gravel rounds, but that's just me - Spain is a nice mix of both and really cheap to do though (off season in a holiday destination).

Sweden is amazing - usually flights to Oslo are very cheap and if you can find or share accomodation (although I slept in the car a couple of times there).

Trying to work out if I can do Corsica this year, with a flight to Pisa and a ferry to Bastia, but probably unlikely.

By the way, aside from Sweden, my favourite 'on the continent' rallies I've been to are Ypres, Valais and Barum. You don't get the WRC cars, obviously, but they've each got a real 'event feel' to them, especially Ypres.

I'm trying to choose between Spa 24 Hours and Rally Finland this year too.

Portugal is quite easy to do cheaply, although there's not much freedom on stages so get there very early.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the dusty gravel rounds, but that's just me - Spain is a nice mix of both and really cheap to do though (off season in a holiday destination).

Sweden is amazing - usually flights to Oslo are very cheap and if you can find or share accomodation (although I slept in the car a couple of times there).

Trying to work out if I can do Corsica this year, with a flight to Pisa and a ferry to Bastia, but probably unlikely.

By the way, aside from Sweden, my favourite 'on the continent' rallies I've been to are Ypres, Valais and Barum. You don't get the WRC cars, obviously, but they've each got a real 'event feel' to them, especially Ypres.
Thanks! Finland is probably top of my list. I spoke to someone on GB last year who said it was very easy to do multiple stages per day. I’ll definitely do GB this year, but that may be as a competitor rather than spectator this year! I’ll have to do some proper research into it, and also try and convince people to come with me!

A few advice if you go to Finland :

-If you rent/drive a car, be very careful of the speed limits (even for a few km/h) or otherwise you will quickly end up in a jail. Don't ask me how i know that ...

-Try to avoid the parking areas (where you have to pay 10 to 30 euro even if you have the rally pass) and park a few hundred meters before them.

-Finnish beers are meh

Otherwise enjoy you time there, there are a crazy spots every 200 meters and the vikings are quite friendly.
A great event, Probably my favorite in wrc after Poland.

And if you have the opportunity one day, go to belgium to see Ypres or the Condroz rally. It's something really incredible to see at least once.

I have never been at a WRC rally as a spectator, even though it's pretty high on my to-do list... but I have been to Sardinia and I can tell you that you'll hardly find a better scenery in the WRC calendar, if you like the sea, boats, sand beaches and warm climate ;)
I've never been to Finland but it must be a very thrilling rally to watch, even though I think due to the nature of the stage you'll most likely be in a place where the car fly past at high speed and disappear really fast

Very interested to see what sort of feedback you get in this thread @RallyDriven. I have wanted to do Finland WRC for a number of years and have always had a tour company in mind for my first trip out there. 

I used a tour company for my first trip to Le Mans years ago and I found it a great introduction to the event going with someone who could point out the best things to check out (plus it took a lot of the stress out of the trip having all the travel arrangements made for me). 

NB: Just to throw another idea in the mix for you: have you thought about RallyLegend (in San Marino) at all? 

tbtstt said:
Very interested to see what sort of feedback you get in this thread @RallyDriven. I have wanted to do Finland WRC for a number of years and have always had a tour company in mind for my first trip out there. 

I used a tour company for my first trip to Le Mans years ago and I found it a great introduction to the event going with someone who could point out the best things to check out (plus it took a lot of the stress out of the trip having all the travel arrangements made for me). 

NB: Just to throw another idea in the mix for you: have you thought about RallyLegend (in San Marino) at all? 
I had a quick look at tour companies, they looked good but were maybe a little expensive, depending on how many people go. Rally legend looks pretty good, but if I’m only doing one event, I think I’d rather do Finland

Accro2008 said:

-If you rent/drive a car, be very careful of the speed limits (even for a few km/h) or otherwise you will quickly end up in a jail. Don't ask me how i know that ...

-Try to avoid the parking areas (where you have to pay 10 to 30 euro even if you have the rally pass) and park a few hundred meters before them.

-Finnish beers are meh

Otherwise enjoy you time there, there are a crazy spots every 200 meters and the vikings are quite friendly.

And if you have the opportunity one day, go to belgium to see Ypres or the Condroz rally. It's something really incredible to see at least once.
Thanks, sounds good, shame about the beer though

tbtstt said:

I had a quick look at tour companies, they looked good but were maybe a little expensive, depending on how many people go. Rally legend looks pretty good, but if I’m only doing one event, I think I’d rather do Finland
I think its a little bit more expensive with the travel companies but, like I said in my previous post, I think it is worth a bit more for the hassle it takes out of it. 

I did RallyLegend last year and it was incredible, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you can get to it! I did it with a tour company and got to see a lot more with them then I ever would have doing it solo: I'd have spent most of the weekend in the car trying to find the stages! :smiley:

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:

I think its a little bit more expensive with the travel companies but, like I said in my previous post, I think it is worth a bit more for the hassle it takes out of it. 

I did RallyLegend last year and it was incredible, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you can get to it! I did it with a tour company and got to see a lot more with them then I ever would have doing it solo: I'd have spent most of the weekend in the car trying to find the stages! :smiley:
Yeah, that is the difficulty with rallying abroad, trying to find things in a foreign country! I’ll have to see what happens. The main trouble with Finland is its in harvest time, which isn’t good if you live on a farm!

Accro2008 said:

-Finnish beers are meh

Thanks, sounds good, shame about the beer though

This is NOT an issue in Ypres.........

I'm making plans either going to Portugal or Spain. Both can be really cheap - off season and accommodation is pretty cheap in Aribnb. I haven't been on tarmac event, so I'm more biased to Spain. 
Finland is a great event -  fans are nice, security staff are one of the best I've seen. Some spectator places could be quite remote - I walked atleast 5km to some spots. Popular spots are over crowded - if you want good place on yellow house jump, better be there at least 5h before the start. You can save money by camping near stages, that's quite common. 
I was planing Sardinia, but I was late to book a place and I haven't seen cheep airplane tickets. All thou there should be really good views in mountains.

Agree on Rally Finland being very good for a first timer, the whole organisation is great and its no surprise why its been called best rally for spectators in recent years.

Myself am currently in planning of going to Rally Turkey, I have a childhood friend there in Marmaris and he should be able to arrange accomodation for me and best friend of mine, who also knows him from childhood. It would make a great trip to go see his home and also see a unique rally come back on the calendar :smile: He also has atleast 1 local friend who is also eager to go see the rally aswell, so we should have a nice group with local knowledge to go find the best spots aswell  ;)