Sign in to follow this  

F1 2018 Is the Halo obstructing vision, or not?!

https://youtu.be/mdH_-KKP7JE

Having clear and good visibility seems to be a non issue in cockpit mode imho, the view isn't getting as obstructed as some make it out to be as you can still get all the visual information of your imminent surroundings without any trouble with a little flick of the right stick on your pad.

Also a few teams are running their logos on the Halo itself, so cutting it out of the game or rather making it "iinvisible" seems to be a more bothersome procedure for Codemasters than some hoped for.

"Tobi" and "VR" are essential to further improve the experience, but even in "2d" the view is pretty much alright.

Overall, there isn't much to complain about in all honesty, other than the fact that some have got different opinions on it the Halo is decent and gets its job done the way its intended to.

#EmbraceTheHalo

;)
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

Well I only drive in cockpit mode and if the Halo cannot be removed or hidden from the view then I simply will not buy the game and I'll stick to F1 2017.
  • Haha 1

Everyone has their preference. I hated the Halo at first but its starting to grow on me a little bit (even though it is ugly). I would still play F1 2018 if the Halo was included.

In real life, definitely growing in me. Some cool looks and designs. For a game .... hell no. Completely obstructive for the gamer.
  • Haha 1

Another thing I thought about is the teams design their cars to be fast and competitive. So if there is something different on the car to help the team win they should be able to do it. What I'm trying to say is that they don't need to please us first with looks. Just make the cars competitive and keep the racing good.
  • Agree 1

@DiRTKiNG808

"What I'm trying to say is that they don't need to please us first with looks. Just make the cars competitive and keep the racing good."

Exactly.

If we did otherwise, there wouldn't have been any evolution in F1 at all and we'd still be stuck in the past as back in the days the headrest / bodywork / HANS system etc. looked absolutely ugly and a vocal majority was against those changes as well, yet people got accustomed to it as it was further improved over the years and actually did its job perfectly fine, which the HALO very likely is going to as well.

Most of the furious critics of the past silenced as even the most diehard ones out there couldn't keep talking "trash" due to the several different unique safety and performance devices working flawlessly, debunking their fears and sorrows with real life data.

• Agree 1

it doesnt in real life because of how your eyes work. In the game its going to force players to use a more correct, low driving view position to get below the top bar. No more sitting super high up in the car. Also players using a super large FOV setting and position trying to keep from having the turn your head to look at the mirrors will have to use a much more realistic lower FOV setting.  Now, code masters providing us the adjustments to get a correct sight picture  is another matter. In 2017 some cars like the force india, the seat adjustment wouldnt go down as far as whats needed. So thats what im really worried about. Not really the halo, but codies providing us with enough adjustment ranges in each car to be where we need to be in the car. The top bar should be just slightly visible at the top edge of the tv screen.
  • Like 1

I also drive in cockpitview with very low fov (ultrawidescreen) and the halo have to have a invisible mode, and it would be nice to have the invisible mode also for the front antennas, coz they getting big with low fov... ;)

Everyone who currently use the cockpit mode, will be forced to sit a lot lower into the driving position, in order to achieve an un-restrictive view from the car, because of the halo. Also the over all view from the car itself,  will be more restricted, because you'r driving in such a low position in a computer game, which doesn't produce same awareness, as experience by real drivers, who sits quite low in the cockpit.  

Everyone who currently use the cockpit mode, will be forced to sit a lot lower into the driving position, in order to achieve an un-restrictive view from the car, because of the halo. Also the over all view from the car itself,  will be more restricted, because you'r driving in such a low position in a computer game, which doesn't produce same awareness, as experience by real drivers, who sits quite low in the cockpit.  
you are suppose to be sitting as low as possible in cockpit view. If anything it will force players to use the correct position. We just need codemasters to give use the adjustment range to get as low as we should be.

• Agree 1

I also drive in cockpitview with very low fov (ultrawidescreen) and the halo have to have a invisible mode, and it would be nice to have the invisible mode also for the front antennas, coz they getting big with low fov... ;)

I know, I haven't seen whats in front of me since they added FOV adjustments. 

ffigueir said:
Well I only drive in cockpit mode and if the Halo cannot be removed or hidden from the view then I simply will not buy the game and I'll stick to F1 2017.
Same, since I only play career mode anyway, if the halo cannot be removed in F1 2018 I just won't buy it. 
  • Haha 1

The way vision and focus works in real life means that the Halo should hardly be visible at all. If you put a finger up in front of your face and focus on something past it then your finger becomes almost invisible. Your brain combines the image from both eyes and therefore, nothing is completely blocked by your finger. This will be the case for the drivers this season and should be replicated in the new game. Then again, lots of things SHOULD have been done or not done by CM so I fully expect to see it represented exactly how it is in the helmet cam video in the OP. It will take a monumental effort by CM to entice me to buy the game this year after having purchased every single one on release day. A poorly represented HALO will make the decision easy.
  • Agree 1

Vileplume said:
I reckon they'll put an option in to make it see-through like its ghosted.
I think they'll either do this or change T-Cam view to a more acceptable view. We may also see an increase in the amount of cockpit camera users.
the halo doesn't or wouldnt effect the driving in tcam. The tcam would be above it and you would be looking down on it.
  • Agree 1

There are no logos on the inside of the halo (the part that the driver sees), so logically there shouldn't be a problem to make it invisible in cockpit view.

having used a mod where the halo is on, I can tell u even with a static camera and no VR you end up hardly noticing it. I completely forgot the halo was there round most tracks. The only time I struggled was at china the last turn and Aus T1 cause I use shadows for those corners and I was finding it hard to spot the braking points. Otherwise I've found no issue with using it at all. As long as your in the zone concentrating you barely notice it's there
  • Agree 1

Haha, I'm always in the zone! But another thing I thought of is the size of your tv. If it's a bit smaller I think you will notice it more.
  • Agree 1

peyt0n89 said:
There are no logos on the inside of the halo (the part that the driver sees), so logically there shouldn't be a problem to make it invisible in cockpit view.
the FIA not letting or wanting them to do it is a reason for it not to be invisible in the game. The halos are on the cars for this year. Its just the way it is. 

Haha, I'm always in the zone! But another thing I thought of is the size of your tv. If it's a bit smaller I think you will notice it more.
things on a tv screen is sized in proportion no matter what size the tv screen is. Its not like the halo changes size without the track and everything else shown on the screen changing size or proportion also to match.

• Agree 1

kevinkirk said:
things on a tv screen is sized in proportion no matter what size the tv screen is. Its not like the halo changes size without the track and everything else shown on the screen changing size or proportion also to match.

What I mean is, if you have a smaller screen it might seem more obvious. Just like how it's harder to make out a photo if it's small in size.
  • Agree 1

kevinkirk said:

What I mean is, if you have a smaller screen it might seem more obvious. Just like how it's harder to make out a photo if it's small in size.
the players themselves are who screws up their own vision. Super wide FOV settings most of the players seem to try and use makes them driving into a corner similar to running a thread thur a needle whole anyway. The major way the halo is going to help the game is it is going to force players to a more reasonable, closer to realistic FOV setting and seat position. Thats going to mean better driving side by side because you wont be racing someone driving while looking thur a fish-eyed lens on a doors peep whole and them judging the space around their car wont be like them trying to judge how close a tree is while traveling at warp speed in the forests of Endor in the star wars movies.
  • Agree 1

kevinkirk said:
kevinkirk said:

the players themselves are who screws up their own vision. Super wide FOV settings most of the players seem to try and use makes them driving into a corner similar to running a thread thur a needle whole anyway. The major way the halo is going to help the game is it is going to force players to a more reasonable, closer to realistic FOV setting and seat position. Thats going to mean better driving side by side because you wont be racing someone driving while looking thur a fish-eyed lens on a doors peep whole and them judging the space around their car wont be like them trying to judge how close a tree is while traveling at warp speed in the forests of Endor in the star wars movies.
Most people are absolutely incapable of proper racing, it has nothing to do with camera view. Not to mention most people use T-Cam anyway, which gives you a good view regardless of settings.
  • Agree 1

@DiRTKiNG808 @kevinkirk @lolschrauber

["What I mean is, if you have a smaller screen it might seem more obvious. Just like how it's harder to make out a photo if it's small in size."]

["the players themselves are who screws up their own vision. Super wide FOV settings most of the players seem to try and use makes them driving into a corner similar to running a thread thur a needle whole anyway."]

["Most people are absolutely incapable of proper racing, it has nothing to do with camera view. Not to mention most people use T-Cam anyway, which gives you a good view regardless of settings."]

There are only two words to describe this portion of demographics of people who either mess up their cam settings or are inherently incapable of proper racing:

Filthy Casuals.

;)

• Haha 1

martbloke said:
In real life, definitely growing in me. Some cool looks and designs. For a game .... hell no. Completely obstructive for the gamer.
There is definitly something growing, but it ain't a halo...
  • Haha 1