Sign in to follow this  

VR support in F1 2018?

Full triple screen support pls, its one of the main think for racing, except VR

just played Assetto corsa whit a great F1 2018 mod that you can play whit the halo or not and add all the current liveries at Monaco whit VR ! I'm happy !! 

I don't bother with sims, racing or flight which don't support VR. I would really love an F1 sim which supported VR however it doesn't look like codemasters are going to support it yet and, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the only game developer licenced to produce an F1 sim, therefore no full F1 in VR. I'm not a hardcore racer but VR gives me the sensation of actually being in the car which a flat screen doesn't. My first F1 sim was Grand Prix by Geoff Crammond and  I thought it was awesome with all the subsequent ones even better. Now I've moved on to VR so I hope Codemasters give the option of VR at some stage.

Too lazy to implement probably, and this utter bs saying it's too complicated either proves the laziness or an unskilled workforce. VR is the way forward and especially with driving games. Believe me when i say, if you play a driving game, like AC or PCARS 1 & 2, you will never want to play a flat screen driving game again ! Much smaller studios have successfully got VR driving done, so why not Codies? Again, i doubt we will hear an answer because, as usual, they usually don't listen. F1 2018 with  a very few minor changes is just another copy & paste affair. Suffice to say, for the last few iterations, i have never bothered to buy, just download it. I would also mention after downloading, i would have bought if they had impressed. And yes, every F1 game online can be played with an "unofficial" version. Just SEARCH ! So don't support milkers. F1 VR is fabulous with the other games that support them and there's a few. Search for them, i won't drag their name into tihs forum, they don't deserve it, they've doe a fab job on F1 VR. Some may already know of whom i speak ;) I can mention though, even if i isn't full blown game mode, even THE f1 cars in GT Sport on the ps4 vr is good fun.

mantazzo said:
bporion said:
how is it that a Assetto has VR and its 4 years old ? what about Raceroom just got VR and it 5 years old ? I'm sure they can put it in F1 2018 if they want to . 
Welcome to the game development - every game uses different "base" code, so it's nothing like "oh but it's in older game".
ACorsa IIRC was based off gMotor game engine originally (engine of rFactor), currently - probably some custom made game engine, not sure; Raceroom is also based off gMotor game engine if I'm correct... The only racing games I know which have VR but are not based on gMotor are PCars series. Codemasters F1 games use their own gam engine, also known as EGO game engine - since 2015 the game uses an updated version of that game engine, which is being constantly improved still.
Every game engine works differently with the resources they get - for example, rFactor (2) or Assetto Corsa don't require a good GPU since they're mostly CPU-bound, they don't have THAT many details to show on the screen at once, so they can have VR since they're not really giving Graphics card a lot of work. F1 2015-2016-2017, meanwhile, are both CPU and GPU dependent - CPU for all calculations, and GPU for showing a lot of details for that immersion - and I'm talking A LOT of details, even small ones (moving people in pits, moving crowd, flags, moving trees, pitboards, various 3D models, plus high-quality textures and stuff).
Graphics card gets a lot of work with Codemasters F1 games (hence the graphical bugs on console versions, for example), and most of the time graphics card is fully used (easy to check on PC). For example, on highest graphics possible even Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti gives *only* 160 FPS on average on 1080p. That's pretty decent result, but could be better. Now, take VR - resolution is just a bit higher, BUT the video has to be drawn twice. And you need 90 FPS for it to look good. I highly doubt even 1080Ti would pull this off currently on Ultra. And let's not forget that not everyone has the best GPUs available (1080-1080Ti).

tl;dr - It would take too many resources from PC/console to try and do VR.
BUT, if you have a decent PC (Geforce GTX 1080 at least), I think it's possible to try something like this, maybe it could work: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/VR-HMD-goggles-setup-----google-cardboard,-colorcross,-opendive

Have you actually been a part of VR testing or speaking through your back passage ?? There are an incredible amount of games playing at 30fps-60 fps that look absolutley fine. Depends on the game aswell, you don't "need" 90fps for VR.  I am using a 1080 ti, yes, but my last card a few down on this one still played VR, just. "For example, on highest graphics possible even Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti gives *only* 160 FPS on average on 1080p."
You're test system must be fubar, because i got over 210 fps and GPU usage was 67%-85% tops. If you can't speak about VR using proper facts and instead reading some techno geek report and taking it as gospel, just don't.

Comes to forum, apparently admits downloading pirated games, promotes taking cracked games online. GG. 

I guess if we all stop paying for things everyone can get a 1080TI.

@Francisnf No, it hasn't been confirmed. I think if VR would be supported than Lee would've talked about it yesterday. So I think VR players have to wait another year.

@Francisnf No, it hasn't been confirmed. I think if VR would be supported than Lee would've talked about it yesterday. So I think VR players have to wait another year.
Thanks for the reply. 

Oh dear, thats a shame. 

I watched that video too and didn't hear about it, so guessed that might be the case. 

Let's hope they add it to PC like dirt rally did. 

Enjoy the game, sadly I won't be buying it until vr is added. 

I'm a F1 codemasters constant buyer, have all titles but since i've experienced VR racing I just cant play without VR. 
It's a shame because o loved F1 2017 but a few months later i got a VR HMD and now i just cant play the game... 
So, just for the record, no VR no buy and this is from someone who buys all F1 games since 2010. 

Being and enthusiast of racing sims and VR I understand the allure of being totally immersed in the game. While racing VR still has a way to go to being included in many platforms I'll continue to enjoy my racing in any form I can get it. I look forward to the VR experience! 

Being and enthusiast of racing sims and VR I understand the allure of being totally immersed in the game. While racing VR still has a way to go to being included in many platforms I'll continue to enjoy my racing in any form I can get it. I look forward to the VR experience! 
Well, you won't find it here.

marosimark said:
Or two. Or three. Or until someone else gets the franchise.

I agree with @TigerFeetz. The introduction of the Halo makes a VR mode in F1 2018 a must have feature!
Codemasters wants to get players into the F1 world as much as possible, so with the Halo nowadays, they should support the VR community too in order to get that specific feel in the cars. I cannot imagin Codemasters has not paid attention to this, as they also were solving the Halo display issue on 2D screens. So I just hope they get this thing working in VR too with the 2018 release. Definately looking forward to it!

The graphics in F1 are getting pretty high-end these days, I would expect VR would need some compromises graphically, that's probably half of the issue implementing it. Not that it couldn't be done.

djeverest said:
Imagin going through Eau Rouge in VR mode.... that would be WOW!!!
I dunno. Since you can't feel the G-forces, racing in VR still seems kinda 'meh' to me.

djeverest said:
Imagin going through Eau Rouge in VR mode.... that would be WOW!!!
I dunno. Since you can't feel the G-forces, racing in VR still seems kinda 'meh' to me.

And that's a lot much better than a 2d screen, right? That's why you feel a lot better about the car, the track, the curves, the better visibility and the most sense.

The graphics in F1 are getting pretty high-end these days, I would expect VR would need some compromises graphically, that's probably half of the issue implementing it. Not that it couldn't be done.
Pcars2 has a lot more demanding graphics and has VR support. Myself I won't be buying another Codemasters F1 game until they add support.  I've been here since the beginning and bought it each year, but I have no interest in playing a racing sim without VR, as it doesn't give me the same buzz. 

I've seen people say the current spec engine doesn't have VR support like the last one, but that's a load of rubbish. Why would you downgrade an engine capabilities with a so called improved engine. It seems to me they just can't be bothered to support VR, each year its the most requested feature, each year its totally ignored. 

Hughesy said:
Pcars2 has a lot more demanding graphics and has VR support. Myself I won't be buying another Codemasters F1 game until they add support.  I've been here since the beginning and bought it each year, but I have no interest in playing a racing sim without VR, as it doesn't give me the same buzz. 

I've seen people say the current spec engine doesn't have VR support like the last one, but that's a load of rubbish. Why would you downgrade an engine capabilities with a so called improved engine. It seems to me they just can't be bothered to support VR, each year its the most requested feature, each year its totally ignored. 
Apart from the official F1 HUD, yeah? Lol ?

Since PS4/X1 doesn't support vr, PC gamers have to wait.
F1 Series are  console SIM, they don't concern about PC gamers when their games sell on steam are less than 200-300,000 copies.
How much percent of that number own a VR?

However they don't add VR support because they are lazy developers, almost every racing studio brought vr support for their games, LFS did that, Pcars, A. Corsa, Rfactor 2, Even R3E with that DX9 engine has vr.
Indie game like  Racecraft vr's Supp is coming also,

So don't listen to "thats pricey" or other nonsense , they  just dont want to implement VR supp, that's it.

Except its not, each year they do a survey and VR is the most requested feature and has been for 3 years. 
I can see why people don't come to this section of the forum, it's full of people that's sole purpose is to disrupt conversations. 

And they get a F1 license, which is a shame. And they have E sports competition without VR. What a shame!