Sign in to follow this  

What Car Do You Own?

Lukedfrt said:
At least you weren't involved in the writing off process, I can still remember clearly the day I crashed my Mini. I was 19 and totally convinced I was a) invulnerable and b) could drive like Schumacher. I was wrong on both counts, luckily I got away with only a couple of cracked ribs and some tiny glass cuts on one arm that didn't even scar. Needless to say my parents didn't offer me a replacement car, had to buy it myself, a second hand Mazda MX-5 in a darkish blue iirc. 
True that, always look on the bright side i say! :)  I'm 24 now and only learnt to drive this year.. i can't imagine being 18/19 and being behind the wheel, i'm fairly sure that i'd have a similar story to yours! 
Part of my issue was that I'd been racing Karts since I was 12 and when I was 16 and 17 I did 2 seasons of Australian Formula 4. So I genuinely thought that I could really drive, though being a girl I was not as overconfident as a most teenage boys I'd think. Lucky for me and my parents state of mind I gave it away soon after I started uni to focus on a career. Only went back to driving like a loon last year, these days I do amateur rallying but I'm thinking that my nerve is failing now I'm in my late 20s.

I had a Saxo originally (still going btw!). The driving position was ridiculous and if you weren't careful you'd hit all three pedals at once, but the way it handled was incredible and even though it only had 60 BHP (when new!) it was unbelievably fun to drive.

I wouldn't have it back though, my SEAT is too comfy (if too slow).

My first  car was a 98 Saxo, it was like driving a go-kart. I loved it, but at speed it was noisy. I went from that to a brand new Golf, I felt like I was in a van as I was sat so much higher up. The silence of the thing even though it was a diesel was insane.

76 Chevrolet Impala, hardtop in black, got it as a birthday gift when i turned 16 over 10 years ago, it had already 200k kilometers on its belt at that time and was the main car of my grandparents. 

76 Chevrolet Impala, hardtop in black, got it as a birthday gift when i turned 16 over 10 years ago, it had already 200k kilometers on its belt at that time and was the main car of my grandparents. 

The Impala is classic Americana, an icon imo. Cherish it :)

Hughesy said:
My first  car was a 98 Saxo, it was like driving a go-kart. I loved it, but at speed it was noisy.
My first car was a Peugeot 106 which is basically identical under the skin. Loved that car, completely gutless but so much fun to drive!

I just sold my rally modified 2004 Honda Civic, 11 accidents in its history (4 minor ones caused by me LOL), got a grand total of $500 for it haha. Sold it to a guy who barely looked 20 who obviously thought it was cool to buy a daggy car with a roll cage and no back seat.

McStanley said:
The guy who bought it will probably crash the car then.

McStanley
Well thats up to him :) I'm glad to be rid of it, feels 'real' now that the car is gone, was like the last thing to be done of the whole giving up racing thing I've been going through the last month. 

I currently do not own a car! I loved my Mini, but it was a bit too small for me (I'm 6'3") and with my job for next year being quite a drive away, I want to get something very economical. I test drove a 2016 VW Polo last weekend and loved it, so I'm on the hunt for one of those!

MBKF1 said:
I currently do not own a car! I loved my Mini, but it was a bit too small for me (I'm 6'3") and with my job for next year being quite a drive away, I want to get something very economical. I test drove a 2016 VW Polo last weekend and loved it, so I'm on the hunt for one of those!
Thats a great car, well worth the money. A friend of mine has owned a Polo for a few years, nothing ever goes wrong with it and its a beaut to drive.

MBKF1 said:
Are the Polos much better? I'm 6'1 and only just fit in my Ibiza which is Polo based, although it does have a more sloping roof.

I own Audi Q3. Great car for family transportation.

MBKF1 said:
Thats a great car, well worth the money. A friend of mine has owned a Polo for a few years, nothing ever goes wrong with it and its a beaut to drive.
Yep, that's one of the big reasons I want a Polo, I know it should be pretty reliable.

fIsince08 said:
MBKF1 said:
Are the Polos much better? I'm 6'1 and only just fit in my Ibiza which is Polo based, although it does have a more sloping roof.
I found it better than the Mini. It's easier to get in and out of, and there's actually space in the back so people with legs can actually sit in there!

McStanley said:
The guy who bought it will probably crash the car then.

McStanley
Well thats up to him :) I'm glad to be rid of it, feels 'real' now that the car is gone, was like the last thing to be done of the whole giving up racing thing I've been going through the last month. 

Well if you are glad to the car has gone, then it sounds to me that you did not really like the car, so if this kid-looking guy who has purchased the car from you does crash it, it sounds to me as if you don't care about the car, anymore.

McStanley

tbtstt said:
Not my picture, but my car parked up at Goodwood last weekend!

If this is your Scooby, which it does look like yours, why is does the image not belong to you?

I know I've said this in the past, but I do love the these cars and the as new example that you have. I would certain love to own one as a second car, but in as new condition as yours is.

I saw one today with large scratches and with dents in all different shapes and sizes, all over the car. Either it's been in a crash, or the owner just has not looked after it. Either way, it's not in a good enough condition for my liking or wanting and I wouldn't have purchased it. It was not for sale, but if it was, I wouldn't want it. Probably was a high miler.

It was Subaru Impreza WRX STi.

McStanley

McStanley said:
Are we talking about a Volkswagen Polo here, or a Nestle Polo?! :D

Sorry, I will get my coat...

McStanley

Jokes like that should result in a permanent ban.

Fortunately for you, I have to follow the rules.