Sign in to follow this  

Braking in 2014 is madness

First off, I'm a wheel user and use no driving aids.

Now with that out of the way..

How does a car that is heavier this season, and has less downforce, and paired with tires that are across the board harder than last year's tires handle sooooooooooooooo much better on turn entry and can stop on a dime with next to no lockups?

Can someone answer me that?

After about 8 hours behind the wheel of this release, my final verdict is that this year's game is a complete mess.

gorey said:

How does a car that is heavier this season, and has less downforce, and paired with tires that are across the board harder than last year's tires handle sooooooooooooooo much better on turn entry and can stop on a dime with next to no lockups?

After about 8 hours behind the wheel of this release, my final verdict is that this year's game is a complete mess.

The Problem is, most of us will never know how a real F1 car feels and handles. I dare say most of us dont have  the physics to even stand one lap in a real F1 car. Myself I wouldn't even get into the cockpitit cos i'm too fat...

No, the Point is, a car that is heavier needs less downforce to stay on track. ( It produces less upforce due to it's weight, at a given Speed.) Since '14 cars are a bit slower that means it is possible that the cars handle slightly better since they don't produce so much uplift. Considering the Turbos and ERS it just might be that the cars don't have the same power at certain moments. e.g Corner entry, and therefore it feels like they are more easy to handle. But this is just gibberish from someone who has no clue. I think either codies or a real race driver should answer that question.  Which leaves the question why i did respond to this post anyway...sorry

"No, the Point is, a car that is heavier needs less downforce to stay on track."

No.

gorey said:
"No, the Point is, a car that is heavier needs less downforce to stay on track."

No.

more details maybe? , from  a physical point of view maybe?  I don't wanna be a wisecrack, but i'm always eager to learn something new....

gorey said:

No.

A car that is heavier for example will reduce Speed more rapidly when off the throttle. So this means you are probably slower at Corner entry than you been before with 2013 cars. Therefore you might feel cars are a Little bit more "pointy".....eh?

In all previous games i have felt that the brakes are not strong enough, comparing say f1 2013 to the real 2013 cars you watch onboard, the real f1 cars brake so much later then the game, so i feel f1 2014 has the most realistic brakes, although a few more lock ups would be good

In all previous games i have felt that the brakes are not strong enough, comparing say f1 2013 to the real 2013 cars you watch onboard, the real f1 cars brake so much later then the game, so i feel f1 2014 has the most realistic brakes, although a few more lock ups would be good

I thought so too when I played 2013. But i realised that my breaking technique became so refined over the years that i don't lock up so much anymore anyway. In fact i don't lock up at all, cos after all These years of practicing 2010/11/12/13 i've finally learned when to release the brake before lockup. Except you do a Rosberg brake like in Sochi hehehe....

So what i mean is: not the game has become easier, but your driving technique has become better.

Murax said:
gorey said:

No.

A car that is heavier for example will reduce Speed more rapidly when off the throttle.....

Murax.

Inertia. Look it up. :)

gorey said:
Murax said:
gorey said:

No.

A car that is heavier for example will reduce Speed more rapidly when off the throttle.....

Murax.

I will, thank you,
but physics are bit more complicated i guess.... but i never been good at it anyway...
oh btw did you know that a boing 737-800 lifts off at only 290 km/h? (with full weight)

Murax said:
gorey said:
Murax said:
gorey said:

No.

Murax.

I will, thank you,
but physics are bit more complicated i guess.... but i never been good at it anyway...
oh btw did you know that a boing 737-800 lifts off at only 290 km/h? (with full weight)

Mass and inertia

Physics and mathematics appear to be less inclined to use the popular concept of inertia as "a tendency to maintain momentum" and instead favor the mathematically useful definition of inertia as the measure of a body's resistance to changes in velocity or simply a body's inertial mass.

This was clear in the beginning of the 20th century, when the theory of relativity was not yet created. Mass, m, denoted something like an amount of substance or quantity of matter. And at the same time mass was the quantitative measure of inertia of a body.

The mass of a body determines the momentum p of the body at given velocity v; it is a proportionality factor in the formula:

p  mv

The factor m is referred to as inertial mass.

But mass, as related to the 'inertia' of a body, can also be defined by the formula:

F  ma

Here, F is force, m is inertial mass, and a is acceleration.

By this formula, the greater its mass, the less a body accelerates under given force. Masses m defined by formula (1) and (2) are equal because formula (2) is a consequence of formula (1) if mass does not depend on time and velocity. Thus, "mass is the quantitative or numerical measure of a body’s inertia, that is of its resistance to being accelerated".

This meaning of a body's inertia therefore is altered from the popular meaning as "a tendency to maintain momentum" to a description of the measure of how difficult it is to change the velocity of a body. But it is consistent with the fact that motion in one reference frame can disappear in another, so it is the change in velocity that is important.

gorey said:

Codemasters have always, as far as I'm aware, advertised this 2014 version as "the most accessible Formula 1 video game yet". In other words, the easiest F1 game. The previous games were more arcade than sim and this 2014 release is even less focused on simulation. 

Murax said:

I thought so too when I played 2013. But i realised that my breaking technique became so refined over the years that i don't lock up so much anymore anyway. In fact i don't lock up at all, cos after all These years of practicing 2010/11/12/13 i've finally learned when to release the brake before lockup. Except you do a Rosberg brake like in Sochi hehehe....

So what i mean is: not the game has become easier, but your driving technique has become better.

No im afraid, the brakes have improved a lot, if you dont think so, go on bahrain in 2013 brake as late as you can into the first corner and make sure you get it turned in, then go to f1 2014 and do the same, what i found is that i was braking at about 130m to the corner in 2013 and on 2014 i was braking around the 90-100m mark

I can completely miss my braking points and still get the car slowed down and turned in without locking up the brakes. It just doesn't seem right.

Seems strange to me that it's easy not to lock up. That said, 2013s braking was ridiculous as well, I was locking up constantly, had to set my brake balance to 42-58 to get the thing slowed down, and then the rears locked. Looks like CM went a little too far correcting the sh!te brakes in 2013

this game is great with a great gameplay. thank you codemasters 2015 will be awesome.

Agree Lock ups should be far easier, but in reality the braking points are later this year as the ERS scrubs off some speed before the braking zone.

I agree with this post, it's almost like they decided to give wheel users a bit of abs to offset the difference to pad assist.

As someone else said above, none of us really know and even if we did, we are going through zero G-force whilst the real drivers go through considerably more so difficult to compare even for a real driver.

However, fact is that the best drivers in the World are locking up a lot more than us. The main reason "from what I can feel" is that the ERS is doing a lot of background braking for us - you can take corner 1 at Suzuka simply by coasting and going down the gearbox - and at a decent rate too.

Have to say, although it is a bit easy, I like it - a lot more precise than before. Hitting apexes on hairpins is a lot more instinctive now.

i think im losing a lot ofmy speed with the ers braking bc i used to be a heavy late braker settup flcik car sideways on the power early and go kinda driver now im a bit lost at sea and pissed off about AI being OP in the rain wtrf is that all about go from 1st place time in dry to p18 onky .700 odd faster then a caterham sigh rage at codies over luv the game tho just needs tweeking

Not sure about the brakes their over powered, but the new brake by wire system might be the reason for it. I did notice that if you set the brakes bias to front instead of neutral it does lock up 

I think Some of you are forgetting that the 2014 f1 cars have a totally different braking system to that of the 2013 cars. ERS, brake by wire what ever you want to call it is now responsible for slowing the car. Brembo explains how their system works. 2013 cars used the traditional pad and disk brakes which left much more room for driver error lock ups through friction than today's motorised brake/ energy recovery system. This powerful and effective system has led to deeper braking with smaller disks

Mrbundgee said:
 This powerful and effective system has led to deeper braking with smaller disks
Apparently it's led to no lockups either.....

Theres been lots of lockups in real F1 this year. Maybe not quite as many as in previous years but its just another case of Codies making a change and going too far with it.

The problem for me is the difference between the players ability to brake and the AI. Sometimes they brake so early you can't even react to it and lose front wing/get penalty etc. Flashbacks are therefore required unfortunately.