Sign in to follow this  

Another "Traction Control is ALWAYS enabled on PAD" Thread

The assists settings on the pad must be broken because the driving experience and comments about the physics are like comparing night with day. People on pad complaining that the game is too easy and dumbed down. People on the wheel saying that the handling is a lot of fun and much more difficult than F1 2013. I am using a wheel and I concur with those sentiments.

So we did a little test yesterday. We did 5 laps around Bahrain. Im using a wheel and the other 2 are using a pad. We were all running no assists except racing line with default setups and online equal cars. Below is the first video where no traction control is used. You can clearly see that off the line and out of slow corners the people on pad have a lot more traction. I have asked these people and they say they can just floor the throttle. That tells me that there is hidden traction control on pad or that the assist settings are broken and you cant switch traction control off even if its selected as off (on pad). On the wheel there is no problem, switch off traction control and it is off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08DfixOD154&list=UUY1PQWFyb_miymXbzjJGybg

Seeing this set off alarm bells so I asked to do the race again. They kept to the same settings but I turned traction control to on. Immediately there was a difference. For the first time I wasn't mugged off the line or out of slow corners. I was able to nail the throttle much earlier like the pad boys were saying they could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-PdsR4oCQ&list=UUY1PQWFyb_miymXbzjJGybg

Turning traction control to on, for me on the wheel, was making the driving experience similar to that of those on the pad. Here lies the problem... it is boring as fuck. The experience is horrible and easy and not how it is meant to be. Turn traction control off then I hear you ask... I cant because pad would be over 1 second per lap faster on a like for like basis. Codemasters have to patch this, its quite an obvious bug. I know this has been posted to death but the more people that come forward about this the quicker codemasters might fix it.

Please excuse the standard of driving, this was the first races I done on this game... but it was enough to confirm the reports on here re: traction control on pad. Thanks.

Who uses a pad to play a Formula One game? There are plenty of 'driving' games for those people. Mario Kart etc. 

Who uses a pad to play a Formula One game? There are plenty of 'driving' games for those people. Mario Kart etc. 
I do and I have a lot of fun

Offcourse you do, specially as online you have unfair advantage to wheel users :) But joking aside, something really need to be done about it, its completely ruining the game for the online part which is the most important aspect.

johnnyw said:
Offcourse you do, specially as online you have unfair advantage to wheel users :) But joking aside, something really need to be done about it, its completely ruining the game for the online part which is the most important aspect.
And that's something I agree with. But the whole "Using Pad = Doing it wrong" idea is stupid. People will spend money however they choose and have fun however they choose.

This isn't a wheel vs pad debate because that is just personal preference. The debate is about different driving physics depending whether you drive with a wheel vs pad and that is wrong because as it stands, pad users have over a 1 second per lap advantage than wheel users just on traction. I want to be able to race my pals whether they use a wheel or pad without constantly having to harp on about unfair advantages... As it stands, we cant start our league as it is... and a lot of online leagues are in turmoil over this. How can any legitimate non assists league allow pad users when it is crystal clear that pad users have traction control even when it is turned off? I like the handling on the wheel, the limited running I have done has been enjoyable and how I expected it to be. Pad users should have a similar experience, not a night and day difference. People on pad saying this is a lot easier than F1 2013 and the cars are on rails.... Wheel users telling the opposite story. It is a joke. Unlike previous F1 games where turning traction control off meant you could go quicker as long as you could handle the wheel spin, this game is slower if you turn traction control off. With traction control set to medium (on wheel) you can plant the throttle and get no bogging down at all. The same as for pad users with TC "disabled". Traction control in itself is too over powered because it is faster and that is wrong, but first please make pad and wheel on a level playing field.

I can confirm this.
Have tested it by a friend who buy it.
I have drive a test day in Australia with Controller and Wheel.
Here are the differences:

Logitech Driving Force GT No Assists and i am really struggling for grip (i like that and it should be like that)
Logitech Driving Force GT Traction Control Medium is near the XBOX 360 Controller without assists but not the same.

XBOX360 Controller No Assists drives like traction control enabled lot of grip
XBOX360 Controller Traction Control Medium drives the same, litte time differences, i am better with assists off

Times with Wheel are between 1.27.6 - 1.29.6 (mistakes punished more, most times arround 1.28.0)
Times with Controller are between 1.27.6 - 1.28.6 (feels easy, most times are 1.27.8)

So i am faster with Controller...in F1 2013 i was 1-1.5 seconds faster with wheel.
Anyone who are like to fight with the car should plug a wheel on.

BTW AI Difficulty is good but the difference between Expert and Legend are to big.
And wheel on wheel they are clearly the samelike 2013  in the break zones...breaks to much and they are cowards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJOTFLiDsFI&list=UUTfnagmCfYlkz0BWKu7sEaw

You can see the difference between pad and wheel just in a straight line in this video. From about 2 mins onwards.

A lot of people. Many people either can't afford or simply don't want to spend extra on something they'll only use for a couple of games. That doesn't make them any less of a serious racing game fan. It means they want to use their money elsewhere as there are more important things in life than pretending you're something you're not.
The elitism here is both completely uncalled for and utterly stupid.

I use a pad because I don't want to have to get a big wheel out and set it up each time to play a game. I play iRacing with a pad and can be quite competitive... I've tried a wheel but I then sold it.. just wasn't worth the aggro and it still didn't feel like driving in real life. Plus to get good pedals you have to spend a fortune, the ones that come standard on any wheel are shit.

A lot of people. Many people either can't afford or simply don't want to spend extra on something they'll only use for a couple of games. That doesn't make them any less of a serious racing game fan. It means they want to use their money elsewhere as there are more important things in life than pretending you're something you're not.
The elitism here is both completely uncalled for and utterly stupid.
Can't agree with this more. Particularly with the next gen consoles now out, I'm not buying a wheel for 360 just to have it be useless in a few months when I upgrade. I was expecting to have to balance the trigger on this game, but with everything off you can floor the throttle faster than you could on 2013. It's the most frustrating thing for those of us who don't have wheel and want the proper experience of these engines with the kit we've got. Quite frankly, it's ruined the game for pad users, and I'm pretty sure we'll out number wheel users by quite a lot.

Its not about buying a wheel in my opinion, it's about codemasters providing an experience that reflects what assists you've got on/off. Otherwise what's the point of the driver evaluation test if the game just leaves the assists on regardless of what difficulty you're recommended to play as. Making it more accessible to new players isn't a valid argument to me, because new players will want to have all the assists on anyway to begin with.

Me, because I really don't want to pay for a wheel when I have plenty of other things to spend money on. I don't have the space, and I don't want to set it up every time. 

Its just like the PC V console comments that. How people can't accept everyone has a different setup and way of playing is stupid. 

Im on the pad on the ps3, i dont know what all the other people on pad are dojng but i run no assists and in career mode and grand prix mode i have alot of wheelspin..
but i have noticed when you have the car in lean or standard there is way more traction, almost like driving on full traction control, but as soon as you flick it to rich mix this is where the wheelspin is crazy, i suggest everyone on the pad to go change there fuel to rich and see what happens

We have done side by side standing start comparisons between pad and wheel and there is definitely traction control on the pad. Off the line pad is 4 or 5 car lengths faster and its the same out of hairpins and any other slow corner.

We have done side by side standing start comparisons between pad and wheel and there is definitely traction control on the pad. Off the line pad is 4 or 5 car lengths faster and its the same out of hairpins and any other slow corner.
Get the pad users to go to rich mix, this is obviously a bug because in rich I struggle for traction, also im wondering people that say they have full traction with assists off must be doing the time attack and time trial cause in that mode you cannot change your fuel and it is set to standard, i did a 1:39.9 in time trial then went into grand prix mode, in the merc and on rich mix i was struggling for traction and only did a 1:41.7, i know there is no fuel and tyre simulation in tine trial but this prooves that standard and lean mix have a bug

Get the pad users to go to rich mix, this is obviously a bug because in rich I struggle for traction, also im wondering people that say they have full traction with assists off must be doing the time attack and time trial cause in that mode you cannot change your fuel and it is set to standard, i did a 1:39.9 in time trial then went into grand prix mode, in the merc and on rich mix i was struggling for traction and only did a 1:41.7, i know there is no fuel and tyre simulation in tine trial but this prooves that standard and lean mix have a bug
I agree!!!!!

it wont last for long, if the usual wheel users complain enough CM will do something about it, even although wheel users are a minority. I mean its hard enough to race cars with a control pad yet wheel users will always want it to be harder for pad users as they see it as there right as wheel users to be faster than anyone with a pad, even if the pad player has been playing for years and years. its just the way it goes.

it wont last for long, if the usual wheel users complain enough CM will do something about it, even although wheel users are a minority. I mean its hard enough to race cars with a control pad yet wheel users will always want it to be harder for pad users as they see it as there right as wheel users to be faster than anyone with a pad, even if the pad player has been playing for years and years. its just the way it goes.
I detect a touch of tongue-in-cheek, but if not you're missing the point entirely. 

We have a very competitive and established no assists league going. With F1 2011, the wheel users dominated slightly. With F1 2012/13, the pad users dominated slightly due to the steering assist. With F1 2014 we might as well run two separate races one for pad one for wheel. If it stays as-is, we're gonna have to abort the league, simple as that and just run assists leagues. 

Also, this is depriving pad users of the best handling model CM have ever come up with and we have some serious pad users that are more annoyed about this than the wheelie-boyz are.

This traction on is so annoying. Has any one tried actually doing a burn out... you can't. This game is broken. FIX IT CODEMASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a load of S;@t mate! It's a driving game so a steering wheel just makes sense. I don't drive to work everyday using a controller. Nobody wants it to be harder for libra pad users, online racers just want an even playing field. It takes a lot of skill to use the wheel with assists off in 2014 and still be competitive against an assisted flick of the thumbs. If the pad and wheel had exactly the same in game physics etc, the pad would be impossible to use. Then who'd be crying to CM??

This game is fixable yet of CM give us a patch. I just played it with the pad over-riding it with steering wheel controls. It's beautiful... traction control OFF! But steering sensitivity is crazy... At least I can spin the car out..
I'd sooner play it broken like this than dumbed down.
ALL CM need to do is make the driving aids turn off like they should.