Sign in to follow this  

My thoughts on pad handling

I’d just like to know one thing – was the simplification of pad handling a deliberate decision made some day during the F1 2014 development? Has somebody actually said “we want to make the game more accessible, so we are going to make the handling easier for newbies”?

I don’t want to judge anyone for that decision. I would just like to have somebody confirm or deny what a lot of us are suspecting right now.

Part of what made F1 2013 extremely enjoyable for me, was the game’s response to quick inputs. It was huge amounts of fun to throw the car around, especially at turns like that Hungraroring long right-hander before the chicane. Approach at 5th gear, quick downshift to 3rd, throw the car to get as close as you can to the kerb on the inside, and gradually move away from it to the opposite kerb, whilst maintaining a little powerslide thanks to the oversteer, and you’re in a really nice position on the approach to the chicane. Getting through it when pushing is satisfying and fun, and whilst it is still possible in 2014 to some extent, the spark is gone.

Another corner that has become mundane is Albert Park’s right-left flick at the beginning of Sector 3. In 2013 it is not the most unique or challenging thing in the game, but getting both apexes right and getting nicely on the outside exit kerb at speed is always enjoyable for me. In 2014 it’s more frustrating than not – it takes ages for the virtual driver to turn the wheel as much as it’s needed, and I end up feeling I could take much more speed into it than the game lets me. As you may guess, that’s not what I would call “fun”.

And it’s not like I’m some kind of noob complaining because he can’t drive properly. In 2013 game I’m quick enough to be on par with Legend AI, if not slightly quicker, with no assists.  (</snobbism> :P )

Also there’s all that stuff people are repeating over and over again, like the constant TC, and the fact pads are faster than wheels despite being that dull to drive with.

As I said, I don’t want to judge anyone. You guys at Codemasters have families to feed, and need money to do so. Hardcore fanbase doesn’t look as if it is big enough to make the game profitable on its own, so it’s understandable that right now you’re trying to reach out to casual audience and invite new players. I guess that F1 2014 was supposed to be a quick transistional title from Day One, made just to ensure there is a 2014 game on the market, whilst keeping most of the resources within 2015 development for the next-gen.

However, what I would like to know, is whether there are any planned changes to it following the criticism, and if the same approach will be taken in 2015. Maybe there are more causal pad racers than hardcore pad racers, but we all should be able to enjoy what is in its core a great racing game.

Or maybe that whole post is just 500+ words of naivety, I can’t really tell.

Right now I'm looking forward to upcoming patches (assuming there’ll be any). Hopefully they will restore some of the fun factor. But if nothing changes… well, time to get back to 2013 I guess.

My thoughts on the pad's steering:

Steering with a pad is a pain in the behind. Its too unresponsive even though the front end is very grippy. I like the fact that Gran Turismo 5 incorporated a slider for steering sensitivity as it would be very welcome in this game. Austria's S3 is a good example as you have to slow down just enough and turn in at the perfect time to make the corners without eating grass or you will lose heaps of time slowing down to much. You just cant make any fast steering corrections. F1 2013 was alot better in this regard.

My thoughts on the pad's steering:

Steering with a pad is a pain in the behind. Its too unresponsive even though the front end is very grippy. I like the fact that Gran Turismo 5 incorporated a slider for steering sensitivity as it would be very welcome in this game. Austria's S3 is a good example as you have to slow down just enough and turn in at the perfect time to make the corners without eating grass or you will lose heaps of time slowing down to much. You just cant make any fast steering corrections. F1 2013 was alot better in this regard.
Thank you mate. I totally agree with you. The "turn-in" is very unresponsive in comparison to wheel-drivers. Like you said sector 3 in Austria or sector 3 in Germany are very good examples where pad drivers loose a lot of time against wheel drivers. With a lot of time i mean about 0.7 to 1 second. For example in Austria ... sector 1&2 are well balanced between pad an wheel but coming up to sector 3 wheel drivers will beat the hell out of pad drivers just because they have much better "turn-in" and it seems they got  a lot more grip in fast corners. A friend tested Hockenheim with wheel and pad and in the first corner of sector 3, the fast right turn, there was a speed gap of 15-20 kph ( wheel 15-20 kph faster ) with same setup, car etc. . Fast corners with pad are just like you are driving a tank because you get no response from the car. Furthermore slow chicanes like in Monaco are also very poor to drive with a pad because it needs a lot of time for [ don't know if it is the right word ] "direction switches".
Another thing is i can't understand when people are saying pad drivers have full traction control even it is switched of. When I'm coming into the last corner in Melbourne and push the gas straight down in third gear (even in fourth gear) with a little bit of turn in  the car instantly breaks out so I have to be very careful with the gas.

I'm just hoping there will be a patch to balance wheel and pad better like it was in 2012 because loosing up to one second in sectors with "fast-turn-in-corners" is way too much

That is actually spot on champ. I use a wheel and in these races today I was in the red for the first 2 sectors but finished 8 tenths up in the purple crossing the line. 
Austria : 108.121
germany: 1:15.406
slowest in 2nd sectors by approx 2 tenths, finished 8 tenths clear on pole so the evidence agrees with you mate, well spotted 

The wheel might be faster through fast turn in corners but isn't that the advantage of having a wheel? Its not an artificial assist that is doing that, its just the wheel is a better device for taking those corners. Whilst I agree that the wheel has an advantage in those corners, such corners are sparse.... there are just a handful of such corners. Whereas there are hundreds of traction zones where the pad is just a lot faster, not because it is a better input device... but because it has hidden stealth assists running in the background. At least give the player the option to turn the assists on/off if they want. No assists should mean no assists regardless of what controller you use.

I agree.
This game is fixable yet of CM give us a patch. I just played it with the pad over-riding it with steering wheel controls. It's beautiful... traction control OFF! But steering sensitivity is crazy... but at least I can spin the car out..
I'd sooner play it broken like this than dumbed down.
ALL CM need to do is make the driving aids turn off like they should.

gprince said:
I agree.
This game is fixable yet of CM give us a patch. I just played it with the pad over-riding it with steering wheel controls. It's beautiful... traction control OFF! But steering sensitivity is crazy... but at least I can spin the car out..
Spot on there prince 

I agree they need a patch. I have a G25 & a XBOX 360 gamepad. I can definitely tell the gamepad is a lot slower.

MrDeap said:
I agree they need a patch. I have a G25 & a XBOX 360 gamepad. I can definitely tell the gamepad is a lot slower.
You are kidding, right? If both pad & wheel are used without assist pad is up to 2s lap faster at races. With wheel you just dont have any traction out of slow/medium speed corners, which makes it worse is that tyre wear is like 50x on wheel compared to pad, which basicly has no tyrewear at all, just lapping faster & faster lap by lap. While with wheel after few laps rears are toasted and its like figure skating.

Yep they dumbed down pad physics to the core.

Another thing bugging me is the ABS. I turn It off (I always go assists off), and It doesn not make any single difference. Impossible to lock the tyres.

johnnyw said:
MrDeap said:
You are kidding, right? If both pad & wheel are used without assist pad is up to 2s lap faster at races. With wheel you just dont have any traction out of slow/medium speed corners, which makes it worse is that tyre wear is like 50x on wheel compared to pad, which basicly has no tyrewear at all, just lapping faster & faster lap by lap. While with wheel after few laps rears are toasted and its like figure skating.

Don't know, I'm doing the time trial & I hard time to gold it with the pad. It didn't take me much effort on the wheel.

It's too early to tell. I'm going to test myself to make sure of the difference with a video editor.

If you add assist with the wheel, is it still slower with your ability?

Time trial isnt good to test it with as it has "optimal grip" & no tyre wear. Test the pad vs wheel in gp mode, career or online and you will be shocked.

Even at those modes where the tyre wear is in you can compete with pad on qualify with wheel, but in race its no contest when tyre wear kicks in.

Wheel users are paying a few hundred quid for their wheel, the least we can expect is to not be at an enormous disadvantage.
No hard feelings against pad-users, I used to be one aswell some time ago, but all I'm asking is for pad and wheel to be as close as possible performance wise.

And atm it's not even near to close.

johnnyw said:
MrDeap said:

GoldenColt said:
Wheel users are paying a few hundred quid for their wheel, the least we can expect is to not be at an enormous disadvantage.
No hard feelings against pad-users, I used to be one aswell some time ago, but all I'm asking is for pad and wheel to be as close as possible performance wise.

And atm it's not even near to close.
That is exactly what I wish too. I just remember back to f1 2012 where it was close between pad and wheel.
But atm i don't see pad up to 2 sec faster a lap in race or that pad has "much" better traction. I'm racing against wheel drivers and i don't see there a huge advantage/disadvantage for anybody, maybe at the start for pad drivers but with time and practice wheel drivers hitting the start as good as pad drivers. Also traction in corners are pretty the same so if there is a gap of "2 sec a lap in race" then it is not based on pad/wheel but on setup/wheel configuration. For example at spa I drive side by side with a wheel-driver and in corners like the first and last one where traction really matters we drive very equal ( both all assists of) both are very careful with accelerating, maybe there is a hidden tc on pad ,I don't know, but that doesn't allows you to  push very hard while accelerating that is just not the case. With pad you have to be very careful with the gas too. Spa is another good example .. sector 1&3 pretty balanced between pad/wheel but in sector two with lots of fast corners where "highspeed-grip" matters there is again a gap of 7 to 8 tenth and that is just too much.

All I want is just racing ... no matter which car you driving or you driving pad/wheel ... just racing on as equal terms as possible because it is very frustrating to loose in one sector up to one second while the other two sectors are well balanced between pad/wheel

hola said:
Yep they dumbed down pad physics to the core.

Another thing bugging me is the ABS. I turn It off (I always go assists off), and It doesn not make any single difference. Impossible to lock the tyres.
Same with wheel.

As a pad user I don't want to be 2 seconds faster than a wheel user. Of course a pad user wants to win fair and square. 
CM fix these always on assists please. I didn't buy this game to be given arcade physics and auto pilot gameplay. 

@Hatta - They do understand that if they just make the "pad traction assist" a bit less rather than removing it completely, we WILL notice. All we're wanting is pad & wheel the same. Ditto pad users seem to be struggling for turn-in, but again so long as they can turn in as quick as a wheel (and no quicker) we'll all be happy. 

It does also feel like brakes are assisted, but same as most people I like the braking now even if its a little bit easy. 

Trying to make the game accessible to as many players as possible is a good thing.
Implementing hidden assists that cannot be turned off is a terrible idea.

There are pad players who are precise with the steering/throttle/brake inputs and don't need any assists.
It's totally fine to have pad-specific assists to make the game accessible to casual players as long as there is the option to turn them off (and include the option to ban pad assists in custom lobbies in the same way host can ban other assists).
Having the option to adjust steering/throttle sensitivity & deadzone on pad would be great, and would be way better than having hidden pad assists that cannot be turned off.

I challenge anyone who says they can go faster with pad than they can with a wheel to play with a pad in cockpit camera view and see if they can go faster than if they used a wheel. I bet they can't. Maybe they can go faster on a pad playing in other views, but I'm sure they will not be able to go faster on a pad in cockpit camera view.

I'm just posting this question here since it's relevant and I don't want to start a separate topic. I've seen some people on the forums talking about overriding the pad controls to the wheel control scheme to get rid of the hidden assists. Is this possible on the consoles like the 360? The control settings for the wheel are locked unless you have one plugged in, but I'm wondering if there is a way to install something on a flash drive that would trick the console into thinking a wheel is plugged in. 

gprince said:
I agree.
You just need to do that with Steering Linearity at 100%.... then perfect pad controls!

How do you adjust steering linearity on an Xbox 360 with a pad?
im really struggling to do fast corners because the cars steering wheel is just too slow to turn.
my steering angle feels limited to my speed and I'm having to slow to an unreasonable level just to make corners.
Set override to wheel