Sign in to follow this  

WELL DONE BAKU 2018

Vettel had terrible pace in Australia compared to old, useless, contractually bound to play 2nd fiddle Kimi. The fact that the win fell in his lap doesn't change anything about that. Today, he screwed up big time and threw away important points.

Lol, Hamilton screwed up today as well, but he was lucky enough to do it earlier in the race. 

As you said yourself:

"The fact that the win fell in his lap doesn't change anything about that"

Hamilton is very luck today he hasn't lost to Bottas in 3 out of 4 races this year...

And where exactly did I praise Lewis for winning the race today? I was happy about it, but fully acknowledge that it wasn't a masterpiece-drive from him. You on the other hand brushed Vettel's subpar performance in the season opener under the rug when you claimed his only weak performance was the lock up today.

VetteIfan said:
Was it? Sure he fell back heavily in the time before Hamilton pitted, but the reason Lewis had pitted so early was because he battered his tyres. The length and speed of Bottas' stint from that point on was strong and he would've beaten Hamilton had the SC not intervened. 

I doubt his tyres were done before he locked up, the laptimes don't bear that out.  The lock-up itself, well, it happens. Especially if you are on the edge trying to keep up with a much faster car.

And where exactly did I praise Lewis for winning the race today? I was happy about it, but fully acknowledge that it wasn't a masterpiece-drive from him. You on the other hand brushed Vettel's subpar performance in the season opener under the rug when you claimed his only weak performance was the lock up today.
His performance until the SC was weaker, but afterwards he ran off with the win in Australia and left Kimi for dead. I don't recall saying it was a great drive.
And yeah Vettel did mess up today, but equally so, if that move had come off we'd all be talking about how fantastic of a move it was and how good his race went, that's the margin in racing between being the best and being nowhere. 8 or 9 times out of 10, Vettel pulls that move off or doesn't make that error, same as the other top drivers.

I doubt his tyres were done before he locked up, the laptimes don't bear that out.  The lock-up itself, well, it happens. Especially if you are on the edge trying to keep up with a much faster car.
Yeaah. Vettel locking up while trying to pull off an overtake is a big time screw up. Hamilton doing it under no pressure at all, eh it happens ;) Same error just Hamilton got away with losing points because he got luckier with the craziness that transpired afterwards.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention Leclerc in my previous post. Super drive and undoubtedly driver of the day/weekend. I really hope this signals his arrival and not just a one off because I am pulling for him. Seems a super down to earth kid. 

VetteIfan said:
Yeaah. Vettel locking up while trying to pull off an overtake is a big time screw up. Hamilton doing it under no pressure at all, eh it happens ;)
C'mon Seb, you know how I meant it. Both things can happen every now and then, doesn't mean that they aren't serious mistakes which might cost you a race-win or a hell of a lot of points. Again, I did not praise Lewis for his drive today, but equally, I wouldn't praise Bottas's effort too much either. It's easy in hindsight to say he saved his tyres in the first stint, but we've seen so many of those slow first stints from him in the past and there was no gain for him, which suggests to me that he was simply not on the same pace as Lewis today.

What a mad race that was! Great to see Lewis get a bit of luck and I'm delighted Leclerc has shown what we thought he was capable of.

Still applicable for China

https://i.redditmedia.com/2ewQMOJ_LGhJ_3_LIAqvXicg3krpuzIS5lSTRm6ygRw.jpg?w=801&s=feca9a6ed416d2c075d06dcef9ce6343

I thought the race was super entertaining! Lots of action. I wish the safety car would have come in sooner (thanks Grosjean). Super bummed that the last two Ferrari poles could not have been wins. I am confident know though that Ferrari will keep fighting at the front and get more wins through the season. The championship is super close! Hamilton leads the drivers by 4 and Ferrari lead the constructors by 4. This season is great!

Good thing no other team ever does this with their driver.

*cough* Bottas! *cough*
I don't remember Bottas losing any positions that one time they did it in Spain 2017. Didn't Kimi lose multiple positions in China 2018 because of staying out for so long?

*cough* Bottas! *cough*
I don't remember Bottas losing any positions that one time they did it in Spain 2017. Didn't Kimi lose multiple positions in China 2018 because of staying out for so long?
He lost 1 position. Not bad if I do say so myself.

Something that also bothered me, is the Ocon-Raikkonen collision. Ocon basically turned into Raikkonen expecting nobody to be there, ruined his own race, yet went off blaming the whole thing on Kimi after the race. Shows a lack of self-reflection.

*cough* Bottas! *cough*
I guess Kimi would disagree with that. Same goes for Austria 2017 btw.

*cough* Bottas! *cough*
I guess Kimi would disagree with that. Same goes for Austria 2017 btw.
Bmouh, as long as he gets ice cream he’s fine.