Sign in to follow this  

Pad assists - an explanation please

Here's my interpretation of how I think things went so badly wrong:-

Steering - clearly an analogue stick is going to be inferior to a chunky wheel with FFB, so lets help the pad users. Fine, but CM decided that rather than add in a bit of correction,they would simply give the pad a perfect turning circle each time instead. So as of F1 2012, a pad in the hands of an expert has always been slightly quicker than a wheel in the hands of an expert.

F1 2013 - no obvious changes, pad still the preferred device for crunching the Time Trial Leaderboards

F1 2014 - a lot of pad users still use the X, Square buttons instead of the triggers, so rather than force them onto the correct buttons, CM decided to dumb down acceleration, especially as the turbos were going to make life impossible for the X, Square brigade. 

So pad users, now you have it all, it steers for you, accelerates for you and brakes for you (forgot to mention brakes, but they seem pretty easy with wheel too TBH.

On my side, as a league admin I have two choices now - 1) delay starting our no assists leagues until a patch corrects this monumental cock-up (if there will ever be one - CM have to admit they're wrong for that to happen)  or 2) ban pad users from our No Assists Leagues.

STUFFED!

Steering - clearly an analogue stick is going to be inferior to a chunky wheel with FFB, so lets help the pad users. Fine, but CM decided that rather than add in a bit of correction,they would simply give the pad a perfect turning circle each time instead. So as of F1 2012, a pad in the hands of an expert has always been slightly quicker than a wheel in the hands of an expert.
Not true. The Nouvelle chicane in Monaco is a fucking nightmare on a pad, trying to flick left then right so quickly, when the wheel doesn't want to turn that quickly. It's not a perfect turning circle, and the wheel has always been the quicker option. Full control of a wheel (rather than an analogue stick), and the ability to measure the throttle and brake use, much better than the shoulder buttons.

F1 2013 - no obvious changes, pad still the preferred device for crunching the Time Trial Leaderboards
Rubbish, 2013 handling was lightened considerably, as 2012 had very heavy steering ala 2014. For reference every league I entered in these years were won by wheel users, easily.

F1 2014 - a lot of pad users still use the X, Square buttons instead of the triggers, so rather than force them onto the correct buttons, CM decided to dumb down acceleration, especially as the turbos were going to make life impossible for the X, Square brigade. DO they? I thought majority use R2 L2? And force them in to the "correct buttons", when people are entitled to play with whichever button configuration they want!? LOL! People can use whichever buttons they want, and they should be able to do it without being labelled a "brigade".

So pad users, now you have it all, it steers for you, accelerates for you and brakes for you (forgot to mention brakes, but they seem pretty easy with wheel too TBH. No it doesn't steer, accelerate or brake for you.

On my side, as a league admin I have two choices now - 1) delay starting our no assists leagues until a patch corrects this monumental cock-up (if there will ever be one - CM have to admit they're wrong for that to happen)  or 2) ban pad users from our No Assists Leagues. It's a cock up because you stopped winning? How about just run the league, and stop whining if you don't win?

STUFFED!

Sounds to me like you, and let's call you Sebastian, you Sebastian, lost a race against a pad user and all your toys came falling out the pram. Diddums.

Wheels have been whipping pads for years, particularly with all the settings you can change on them. Get over it.

Grow up, you child.

I do not know for how long you have been reading CM forums Gav25182, but i will summarize some facts for you (no links to old threads because CM shut down the old forum) :

Pads have been faster since F1 2012 because of several steerings assist CM introduced for their main audience for f1 games (pad users), to help them with consistency throughout a whole race.

You may not have experienced this issue because...

a) you're not a wheel driver who invested lots of his free time practicing, just to be beaten by (experienced) pad drivers with a ridiculous amount of track time (1 or 2h max) in league races.

b) you're not a good pad driver

I skipped this years F1 game because I have sold my x360 but, as a league admin, I share Bobby's opinion. Hopefully CM will address  these issues...

F1 2014 - a lot of pad users still use the X, Square buttons instead of the triggers, so rather than force them onto the correct buttons, CM decided to dumb down acceleration, especially as the turbos were going to make life impossible for the X, Square brigade. 

So pad users, now you have it all, it steers for you, accelerates for you and brakes for you (forgot to mention brakes, but they seem pretty easy with wheel too TBH.

On my side, as a league admin I have two choices now - 1) delay starting our no assists leagues until a patch corrects this monumental cock-up (if there will ever be one - CM have to admit they're wrong for that to happen)  or 2) ban pad users from our No Assists Leagues.

STUFFED!
100% agree with you mate!! Using a wheel on legend on PS3 in career and i'm plum last and over a second slower than the car in 21st place on qualifying!! It's ridiculous!!

jaykaybe said:
I do not know for how long you have been reading CM forums Gav25182, but i will summarize some facts for you (no links to old threads because CM shut down the old forum) :

Pads have been faster since F1 2012 because of several steerings assist CM introduced for their main audience for f1 games (pad users), to help them with consistency throughout a whole race.

You may not have experienced this issue because...

a) you're not a wheel driver who invested lots of his free time practicing, just to be beaten by (experienced) pad drivers with a ridiculous amount of track time (1 or 2h max) in league races.

b) you're not a good pad driver

I skipped this years F1 game because I have sold my x360 but, as a league admin, I share Bobby's opinion. Hopefully CM will address  these issues...

Read the forums a long time, used to post on the old one, resisted on posting on here up until this week as its full of moaning kids.

I disagree on the pads, 2012 and 2013, as I said, of the several leagues I entered, they were all won by wheel users, as they were able to customise their settings to such a great extent. 2013 was definitely a step back for your average pad player, but as I said, they've never been favoured in any case. For reference I'm a decent enough pad player, without the need to tell strangers online that I'm amazing etc. The only online league I have won is going back 2010. Maybe you are not a very good wheel driver?

I don't actually know what the difference yet is between wheels and pads in 14, I haven't been online, but pads are not as easy to use this year as the whinging wheelies are making out, Monaco is a fucking nightmare, and the cars are unresponsive

It's the pad users complaining too. They are saying it's too easy. There are facts and they are pads have steering assist (max steering angle limited by speed) and now they have TC on even when it's selected as off. I could cope with steering assist for pads but not traction assist, it has to be a bug.

mgmikeyt said:
It's the pad users complaining too. They are saying it's too easy. There are facts and they are pads have steering assist (max steering angle limited by speed) and now they have TC on even when it's selected as off. I could cope with steering assist for pads but not traction assist, it has to be a bug.

What the hell is steering assist doing then? Because if I go straight on at a corner I go straight on, and If I turn in the corner, I have to turn ridiculously early because the car is so unresponsive, and takes ages to go from lock to lock, regardless of the speed of the corner.

Can you put full lock on with a pad at 100mph? Nope, with a wheel you can. That is an extreme example but the steering assist limits the amount of steering angle you can apply based on your speed. It's not a 1:1 input ratio but a wheel is. Yes, this can make you more precise and responsive with a wheel but with a pad you can't ever apply more steering angle than there is grip available. That ultimately makes it easier to be quick.