Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 Understeer City!

Is it just me who thinks that F1 2014 is understeer city? I play with a controller on PS3 with all assists off and in both slow and fast corners, any car that I drive does not want to turn! I've read a lot about controllers having "hidden assists" so I'm just wondering if this is contributing to the amount of understeer I'm getting. It's not down to setups either because I've tried various setups for different tracks and in each game mode, all I'm getting is loads of understeer. To me, it seems like the steering has gone back towards F1 2012 where it takes a lot longer to reach full steering lock on the controller than it did in F1 2013. I'm getting absolutely murdered by the AI because of this

Yes, that does appear to be a controller only issue. I race with a wheel and I haven't experienced any understeer problems. In fact, at high speed the cars all seem to have tremendous grip.

This is a major issue.  Thank you for discovering this Keeno.  Clearly many are playing without realising Assists are still in effect.  That is why we're getting conflicting reports about grip levels etc.  I have heard some complain that they can't get the wheels to lock-up under braking, even in the wet.  This is obviously what's happening. 

Are people confusing understeer with heaviness?

I saw people moaning about this in 2012 and 14. They aren't understeering, they will understeer when you take your foot off the brake before you slowed enough for a corner and then still wrenched the wheel left or right, happened to me in 13 all the time. In 14, the steering is heavy, not understeery. Maybe CM went too far, but real F1 cars simply don't skate around like they did in the 2011 and 2013 games.

The steering just isn't responsive at all. It's gone more towards F1 2012 where it takes an age for the steering to go from lock to lock and you can tell this by the in game steering wheel. F1 2013 was much faster and in my opinion, so much better.

Because the steering is so unresponsive, it's near impossible to hit every apex when using a controller in fact sectors on tracks such as Silverstone maggots and becketts, Hungary middle sector, Circuit of the Americas first sector, Australia fast left right in the middle sector. I drove Monaco earlier and that track is awful to drive using a controller because of this new handling which you have probably perfectly defined it as "Heavy" Pray to god that Codemasters pick up on peoples complaints about this

I play using a wheel, I find the cars tend to snap oversteer mid corner in anything up to 4th gear and sometimes more. Yes I can make the car understeer, by entering corners too fast.

The steering is responsive for me with my current wheel settings 

I'm a complete knob using the pad but after hearing the comments about how easy it is in 2014 I decided to test it out yesterday. I still struggled but nowhere near like I used to and actually find the car turns in so much easier on the pad than my wheel. It feels very pointy. So I'm really surprised to read this thread regarding understeer. Is it maybe an incorrect setting that is causing the problem? 

You guys realise that the real 2014 cars have less downforce? So codies would have to put this into the game, with less downforce it means more understeer, if you guys watch real f1, go back to pre season tests, thats all the drivers were saying is understeer, so it isnt a bug it is the way the 2014 cars are

There is less downforce as expected but considering the Merc is the car to have this year the understeer on it in this game is just horrid, I have tried different setups but the red bull and even the ferrari are easier and faster to drive. That cannot be right surely!? 

RipperGP said:
There is less downforce as expected but considering the Merc is the car to have this year the understeer on it in this game is just horrid, I have tried different setups but the red bull and even the ferrari are easier and faster to drive. That cannot be right surely!? 
Yes the merc is the best but it will be equaly to the marussia or caterham of 2013, thats how much the cars have gone back on performance, compare the real lap times to last years,  on tracks that require downforce this years cars are a few seconds off, so the game has done it justice

If you're having problem's with the controller it's proberley down to carrying too much speed into the corners. Like hammy said it does feel pointy and ridged when turning in also they have also have lost a lot of downforce and at the same time Only thing I've noticed at this moment is the brake's are slighty over powered. If they make a patch I hope it's not as bad as 2013 which completely destroyed the handling model for people who actually wanted to play the game without taking people out 

Chromatic said:
If you're having problem's with the controller it's proberley down to carrying too much speed into the corners. Like hammy said it does feel pointy and ridged when turning in also they have also have lost a lot of downforce and at the same time Only thing I've noticed at this moment is the brake's are slighty over powered. If they make a patch I hope it's not as bad as 2013 which completely destroyed the handling model for people who actually wanted to play the game without taking people out 
I hope not the braking is like real life! Watch how late drivers brake in real life its pretty much like f1 2014, ive always felt brakes were to underpowered in previous games, if they change the brakes i hope they just make it easier to lock up

I'm guessing with reliance on overpowered brakes, people feel they can take additional speed into a corner, thus leaving the turning a fraction later, thus giving the impression of increased understeer? Lessen the braking power and brake earlier. I'm talking minor differences here, just a few yards maybe - but it could help

stuzster said:
I'm guessing with reliance on overpowered brakes, people feel they can take additional speed into a corner, thus leaving the turning a fraction later, thus giving the impression of increased understeer? Lessen the braking power and brake earlier. I'm talking minor differences here, just a few yards maybe - but it could help
I find if you brake in this unrealistic late way, you run wide, slide a bit, this then overheats the tyres, causing to wheel spin out of the same corner. 

I have to agree with OP. I play on wheel and find I'm up to 2 seconds a lap faster. I understand downforce isn't what it was , but the gamepad is not even competitive when playing against the wheel. 

On the gamepad I can just about meet the targets in career against expert AI whereas on the wheel I can quite easily exceed them. 

Id have to agree that the gamepad gameplay does need changing in the future to keep the game fun. 

Also car tuning makes less of a difference on gamepad to wheel.

that said, the gameplay is great on wheel. Not denying that