Sign in to follow this  

2018 Grande Premio de Spain

I am so bummed out about Mercedes pace. What the hell? Why are they so far ahead all of a sudden? I am really hoping that I don't have to watch Lewis win by 20 seconds for the rest of the season. I want the racing to go back to the start of the season. I did enjoy parts of this race though. Watching Alonso fighting other cars was super enjoyable. Also, Charles Leclerc's drive was amazing. I am really liking him as a driver.

Pirelli.

AMS97KRR said:
I am so bummed out about Mercedes pace. What the hell? Why are they so far ahead all of a sudden? I am really hoping that I don't have to watch Lewis win by 20 seconds for the rest of the season. I want the racing to go back to the start of the season. I did enjoy parts of this race though. Watching Alonso fighting other cars was super enjoyable. Also, Charles Leclerc's drive was amazing. I am really liking him as a driver.

Pirelli.
What do you mean? Did they change the tires or something?

AMS97KRR said:

Pirelli.
What do you mean? Did they change the tires or something?
They did. The Barcelona-track had been resurfaced due to complaints from MotoGP-riders that it lacked grip to the point of it being a safety hazard to them. This however had the potential effect of dramatically increasing the tyre degradation of the F1-cars to the point we would've seen carnage. And that apparently is a bad thing. So Pirelli worked with several F1-teams to find a way how to construct new tyres specifically made for the Barcelona-track that makes them suitable for racing conditions. This produced a tyre that has maximized the potential of the Mercedes-car, seemingly.

The story is that, out of all F1-teams, Pirelli's communication was the strongest with Mercedes and Red Bull, so the cynical response is that Pirelli made tyres to suit them specifically. Personally I don't think there's a conspiracy, but I think it's natural when you work intensively with a tyre manufacturer to build a tyre, you'll end up influencing the development of it in such a way that it'll suit your needs. It's smart politics and it has happened before between Pirelli and individual drivers even.

The old tires are expected back in Monaco, however, a similar situation is very likely to arise at the French GP and the British GP, as both the Paul Ricard and the Silverstone-tracks have been resurfaced.

A picture from today's testing at Catalunya:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdQELoeW0AIjM8l.jpg

And, straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/23512229/sebastian-vettel-test-proves-ferrari-problems-spain-were-not-due-tyres

To be honest that's worse news than it being down to Pirelli. This is probably going to happen again at other tracks sadly. At least if it was down to the tyres it would only mean 3 races where Mercedes have that pace. 

And on the other hand it also disproves the idea that the Ferrari is clearly the best car. How Mercedes found that pace is just beyond me. 

Another complete snoozefest to come at Monaco next weekend as well, these 2 tracks just need to be taken out back and shot. The only good Spanish GP I can recall was 2012. As for Monaco, it's just not suitable for the cars anymore. These two being back to back is a mistake.

Plot twist: Ferrari is crap again in Monaco, but Red Bull suddenly dominates and scores a 1-2.

EDIT: What, I can't say crap? How about poop? Doodoo?

Ok, so to fix the tire development they could get more input from all the teams. Or what if they only brought two tires, the Ultra-Soft and Super-Soft tires to every race. That way the teams would have to make more pit-stops and more strategy would play out instead of these one stoppers.

Haas objects.