Sign in to follow this  

Launch Date Announced but no Beta Yet - I am Worried

So it looks like F1 2018 has been announced for August 24th and there is still not a beta.

Out of curiosity how are bugs found in the beta going to be fixed in time for the game launch?  It seems like that will be very unrealistic time frame..

All I know is that there better be a team dedicated to making the Safety Car work online, that is for sure.  I will happily volunteer to help If I get a beta code :)

You are right to be concerned.

There may be another "DAY ONE PATCH" on release day that, as history taught us, will most likely be a very instable build of the game including many bugs and issues.

Stay safe, observe this forum closely on release day and above all,
DO NOT PREORDER.

DO NOT PREORDER.
I cannot emphasise the importance of this statement enough.

Unless the reviews state extremely clearly that the previous bugs (SC, performance, rubber banding) have been addressed, I will not buy it.

Also this year I will take it after at least 3 months, seeing and considering that every time there are bugs that make it impossible to play ..... a game that comes out in 3 months and yet there are no beta .... really great. .. Considering that F1 2017 has become playable after about 4 months .... well

Yeah I am abit confused to beta as now we have release date ,

seems too too me that beta is already underway and only a few have been involved ,

thats is what ived said , it would be nice instead of planning around testing they could let people know beta is actually under way , the timeline seems too tight for beta testing and offical release , 

Hopefully when they announce more news, we can get some confirmation from the development team or R&D team here on the forum about maybe what has been fixed and even maybe a little insight on why it was so hard to get certain things fixed in the last game. 

I think a little transparency would at least help them out.  It will be hard to buy in confidence without knowing that online could be completely broken, or that the engine upgrades do not work in career mode.  At least the ended up fixing the later issue. 

2017 was very positive in a lot of areas, I just hope they spend more time to make things work well and be more polished instead of trying to add too many new features and never getting them working as designed.

You have to relax dude. I'm sure they have testers in their own team, and they will fix a lot. Of course it wont be running 100% at the first weeks, but thats gaming. 

NickDahy said:
So it looks like F1 2018 has been announced for August 24th and there is still not a beta.

Out of curiosity how are bugs found in the beta going to be fixed in time for the game launch?  It seems like that will be very unrealistic time frame..

All I know is that there better be a team dedicated to making the Safety Car work online, that is for sure.  I will happily volunteer to help If I get a beta code :)

Last year the beta opened on May 23 and the game was announced May 17. It’s the same as last year, no need for concern.

Kairronen said:
You have to relax dude. I'm sure they have testers in their own team.
I'm sure they do have testers. The ones where you hit in the arm 10 months later they say OW

NickDahy said:
...how are bugs found in the beta going to be fixed in time for the game launch?...

Same way bugs found in the last 5+ years were fixed.

(Spoiler alert: they won't be fixed. Functional quality doesn't matter when people buy it anyway.)

Last year the beta opened on May 23 and the game was announced May 17. It’s the same as last year, no need for concern.
This is actually exactly my concern.  There were issues last time that were still never resolved.  If they are doing the same thing as last time, why would you expect a different result?

I am sure they have some, but this is the insight I would like to know about.  But when a beta is released to many people you get much more feedback that a small testing group will take forever to find.  Are they testing just on a local LAN or are they actually testing say in other places of the world 1000km away.

I am not raging over here I am just asking legitimate questions and want the game to succeed.

And also I know that Codemasters reads the forum and takes constructive criticism fairly well, as I have seen on some of my other threads over the years. 

This is why I am recommending a little transparency and also why I am raising a legitimate question for such a short window. 

I work for a software company and I know how many builds there are and how long it can take.  3 months ahead of time will not work with you end up with pages of bugs coming back in that time frame.  Even if a lot of them are simple fixed, there will be some that will take a while to reproduce but can be game breaking like the issue they were having with AI cars and pitting too many times in changing conditions.

To be honest, they should keep the beta after the actual game release and use it as a kind of Community Test Environment like EA does with the Battlefield franchise. They could create a version of the game can supply useful debug info while people play it, so it would be easier to identify the root cause of issues that people report, instead of trying to reproduce it themselves. This could lead to bugs getting fixed faster, which also means more bugs would get fixed in a given amount of time.

But one can only dream :)

I am looking forward to still seeing XBox keys shown when using a Fanatec Wheel (like X Y or F10 'buttons' labels)... been same for several years of CM F1 games now.

Kairronen said:
You have to relax dude. I'm sure they have testers in their own team, and they will fix a lot. Of course it wont be running 100% at the first weeks, but thats gaming. 
Bless

NickDahy said:
I am sure they have some, but this is the insight I would like to know about.  But when a beta is released to many people you get much more feedback that a small testing group will take forever to find.
You'd be surprised how few people are required to find the majority of issues in any given software. (For usability tests -- which I know aren't the same as multiplayer game tests -- 5 people will find nearly all the problems, and 15 will often find them all.)