Sign in to follow this  

R & D

Started career with Red Bull and noticed I'm 1.5 secs slower on track than I am on Grand Prix mode.

Somewhat frustrating but what's more frustrating is i cannot pass the R&D task to lap within a certain time using my brakes for 12% of the lap, it's impossible without going too slow. 

Such a dumb task, is this going to be detrimental to my career mode now? 

Yeah that first R&D was tough, I just managed it on the third try. I guess unlike previous games it was nice you had to earn it. Not that you necessarily "earn" upgrades in real life. It would be more realistic if you did two back to back three lap runs with and without the new part and you got the choice whether to keep the part at the end of it.

Thanks, just can't seem to pass and wondering if it's going to leave me with a slower car for the rest of the season or whether the upgrades will come anyway 

I got a easy first R&D so cant say anything on that... Mine was like in the other games, reeeeaaaaally easy. I had to drive 3 laps in a certain time, that I beat with like 20sec. And also not get more then 21% tyre wear on those 3 laps, I got something like 9% or something. And then got the suspension upgrade with 10% reduced tyre wear. So yeah, I was apperantly more lucky then you guess :P

They should not remove it, but deffintly improve on it...Both make the R&D objectives better and make the AI affected by it yes

Now I remember why I always use to race in Grand Prix mode for full seasons and not career, even if you start with a top team you are still lumbered with a slow car! 

I think more R&D and if reliability issues could be reduced in practice it would provide more incentive for people to use FP1 and FP2, and maybe bring FP1 and FP2 back. Also more downtimes (simulation time on car repairs/adjustments) in the garage could help eat up the 4 hours. Many R&D tasks throughout all the practice sessions. Or the engineer tells you to run a certain amount of laps, and if you don't do it, your car has a higher chance of failing.

Then again some people will hate that and just want to race and get angry at codemasters when their car breaks.

If fp1 and 2 come back I think they need objectives. Maybe fp1 is r&d. Fp2 has race setup objectives and fp3 has qualifying  objectives

Dez0808 said:
If fp1 and 2 come back I think they need objectives. Maybe fp1 is r&d. Fp2 has race setup objectives and fp3 has qualifying  objectives
Sounds good. FP1 and FP2 just have to be fun/exciting in some way.
In real life, they don't get bored. It's all important. They want their car to work properly. I could be wrong but it's usually just the last part of FP3 that I see drivers doing the more boring part of just practicing. Other than that, they look like they are pretty much testing. Testing setups/reliability. It'd be nice if we could 'view replay' while we are in our garage so we can watch ourselves slowly in each corner.

Let's be honest though, who honestly expects any patches from codemasters now?

As a company they probably cannot justify the cost when all their eggs are already in next years game basket 

What happends to the car for season 2? I mean att the end of season 1 you can have a good car after all the R&D upgades, but what happend to those for season 2 if you stay att the team? Will the car be just as good as it was in the end of season 1 or will it be like starting all over again?

Stevomock said:
I think more R&D and if reliability issues could be reduced in practice it would provide more incentive for people to use FP1 and FP2, and maybe bring FP1 and FP2 back. Also more downtimes (simulation time on car repairs/adjustments) in the garage could help eat up the 4 hours. Many R&D tasks throughout all the practice sessions. Or the engineer tells you to run a certain amount of laps, and if you don't do it, your car has a higher chance of failing.

Then again some people will hate that and just want to race and get angry at codemasters when their car breaks.
it could be an option in the diffucly setting an could be low (minimum R&D like we have now) medium ( has a mix of standerd and extra runs with small chance of fails and problems) and high (max R&D runs with bigger chance of fails if you dont meet the laps or requirements etc ) this way people could choise thier poisen and no rage etc smat eh

Stevomock said:
Dez0808 said:
Sounds good. FP1 and FP2 just have to be fun/exciting in some way.
In real life, they don't get bored. It's all important. They want their car to work properly. I could be wrong but it's usually just the last part of FP3 that I see drivers doing the more boring part of just practicing. Other than that, they look like they are pretty much testing. Testing setups/reliability. It'd be nice if we could 'view replay' while we are in our garage so we can watch ourselves slowly in each corner.
yup sounds good bc in the real gp season they use FP1 and FP2 alot to get new parts sorted in the real world racing to see if thier wind tunnel data and sim data corralates to the tarmac, also its great for bedding new talent bc time in current spec f1 cars is limited bc of the testing bans, so you could say have carreer mode by starting out in pre season testing to get a job with a team an help with thier R&D b4 the season starts (adding to the depth of R&D features) and be the reserve driver and earn a spot by running in FP1 and 2 and beating one of the main team drivers gets you tier seat for rest of that season championship and have career mode 7 seasons long to make this feature work in relation to the extra races needed to get a f1 seat in season 1

RipperGP said:
Started career with Red Bull and noticed I'm 1.5 secs slower on track than I am on Grand Prix mode.

Somewhat frustrating but what's more frustrating is i cannot pass the R&D task to lap within a certain time using my brakes for 12% of the lap, it's impossible without going too slow. 

Such a dumb task, is this going to be detrimental to my career mode now? 
Yeah I had trouble with that R&D task as I'm in Marissia. In the end I passed it by setting my braking to Auto in assists as I could get enough hear in the brakes. Anyway it works because the Ai braking is so over the too so try it. 

Now in Spain I got a R&D problem... I have to make a laptime of 1.34, but its heavy rain. And when the Mercedes guys drive att 1.37.XXX how can I drive on 1.34....

I returned to my career to find a completely different r & d task, for tyre wear which was very easy so it's a mystery really! 

FMassa93 said:
Now in Spain I got a R&D problem... I have to make a laptime of 1.34, but its heavy rain. And when the Mercedes guys drive att 1.37.XXX how can I drive on 1.34....

Well, i'd say that's fishy, i guess they wanna bully you outta the team. Maybe your interviews were to critical.....lol

No honest, this can only be a bug (hopefully)

R&D is not only boring to do, but royally sucks that you have to start each season with a gimped car while the AI doesn't. Also, maybe i want to do One Shot qualifying!!!  If i stick to an entire season of  OSQ'ing, i'll be stuck with a gimped car for the entire season. It pretty much forces you to play Long weekend on any races that have R&D.

Feature should be removed. It's not fun.

gorey said:
R&D is not only boring to do, but royally sucks that you have to start each season with a gimped car while the AI doesn't. Also, maybe i want to do One Shot qualifying!!!  If i stick to an entire season of  OSQ'ing, i'll be stuck with a gimped car for the entire season. It pretty much forces you to play Long weekend on any races that have R&D.

Feature should be removed. It's not fun.
oh please don't say that.... They might listen and remove T3, or
as mr. Hood likes to put it:" we felt it doesn't add much to the game"

FMassa93 said:

Thats called just bad luck mate, happens in real life when it rains on friday practise and terams cant test their new parts so they dont go on the car for the rest of the weekend.
But since it's just a game, you could restart the session so you get a dry track?

Dez0808 said:

FP1 and FP2 should be in the game regardless of any objectives, this is meant to be the official game of F1, and it is an embarrassment to CM that they can't do something that Sony managed on the PS2 by having each F1 practice session, and that was back when there were 4 practice sessions and a warm up. A high number of fans will use the practice sessions for their own uses, and those who don't wish to practice don't need to use them. I will be astonished if/when F1 2015 doesn't have these sessions.