Sign in to follow this  

UDP Telemetry question: Speed fields

Hi,

I'm trying to write my own UDP-Telemetry-App for F1 2017 and it's working fine so far. I get all the data from the UDP-Packets.

However, the m_Speed-Field (and also the wheel-Speeds) seem to be off by a factor of 2.25 (meaning. I have to multiply them by roughly 2.25 to get the correct values and then by another 1.6092 to get the KPH-Speeds.
What is the reason for that undocumented factor? Is that by design or am I doing something wrong? What is the exact reason for that factor?

Thanks in advance,
Kalanndok

This is because that field is actually in meters per second. To convert to MPH, you would do speed*(3600/1609.344). For KPH it would be speed*(3600/1000).

For a more detailed explanation check out this link: https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-convert-m-s-to-mph

Thanks for the hint. MetersPerSecond to MilesPerHour seems to be exactly the factor (2.237136...as I said...2.25 is rough)

Documentation says MPH, though:
float m_speed; // Speed of car in MPH

I know it says MPH, that caught me out before until I released it seemed to be so low. Remembered from my physics class that speed is measured in meters per second. I have edited the previous post to show the calculation you need to do along with a link for more explanation.

Calculation is not the problem, I figured that out already :)

The Pitspeed-Limit-Field is actually Miles per hour, so I need to differenziate between the speed-fields. Wheel-Speed is also Meters per second.

Glad you have it sorted. Itll be nice if codemasters could update that for F1 2018. Ill ask them to change it as a suggestion in the beta thread when it is ready. 

Hello Kalanndok.
I look forward to this.
Can your telemetry use the information of the PS4 or is it only pc?