Sign in to follow this  

Career - First Impression

Let me begin by saying career is very dull and pretty much feels like Grand Prix mode.
No paddock which yes hasn't been in the game since F1 2011. It wasn't much, but having assistant and more people walking around your paddock when you progress through career just felt like a nice feature.
You can now choose any team to drive for straight away. What's the fun in that? Again, it just feels hopeless because if I was driving for Marussia or something I'd know I have to drive the heck out of the car so I could get a better offer, perhaps a Lotus ride and then onto Ferrari for season 3 or something, but now it's just pointless you know, hence I said it feels like Grand Prix mode.
Best part, they forced 25% race length which I guess is fair enough and makes more sense than 3 or 5 laps...I still however think that should be opposite this year...since career is pointless they should just let us race for 5 laps instead just for achievement or something haha.
In older F1 games by Codemasters, F1 2010 and so on you'd even get more realistic retirements from the race, more commentary from your race engineer...now all you get is 'Your rear tires are cold' even if you're spinning them big time in every corner.

Conclusion, career doesn't exist in this game, it's just a Grand Prix mode...because in career you're supposed to 'progress', not just finish races and pick any ride you want.
Don't hate me if you're big Codie fanboy, I will always buy F1 games from Codemasters...but how can they develop the game for over a year and make it less and less fun IDK...I'd still rate F1 2010 as best F1 game they made...at its time.

Remember what they told us in the launch trailer? "The most accessible title yet." Starting at the top is an option in this version, but basically nobody forces you to use it. I also started at Caterham and will only move on if I sometime may get a decent offer.

Anyway, I agree with you on the retirements and engineer commentary, though. I never saw this much retirements in a year and after a couple of races just one driver retired in a race. It's not a shame to have car failures, and personally I would love to have a smoking engine or brake failures. Adding less reliability (as an option) should not be too complicated.

Is anyone else having trouble staying morivated for career?

I have always raced career on 100% distance but just recently i have started to race online for the first time and im enjoying it, cars jinking all over the road, running wide into hairpins so I can get a run on them.

Then when I went back to career, it was like driving with a bunch of robots, which it is.

i think i'll drop my career races down to 25%

I race 25% races, it's fairly enough for me...but when I go online I only for for 5 laper ones, although 25% can be fun too.

Career like I said is pretty much Grand Prix mode, no career left in it whatsoever. Maybe they made this game dull on purpose so they could over-hype the next one by adding all the stuff back in it lol. I am not saying this is terrible game, it's still a fun game, I like to get me a updated game...but just saying...why remove all the good things from it, certainty can't hurt to have them even if they are rather useless.

People say having that post race conference where press asks you questions and you have to choose the answer from 3 options or so is a useless feature...well maybe it is, but it's just a bonus thing to make this game somewhat realistic experience for people who play career.

I just finished the practice and qualifying session at Malaysia. I like how Codemasters have made it a challenge to finish the R&D objective at that track very difficult. I couldn't get the time passed in 3 different attempts, then came the realistic Malaysia monsoon and it was no chance of being completed after that.

I remember F12012 I would beat the target times by over 10 seconds a lap, here it's more realistic, failing by just the one or two seconds.

I'm really enjoying the overall challenge of this year's game and I hope they don't change very much about the gameplay in a patch. I like the gameplay and the difficulty settings just as they are now.

I just finished the practice and qualifying session at Malaysia. I like how Codemasters have made it a challenge to finish the R&D objective at that track very difficult. I couldn't get the time passed in 3 different attempts, then came the realistic Malaysia monsoon and it was no chance of being completed after that.

I remember F12012 I would beat the target times by over 10 seconds a lap, here it's more realistic, failing by just the one or two seconds.

I'm really enjoying the overall challenge of this year's game and I hope they don't change very much about the gameplay in a patch. I like the gameplay and the difficulty settings just as they are now.

so do I the only thing I would do is probably put another difficulty setting between Expert and Legend given some aer finding the jump to big between those 2 settings but I wouldn't change the ones that exist as the Amateur/Easy  settings aer back where they belong really and I'm once again enjoying the game at a level I can cope with. in fact hadan epic battle between myself Vettel and the 2 Mercs in China which was great fun.

Im actually really enjoying my carrer mode this year! Sure the presentation hasnt changed but this is the first year where I know I need to fight for my results against the AI. I can race the legend AI but find im making to many mistakes as im on my limit every corner so I dropped to expert and out performing my team mate but the races are still a challenge and still fighting for good results, had 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd so far and now really struggling for pace around spain and only qualified 11th :( I know Gp mode is the same really but the cars are easier to drive so find carrer more engaging as I have to fight the car more :) My goals have changed this year mind as all other games Im aiming for a win every race (most cars) but I know this year unless I drive a merc that aint happening lol! I also want to race the legend AI in season 2 and then the only person to beat will be my team mate. Overall it feels like all the other games but as far as the racing and driving the car goes codies deserve a big thumbs up from me!!! 

When you are att the end of season 1 and has got a good car after all R&D upgrades, what happends to those in season 2? Is the car the same in Australia season 2 as it was in Brazil in season 1? Or do we have to start all over again?

FMassa93 said:
When you are att the end of season 1 and has got a good car after all R&D upgrades, what happends to those in season 2? Is the car the same in Australia season 2 as it was in Brazil in season 1? Or do we have to start all over again?
goooooooood question i would hope it is and i Hope also the tiers of teams shake up eac new season like they used to in 2012 game be funny to see marussia or caterhams get sauber/lotus pace one of them drops to thiers sauber or lotus get up a tier to be toro rosso, force india , mclarrens pace and one of them drops down and one of em gets on williams/ferrari/red bull pace and mercs well stay on top in thier happy little teir all to emselfs of rocketship god pace lol

maybe someone with tiwtter and such can ask Codies directly

Tommahawk said:
FMassa93 said:
goooooooood question i would hope it is and i Hope also the tiers of teams shake up eac new season like they used to in 2012 game be funny to see marussia or caterhams get sauber/lotus pace one of them drops to thiers sauber or lotus get up a tier to be toro rosso, force india , mclarrens pace and one of them drops down and one of em gets on williams/ferrari/red bull pace and mercs well stay on top in thier happy little teir all to emselfs of rocketship god pace lol

I can promiss you, twitter wont help you... They dont answer ANYTHING this year..

Tommahawk said:
FMassa93 said:

I've reached season 2 in career mode and I can tell you unfortunately the peformance tiers don't change.. So it's the same each season like 2013

aaron685 said:
I've reached season 2 in career mode and I can tell you unfortunately the peformance tiers don't change.. So it's the same each season like 2013
Does your car lose the upgrades and start over again?

If your car doesn't lose the upgrades, do you get to continue upgrading each season until eventually your car is decked out and wins championships?

I never played a career more than 1 season and I wasn't able to get an understanding of how it works from your comment.

I guess it's like in other F1 games where you lose upgrades for next season. That's because I used to race Marussia in most F1 games and then my performance would be back to nothing in the next season lol. And besides, upgrades hardly matter when you can beat hardest AI fairly easy without any upgrades whatsoever.

Stevomock said:
aaron685 said:
Does your car lose the upgrades and start over again?

If your car doesn't lose the upgrades, do you get to continue upgrading each season until eventually your car is decked out and wins championships?

I never played a career more than 1 season and I wasn't able to get an understanding of how it works from your comment.

I'm not sure because I moved to a different team for season 2 and the car did feel a lot easier to drive, it did feel like all the upgrades were on it from last season but I'm not 100% sure

aaron685 said:
BUGGER it was the best part of career in 12 and earlier games sigh throwing the baby out with the bathwater codies style lol poop

You can't even manage engines like in previous F1 games where you could load engine from another race or save new engine for final parts of the season which would give more performance.

As we know you can choose any team in season one, is this still the same in season 2 or is it just offers based on your performance?

RipperGP said:
As we know you can choose any team in season one, is this still the same in season 2 or is it just offers based on your performance?
From Season 2 I think i't's same sa before based on your performances

A different question and it's for F1 2013 too as I never touched career mode on that, can you take a lower team like Marussia and if you stick with them for the whole 5 seasons can you get to the brink of winning or is they performance always pegged back? 

I'm a bit surprised tier changes didn't make a return. To be honest I think they should even have expanded on it and have mid season tier changes. We've seen that happen in real life before. Mclaren in 2012 is a perfect example of that. It would make each season that much more interesting.

I'm a bit surprised tier changes didn't make a return. To be honest I think they should even have expanded on it and have mid season tier changes. We've seen that happen in real life before. Mclaren in 2012 is a perfect example of that. It would make each season that much more interesting.

That is so true. Problem is, nobody at codemasters seems to have ever played a complete 5 year career of any of their F1 games. How else can you explain those recurring bugs year after year. They probably just don't have the time to play because of their heavy workload.... ;-)

I agree was surprised they took it out as I'd have kept it in seeing the odd Marrussia and Caterham score points at the front was qute a nice feature  sometimes as I liked how that sometimes you could have a bit of a mixed up race as it can be a bit boring if the same people are winning all the time. I know that quite often it is stagnant but certainly in career mode it's nice to see things change around a bit from season to season.