Sign in to follow this  

There are more players on Grid 2 than GAS. Why???

Always makes me laugh on Top Gear whenever Clarkson drives a car he drifts it. One would think with his years of experience he'd have learned to drive a car the proper way without sticking it's arse out on every bend!

@Isamu99   -  Grid 2 was a terrible game.   Nothing to do with racing at all. 

Great that you liked it,  but your not a racer.     If you were, you would think Grid 2, was crap. 
racing = cars on a track. GRID 2 IS a racing game

what do you understand by racing?
I think it was more a case of the Grid 2 physics not being conducive to GOOD racing.  As @TestDriverAMT‌ says above, 2 or 3 cars drifting round a tight corner is/was a mess.

However, that said I really enjoyed playing Grid 2, imo it was a good fun game.

@Isamu99   -  Grid 2 was a terrible game.   Nothing to do with racing at all. 

Great that you liked it,  but your not a racer.     If you were, you would think Grid 2, was crap. 
racing = cars on a track. GRID 2 IS a racing game

what do you understand by racing?
whilst some of the races in Grid 2 are on a track the majority of the game is on public roads so tbh in my opinion Grid 2 is nothing more really than a glorified NFS style game. I enjoy playing it but it's not the most fun game to race

I think a good bit of what made GRID 2 more popular was it being the successor to GRID, which is something everybody wanted at the time. Not a lot of people take the time to look at gameplay and otherwise research the game before they buy, and there were some pretty big pre-order incentives when GRID 2 was coming out. So what you have at this point is basically the group of people that bought GRID 2, loved it, and stayed for it, the group that bought it, were surprised to find out that it wasn't the game they wanted at all, and the group of new people, that either bought the game as an entry into the series (and liked it), and/or the people that were lured in by Steam's free offering of it at the time.

Fast forward to GAS, and you have a peculiar situation: The people that loved GRID 2 stay at GRID 2 because GAS is drastically different, and was advertised as such. The people that got bummed by GRID 2 might have lost their confidence in Codemasters and opted not to buy GAS, either because they expected a similar result, not enough development time (one year after GRID 2), etc etc. THEN you have the people that bought it, and had their early on experience marred by bugs and game-breaking glitches. I'm sure a good chunk of population got knocked off for that as well.

I'm going to make a bold statement and assume that there was a much larger anticipation and player base going into the launch of GRID 2 than GAS, thus resulting in more overall people liking GRID 2 than overall people liking GAS, so on and so forth. I cannot say the ratio of people who still play GRID 2 to the amount that bought it, and not for GAS as well, but I think there was a major difference in amount of players purchasing GAS, because of the reasons I mentioned above. I could be completely entirely wrong, but considering I prefer GAS to GRID 2 every day of the week, but still love GRID 2 as a standalone racing game of its own (I hate to think that it's actually under the GRID title), this is the best logical reasoning I can assert to the player base.

TL;DR Pretty sure more people showed up to GRID 2 than GAS from day 1.

That's a pretty grounded post.

I just hope Codemasters won't make the wrong conclusions from the unpopularity of GAS, like, screw this whole 'authentic' motorsport thing and let's go full arcade, like GRID 2. ("Never go full arcard" - Kirk Lazarus would paraphrase.)

@Amphydoodle‌

I think you have perfectly described what really happened.

Besides... casual gamers don't wait so long for any patches. They can play one, two or three multiplayer sessions... and they won't play anymore if the game stops running (mp AI bug)

A GREAT game wasted by such silly bugs :/

No game is perfect, and admittedly, GAS dropped the ball a little bit on the bugs. However, it was released only a year after GRID 2 so I didn't expect absolute perfection. I think Codemasters just have to go back to the drawing board, up the ante a bit on the content side, and apply the formula of GAS to their newer title. Give it a couple of years, throw it out at a time when people are longing for GRID to come back. It was honestly a shock to see the Autosport announcement so soon after GRID 2. I think if they can iron out the problems about this game, and make another top notch product for their next release, the fans will come right back, and better than ever. Plus, it's (likely) going to be next gen, I'm sure people have been longing for that (*Cough* F1). I'm just happy that my experience with GAS wasn't as negative as everyone's experience with Assassin's Creed Unity. Then again, I hate Assassin's Creed.

I think people prefer Grid 2 just because online is more funny, every race has a different winner. In Grid autosport who has the faster car always win, to have the faster car you must have money, to have much money you have to play every day for 4-5 hours.

I disagree - at least in terms of tuning. (I always install all upgrades, just in case.)

I always take my time getting the setup right before the money laps or a race itself and I can always feel the effect of the changes. Most often I can use them to create the kind of vehicle behaviour I like (just a tad push-y, I hate fishtailing) and there are very few instances where there a kind of vehicle characteristic, which I cannot change. (The McLaren F1 GT is one such example - no matter how much understeer I dial into the balance, it'll always get loose above a certain speed and cornering angle on-throttle. Always. But, as I said, most cars does not have a characteristic this stubborn.)

F1 GT? Tuning for understeer? I found that car to be stiff enough as it is, I want that thing to get more loose in corners. I still think the difference in tuning is so little that it doesn't give someone an unfair advantage. I could go into a lobby with an untuned car and beat just about anyone who has tuned cars.

F1 GT? Tuning for understeer? I found that car to be stiff enough as it is, I want that thing to get more loose in corners. I still think the difference in tuning is so little that it doesn't give someone an unfair advantage. I could go into a lobby with an untuned car and beat just about anyone who has tuned cars.

Go ahead and rub it in some more.  lol

Not rubbing anything in, just simply stating tuning isn't an unfair advantage.

I think tuning is a big advantage if you get it right, I think that people who say tuning has no benefits don't tune the cars right to the compliment the cars capabilities or the drivers style of driving.

Example: I was doing time trail with the F1 in street and set the car up with a experimental +80 diff and +30 suspension on front and +50 back, I missed the time i needed to beat by 3 secs.

I then went back a tweeked the diff down and stiffened the suspension on each and proceeded to beat the best time by 1sec. 

This shows  that having the right setup to suit how you drive is a major advantage, 4 secs worth of advantage in my case. :) You may well be very good at driving the stock cars but I'm certainly not, the tuning helps me out a lot IF I get it right lol which is not always the case. :)

why there are less and less ppl on GAS:
Project Cars
Assetto Corsa
and I've also found myself playing "The Crew" which is more a TDU/NFS game but very funny. Ok Ubisoft/Ivory Tower may not be ideal, but who is?

Grid 2 is an arcade racer so it stands to reason arcade (console) gamers would play it.

Hm, strange. If I didn't know you're also a keyboard player, I'd say you're probably on a different platform (wheel) and that's why we feel so different about that car... But you aren't so... :smiley: 

By the way, a too stiff rear is exactly what will get you loose in some cases. (Of course we don't have separate adjustments for springs, shocks and roll bars, so theoretically, it might be that my -100 soft rear causes excessive roll and that's what makes me loose, but I doubt Codies would have shaped innate vehicle characteristics so as they are not adjusted for the game's simplified suspension tuning dynamic. So I don't think that that's the case, which leaves the softened rear, assuming no excessive roll, fit to compensate for my oversteer. The problem is I can't go any softer on the rear and any stiffer on the front.)

Loving the GRID 2 numbers lately. So awesome to see so many people still loving the game. Great work guys, let's show Codemasters we want MORE of this type of arcade drift style car handling! I seriously can't wait to start playing again sometime next year when I get my new wheel.

To the haters: want realistic? Play Iracing, Assetto Corsa, PCars or rFactor2. Plenty of sim choices out there....

isamu99 said:
Loving the GRID 2 numbers lately. So awesome to see so many people still loving the game. Great work guys, let's show Codemasters we want MORE of this type of arcade drift style car handling! I seriously can't wait to start playing again sometime next year when I get my new wheel.

To the haters: want realistic? Play Iracing, Assetto Corsa, PCars or rFactor2. Plenty of sim choices out there....
Not we dont want realistic like games you said above but we want the known Codemasters style games we loved the last 15 years..And this is neither too aracde or too sim..
And i am sure despite the poor number of players left in GAS , codies will continue  making games like GAS (semisim) , so its better you to go to chose a game like NFS , Burnout  or even Sonic and all star racing transformed... :disagree: 

GRID 2 is more popular because online is free-to-play model.

GAS has Pay-to-Win online with 2x $$$ boosts and its slow level'ing system without buying the exp boosts.

Most people aren't going to Pay-to-Win and most people aren't going to grind forever in the free mode either. So most people play GRID 2 instead.