Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Pit stops problem in Australia

I did a 50% career race with Williams in Australia.
I qualified first and before the race the default pit stop strategy was 3 stops. Max laps possible on the options - 8, on the primes - 10.
So there is no way to do a two stop race. If I start on options, replace to prime on lap 8, then again to primes on lap 18, I get to 28 laps when the race is 29.
All AIs did 2 stops. How is it possible?

You don't have to follow that exactly. It's a rough guideline. If you drive preserving the tyres for a few laps it should be easy to do a two stop race.

I managed to do a 2 stop option-prime-option strategy quite easily in my career race. As Wynterdust said, those laps to pit are guidelines. I pitted on lap 9 and 20 and got to the end with tyre life to spare.

It is because A.I. don't have tire wear, and have 2 pit stops because CM programmed them to do it. There are no more reason.

You can even adjust the pit stop strategy before the race while in your car when you sit in the garage by turning right or left.
I am using Mercedes, and Hamilton is always pitting 1 lap after me by default which I don't like since he leads a lap...so I set my strategy to 2 more laps...but as others said, this is guideline only...you can pit any time you want.