Sign in to follow this  

ERS ?????

Does anybody know if ERS is a factor in the game? I'm in North America and the game doesn't release till tomorrow.

I'm a bit confused about ERS. I thought the drivers in real life had to harvest ERS by coasting where they would usually use light braking. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I'm a bit confused about ERS. I thought the drivers in real life had to harvest ERS by coasting where they would usually use light braking. Am I wrong in thinking that?
I think is all automatic, ERS is activated automatically (I suppose by limitations), and when ERS is recovering, the light is on, but all automatic.

s1234 said:
Yes and No. Is automatic and all cars have it, so is if it don't exist.
Not really. I noticed some cars use it at different sections of the track, so I think it does not mean the performances are equal.

In terms of the ERS, how can we actually see when the energy is recovering, and when it is being used?  Bit confused about this aspect myself.

In terms of the ERS, how can we actually see when the energy is recovering, and when it is being used?  Bit confused about this aspect myself.
I think the ERS energy recovers whenever a car brakes. Instead of just disipating in the form of heat, the energy is diverted to batteries. On the game UI you can see the green ERS symbol light up (at least in the view I am using). When I engage the ERS button on, that light starts to blink when engaged and it goes dark green when the energy is depleted.

johnbe2 said:
I think the ERS energy recovers whenever a car brakes. Instead of just disipating in the form of heat, the energy is diverted to batteries. On the game UI you can see the green ERS symbol light up (at least in the view I am using). When I engage the ERS button on, that light starts to blink when engaged and it goes dark green when the energy is depleted.

Do you have a pic or a vid of that? That would be awesome if CM did that.

In real life there is an overtake button, which gives the car more power down the straights, but it puts stress on the car aswell as using more fuel, you might here the team radios where they say "use the overtake button" or in daniel ricciardos case in austria "dont use the overtake button, we have a problem"
In real life it is the case the driver and team choose where to deploy ers before the race, and if the driver wants extra power be uses the overtake button, the drivers in the cockpit have 12 fuel modes and then they can change how much ers they want to harvest it but lifting off and coasting into the corner, this is when the red light flashes which warns the other drivers that the car in front is going slower as he is lifting,  but in f1 2014 they have made it automatically, i have tried a few laps where i actually lift off in all fuel mixes (rich, standard, lean) and nothing happens, i dont know what @johnbe2‌ is saying up there is saying about his ERS button, maybe he means DRS, but the red light in the game flashes randomly, i found its usually when im 6th gear, but as i said it is all randomly and it doesnt effect the cars speed it is all for show :)

In real life there is an overtake button, which gives the car more power down the straights, but it puts stress on the car aswell as using more fuel, you might here the team radios where they say "use the overtake button" or in daniel ricciardos case in austria "dont use the overtake button, we have a problem"
In real life it is the case the driver and team choose where to deploy ers before the race, and if the driver wants extra power be uses the overtake button, the drivers in the cockpit have 12 fuel modes and then they can change how much ers they want to harvest it but lifting off and coasting into the corner, this is when the red light flashes which warns the other drivers that the car in front is going slower as he is lifting,  but in f1 2014 they have made it automatically, i have tried a few laps where i actually lift off in all fuel mixes (rich, standard, lean) and nothing happens, i dont know what @johnbe2‌ is saying up there is saying about his ERS button, maybe he means DRS, but the red light in the game flashes randomly, i found its usually when im 6th gear, but as i said it is all randomly and it doesnt effect the cars speed it is all for show :)
Plus also when the rear light is flashing as soon as you lift off the throttle or tap the brakes the light stops flashing

You save fuel by coasting and using low revs. You can use the saved fuel to increase your mixture for a few laps and/or give it a bit more stick on the tacho.

here is how ERS   works ...

Long-time fans of Formula One racing will be familiar with the concept of a Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), technology that was introduced to the sport in 2009 and was a mainstay from 2011. KERS worked by harnessing waste energy created under braking and transforming it into electrical energy, providing an additional 60kW (approximately 80bhp) of power for up to 6.67 seconds per lap.

The Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) which form an integral part of an F1 car’s power unit from 2014 take the concept of KERS to another level, combining twice the power with a performance effect around ten times greater.

ERS comprise two energy recovery systems (Motor Generator Unit - Kinetic [MGU-K] and Motor Generator Unit - Heat [MGU-H]), plus an Energy Store (ES) and control electronics.

The motor generator units convert mechanical and heat energy to electrical energy and vice versa. MGU-K works like an uprated version of KERS, converting kinetic energy generated under braking into electricity (rather than it escaping as heat). It also acts as a motor under acceleration, returning up to 120kW (approximately 160bhp) power to the drivetrain from the Energy Store.

MGU-H is an energy recovery system connected to the turbocharger of the engine and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus the drivetrain) or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. Unlike the MGU-K which is limited to recovering 2MJ of energy per lap, the MGU-H is unlimited. MGU-H also controls the speed of the turbo, speeding it up (to prevent turbo lag) or slowing it down in place of a more traditional wastegate.

A maximum of 4MJ per lap can be returned to the MGU-K and from there to the drivetrain - that’s ten times more than with 2013’s KERS. That means drivers should have an additional 160bhp or so for approximately 33 seconds per lap ...

DZUKELA said:
But does it deploys automatically or manualy by driver?

In real life ERS is programmed to deploy automatically on certain sections of the track, but this can be overridden if necessary by using the "overtake button". The "overtake button" doesn't feature in the game however so all the effects of ERS are automatic in the game.

Chilza381 said:
 The "overtake button" doesn't feature in the game however so all the effects of ERS are automatic in the game.
I suppose adjusting to rich fuel mix is the "overtake button," lol.

Yep, I was talking about the DRS button. Sorry about the confusion.