Sign in to follow this  

Team objectives and AI rubber band.

First, I like to play single player and I can't really play much multiplayer due to family and work, so if your only contribution is "that's why I play multiplayer" I've read that and doesn't add much to the topic.

So with that out of the way, the topic. 
So the team asks you to finish the race without a scratch and to have the fastest lap. This happens in Tourism cars mostly, so the first race you qualify first and the first objective can be made unless the second (usually a Ravenwest car) throws himself at your car just to make the turn and fly away like nothing happens because you know, AI cars are 100 times heavier than your car (fact in any Codemasters racing game), anyway, it can be made after a few tries. But the faster lap? Forget it, somehow they can be 3 seconds faster than your best lap and yes, I'm very good at racing games and no, you can't improve the lap time when you go 99% of the time full throttle with the lower tear cars, but somehow even if you manage to get 1 second faster, 3 seconds is just plain stoopid.

And then you have the second race, where you start last. Somehow on the first race they all keep behind you in a nice single car line separated by half second or so, I mean, they don't care about each other. However, starting last, well, they are all over the track. You can go half throttle and they will be just in front of you, using every bit of the track not letting you pass since they don't seem to have mirrors or give a crap about you, the moment you pass 2 or 3 they become the most aggressive cars ever, they seem to hit turbo bonus or something, suddenly they are all fast and of course, they only know how to brake by bumping you.

So this is me just frustrated about the idiotic, stoopid and lazy coding for the AI, did they ever tested that when asked the objectives? How the hell you can achieve them when the AI is so poorly coded that is just not funny anymore.
And I'm sorry if I like to complete these tasks that are part of the game, I know nothing will be done since they don't seem to know how to code AI . And you can't even edit the catchup file since if you do you can't save so to add to the fact that they don't care about you trying to play as they (I guess) intended us to play (why would they put those objectives if not?) but they also don't allow us to "fix" what they can't do right. 

The AI is ridiculous, they have code in there that lets the AI get a boost in speed under certain conditions, Codemasters team must think this is funny but the vast majority of complaints about playability is about the AI. They obviously don't want to sell more games otherwise they would fix it.

Yep, that'll be it. Because AI design and coding is by far the easiest part of writing a game...
They can make the AI as aggressive as they want, but for some obscure reason they make them race like rabid dogs on coke.

In the AI folder there is a file called "catchup". It was written somewhere, that those crazy times and enormous AI speed comes with this mechanic. The game runs smoothly with the file deleted - didn't test it if this really helps with your AI problem, but it may.

Although I don't reccomend messing with game files, it can always go wrong in long term.
And the mechanic is fun to me, makes the AI keep up to you even when you have a better day and outrun everyone - makes the game more thrilling! :smiley: 

Badi23 said:
In the AI folder there is a file called "catchup". It was written somewhere, that those crazy times and enormous AI speed comes with this mechanic. The game runs smoothly with the file deleted - didn't test it if this really helps with your AI problem, but it may.

Although I don't reccomend messing with game files, it can always go wrong in long term.
And the mechanic is fun to me, makes the AI keep up to you even when you have a better day and outrun everyone - makes the game more thrilling! :smiley: 
you know that, by deleting that file, this can be considered cheating, right? especially if you host an Online Custom Cup with AI in it...

either way, this reminds me of a MMO I used to play. people found out that, by changing the name of one folder, you would get rid of all buildings in the game. this would allow people to walk through things/walks/buildings. the buildings would be there for you and me but not for those who did this "trick", hence why they could go though walls and shit. it was funny at the time but then the developers fixed it :D

By all means I do not encourage enyone to cheat. I see you're point and I agree playing online with modded files can go that way though, but since there are no new "weekly challanges" with prizes I've no idea where it could be utilized, as MP is generally about racing other people not AI.

It's clearly for single player, you know ;)

Was it in the first Risk Your Life? I remember something like this happening there :disappointed_relieved: 
If  You guys think Codie's games are buggy, You should have played pre-WoW MMOs.... ;D

Badi23 said:
Was it in the first Risk Your Life? I remember something like this happening there :disappointed_relieved: 
If  You guys think Codie's games are buggy, You should have played pre-WoW MMOs.... ;D
No, it was Kal Online. I played that since the early Open Beta and it had tons of bugs :disagree:
it was fun though XD

Eliminating Rubber-Banding is not cheating. The AI should be able to run a certain lap time based on Difficulty selected and no more. Instead they end up running 2-3 seconds faster than they qualify in some instances.