Sign in to follow this  

Preparing For The French Grand Prix™ With F1® 2018

Hello everyone! If you'd like to read this on our blog, you can find it here

With the return of the French Grand Prix™ very nearly upon us, it’s time for a brand new trailer for F1® 2018, the official videogame of the 2018 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP™! We’re showcasing the return of the French Grand Prix to the calendar in the best way possible - by talking to F1 drivers about the recreation of their home circuit in F1 2018. The French drivers Romain Grosjean, Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly, as well as Renault Sport Formula One Team’s Carlos Sainz, all take us around a hot lap in the first ever gameplay footage of the Circuit Paul Ricard and talk about their experience with the game.

Want to check out the first ever gameplay footage of the Circuit Paul Ricard? We thought you might – and you can watch it below, or you can head to our YouTube channel here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQWiR5T9_E

This was first time that all four drivers were able to get their hands on F1 2018, which will release onto PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X and Windows PC (DVD and via Steam) worldwide on Friday 24th August 2018.

“Of course the French Grand Prix is the one I am most looking forward to in the year,” said Haas F1 Team driver, Grosjean. “It will be my first time racing in my home Grand Prix and a lot of French fans are coming to support us.”

Gasly added: “I am massively excited. To have a home Grand Prix is a special feeling. You can really feel the support.”

“I have been playing games since I was a kid... and I haven’t stopped,” said Ocon. “The games have evolved massively and are getting more and more realistic. It is still my routine to go training during the day and I play for one or two hours in the evening... and I find it very useful. When we don’t have a race weekend I keep racing on my own.”

“This is my first try on F1 2018 and I am super impressed. I am a big fan of the games and have played them since I was a kid”, added Gasly. “Every year it keeps getting better.”

Sainz commented: “I spend my time at home practising in the Formula 1 game and on the simulator at Renault. You can be sure that we do this kind of practice.”

After hearing from the drivers themselves, we, of course, had to speak to Game Director, Lee Mather about their feedback: “It is fantastic for us to get time with the real drivers. These are the guys who know what it is really like to drive these incredible cars and to have them give honest feedback is always extremely valuable. The fact that they were all positive about the game and the direction in which we are taking it is great to hear.”

And that’s not all! We’ve got one more treat for you today – we’re very happy that acclaimed Canal+ journalist and commentator Julien Fébreau will be adding his experienced vocal talents to the French version of F1 2018, bringing you ever to closer to the television broadcast you see on race weekends.

We’ll be revealing more F1 2018 news very soon, so make sure that whatever you do you keep it here on the blog, forums, and on our social channels Twitter and Facebook for future updates.

Meh. I was driving round Paul Ricard in an F1 video game 36 years ago ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Jvycc6h_8&index=9&list=PLOuw4in4g6A_MVmUjxW0us5g4SDOb7jTH

I hope that's showing the ability to change the time-of-day, otherwise it'll be really hard to see where to go at Paul Ricard with the dazzling tarmac!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Jvycc6h_8&index=9&list=PLOuw4in4g6A_MVmUjxW0us5g4SDOb7jTH
Omegalul that is actly paul ricard aswell isn't it?

Tbh this really is not showing much to promote the game. Yeah you've got a new track in there, yeah the graphics look good like 2017, yeah you've got updated cars and yeah you've got ERS in there. Stuff we already knew! What else have you actually disclosed on the game from this? 

How about you actually show some proper gameplay like a full race or even the new gimmicks you have actually put into the game in order to sell it better. I mean I get more info on Argos or when downloading an app showcasing what exactly it does than you have ever done in a video (aside from the old dev diaries). Show us the career improvements, the AI craft improvements and then I may listen.

Maybe if people weren't so sold on something because a time trial video was released and it looks half decent graphics we may actually get some proper game evidence. Hey maybe I'm asking for too much in this day and age as people are so easily duped and pleased.

Agree with mart...this is not gameplay, it’s an interview. Show the new r&d, new setup menu (disclosed by someone around), interviews (the full immersive career promoted). This would hype more....?

martbloke said:
Tbh this really is not showing much to promote the game. Yeah you've got a new track in there, yeah the graphics look good like 2017, yeah you've got updated cars and yeah you've got ERS in there. Stuff we already knew! What else have you actually disclosed on the game from this? 

How about you actually show some proper gameplay like a full race or even the new gimmicks you have actually put into the game in order to sell it better. I mean I get more info on Argos or when downloading an app showcasing what exactly it does than you have ever done in a video (aside from the old dev diaries). Show us the career improvements, the AI craft improvements and then I may listen.

Maybe if people weren't so sold on something because a time trial video was released and it looks half decent graphics we may actually get some proper game evidence. Hey maybe I'm asking for too much in this day and age as people are so easily duped and pleased.
There might be even a chance of gameplays, because they've done this last year with F1 2017 aswell

I just find it quite ironic how the games main selling point, the interviews that will help us 'make headlines' still has no footage circulating. How do you expect us to be sold on something if all you do is tease. I mean personally I don't see how this alone can be your headlining feature unless you have implemented it in a very big way, I don't know usually they save the most talked about features for after release! I mean after all who could forget the ultra popular safety car bug :D

martbloke said:

Last year they released multiple gameplay videos, even full 50% races against ultimate AI, driven by David Greco in cockpit cam. Hoping they will release some footage like that again soon, I'm sure it won't be long before we see other stuff more focussed on gameplay and new features.

martbloke said:

Last year they released multiple gameplay videos, even full 50% races against ultimate AI, driven by David Greco in cockpit cam. Hoping they will release some footage like that again soon, I'm sure it won't be long before we see other stuff more focussed on gameplay and new features.
Oh I do hope so! I just hate these silly fast lap type videos as they show nothing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkrmGALRVoQ
A better view of the track here. (I haven't watched it all just from scanning thru it, it looks different)

Looks like Force India and Renault have also uploaded their own version of the track guide video with their drivers, has some additional onboard footage and comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKqRLcvnY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjA9XQmtSo&t=102s

s

martbloke said:

The game doesnt come out for another 2 months... They have plenty of time to showcase that stuff. The first full unedited gameplay for F1 2017 was released on Aug 11, 2017. The game release just 2 weeks later on the 25th. Chill.

DW22 said:
martbloke said:

The game doesnt come out for another 2 months... They have plenty of time to showcase that stuff. The first full unedited gameplay for F1 2017 was released on Aug 11, 2017. The game release just 2 weeks later on the 25th. Chill.
That's a fair comment.

Just frustrated that they release videos of classic cars and crappy hotlaps which for me are just plain pointless. Nothing on "Making Headlines" which is the strap line of the new game and nothing showing us anything new from 2017 apart from the halo (which of course was to be expected) and ERS (only in the wheel might I add with nothing clear about about).

Even on the big (haha I wrote bug instead the 1st time around) stage to promote the game at E3 all you got was time trial and a race with crap driving so you couldn't see any proper AI racecraft.

Just so frustrating!

DW22 said:

The way I see it, if they're already pumping for pre-orders, then they should be showing people more of what they're selling.

haydn23 said:

Omegalul that is actly paul ricard aswell isn't it?
Certainly is... though if it didn't say so on the track selection screen, I doubt anyone would recognise it from the cockpit view ;) Played this loads at the time though, even though it was time-trial only... probably one of the first 'sim racers' on the market.

The way I see it, if they're already pumping for pre-orders, then they should be showing people more of what they're selling.

... or not.