Sign in to follow this  

AI pace in the wet?

After playing the game now for few days my pace is getting there in the dry and im slowly matching the legend AI (few tenths off) but when it rains I am 5 sec slower than the expert AI as I simply have no grip! It was raining in malaysia and the straight after turn 2 leading into turn 3 I would spin out if I went more than 70% throttle yet the AI just drive away no problem. I love how much slower my pace is this year in the wet as last year you didnt need any skill to drive in the wet the only problem is the AI use traction control so there is simply no way I can compete with them. I dont want to turn tc on med or full as med seems like off in last years game and on it just doesnt spin so dont know how im going to match them if it rains? Anyone else having the same problem matching there wet pace? If someone can match them and could give tips would be great as I am dreading doing a 100% race and getting lapped 5 times :(

Care to show me a vid of how its done then? I know im no Alonso but I know how to drive lol! Im not saying the grip is off as my times are what I would expect in wet weather but want to know how others are doing against the AI in the wet as with all assists off im having real trouble matching there times! I watched noble's quali at malaysia and he had just as much trouble as me and he is one of the fastest guys on the previous games so know it not me just lacking skill :)

I'm racing with a Fanatec CSR wheel, no assists and I'm pretty certain it's impossible to match Legend AI in full wet conditions. In the dry I can match them, but in the wet it's 2 seconds a lap that I need to find and I can't see how it is possible. I've tried full aero and soft springs etc, which do seem to help rear traction. It feels far too sensitive to me, something is not right here. Might have to look at playing with pedal settings etc, but I don't want to put too much effort into that if they then end up patching the issue in the near future. 

In the dry I was about the same pace as Hamilton, sometimes faster sometimes slower but in the wet he's 3 seconds quicker than me. Even the low end of the field are doing the same times as me even though I'm in a Merc. This is the only problem I have, as the rest of the game is pretty good imo.

vtidixon said:

Care to show me a vid of how its done then? I know im no Alonso but I know how to drive lol! Im not saying the grip is off as my times are what I would expect in wet weather but want to know how others are doing against the AI in the wet as with all assists off im having real trouble matching there times! I watched noble's quali at malaysia and he had just as much trouble as me and he is one of the fastest guys on the previous games so know it not me just lacking skill :)

Do you know what "rev matching" is? It's a race driving technique which worked extremely well in 2012 and '13. 

Basically when you break and shift down you lightly brush the throttle for each gear you shift down. Try it out, it works very good in the rain. Breaking and shifting upsets the car... Balance goes to the front. By brushing the throttle you can stabilize the car. I found it to shorten my brake distance in the wet. And you hardly start "Swimming" when braking too much. Try it  and let me know if it helped.

Ye mate know what rev matching is as I do it in my car as she sound amazing lol! The braking is the least of my worries tho as that to easy this year imo, the problem Im having is they carry so much more speed through corners and can get on the power much earlier than what the player can if using no assists. If I need to practice then thats cool but wanted to make a thread just to see how others were finding there pace in the wet against the AI before I think its a bug and start complaining :) Looks like im not the only one who thinks there abit op in the wet so maybe Hatta could look into it? It clear this year that tc is way over powered in the dry so when it comes to wet races what chance do no assist drivers have? Codies should cut the power to make tc users slower out of corners not give them perfect drive at full throttle

This isn't a great lap, but it shows you where you (and I) need to improve. Short shifting/gentle throttle until car is straightened is key.

Silverstone, full wets, legend AI, No Assists/DFGT:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxeEUZo5D98&feature=youtu.be

cheers for the vid bobby and nice smooth driving! what position did you end up tho as you were only 6tenths quicker than a caterham when the vid finished and from the few qualis ive done in the wet the AI get quicker as the tyres get warmer. Im struggling in the wet with grip but I think it feels really good this year as it finally a challenge to get the power down. The issue I have is matching the AI times as I can go from matching hamilton in a merc (gp mode) in the dry but when it rains chilton is lapping faster than me :( I know I need to find time myself in the wet  but I just cant see me matching there times without putting tc on med or full which I really dont want to do as this game is hard with no assists but becomes boring very quick when using assists

I know this isn't really related to wet weather but Codemasters gave Williams a Renault engine instead of a Merc, that's pretty bad :o

vtidixon said:
cheers for the vid bobby and nice smooth driving! what position did you end up tho as you were only 6tenths quicker than a caterham when the vid finished and from the few qualis ive done in the wet the AI get quicker as the tyres get warmer. Im struggling in the wet with grip but I think it feels really good this year as it finally a challenge to get the power down. The issue I have is matching the AI times as I can go from matching hamilton in a merc (gp mode) in the dry but when it rains chilton is lapping faster than me :( I know I need to find time myself in the wet  but I just cant see me matching there times without putting tc on med or full which I really dont want to do as this game is hard with no assists but becomes boring very quick when using assists
I followed with 1:46.5 and was 6th I think, which was better than Bottas anyway - camera had conked out by then. Very similar lap just more patient on throttle.

I think it's a bit borderline in the wet, but still driveable. In dry it's actually quite easy once you get used to the low revving. Hughesy, it maybe sounds a bit different than Merc but it feels like Merc engine and I think it's deeper tone than Renault, just the Williams in this game can't handle it very well. Maybe I'm wrong?

Whatever, if they sort out the silly pad issues, we're good for another year.

Nice topic

I just got my F1 2014, I haven't tried too much yet, but based on my F1 2013 experience, I had a lot of problems trying to catch up with AI in wet conditions, my first season (gp mode, by the way, due to the missing FP1 and FP2, I used to have 3 FP of an hour before Qualy), I was really struggling, running far way from AI but at the end of this season until the next career seasons I was running faster than AI and really hoping for rain in some tracks.

What I really want from a F1 game as I race against AI is that I must have the difficulty as much as possible close to the real F1, but AI should have the same. More than that AI should also have the advantages that we have, dynamic strategy, late braking, etc.

vtidixon said:
I followed with 1:46.5 and was 6th I think, which was better than Bottas anyway - camera had conked out by then. Very similar lap just more patient on throttle.

I think it's a bit borderline in the wet, but still driveable. In dry it's actually quite easy once you get used to the low revving. Hughesy, it maybe sounds a bit different than Merc but it feels like Merc engine and I think it's deeper tone than Renault, just the Williams in this game can't handle it very well. Maybe I'm wrong?

It's a Renault engine according to the database bud ;) Just go look on racedepartment and you'll find out. People who have changed things found it, and it's a pretty bad mistake in what is otherwise a good F1 game.

vtidixon said:

Ok cheers mate! Will try again later and see if can find some time. Havent played to much with wet setups yet as only had mixed conditions so not gone full wet setup. What are ppl opinions on the setups for wet this year as in the dry the car easier to drive with downforce but not worth the time you loose a lap so always run low exept monaco and singapore

Steve has already tweeted last week that the data in wet conditions is not right and is been reviewed.
I can stay with the AI in the early laps but when my tyres start to wear I'm loosing as much as 2 to 3 seconds a lap in 50% race distance on legend. 

They need to change the AI wet pace. It's ridiculously hard to match with no assists on. I chucked TC out of desperation and that fixed the issue, but I hate driving with it. 

Steve has already tweeted last week that the data in wet conditions is not right and is been reviewed.
I can stay with the AI in the early laps but when my tyres start to wear I'm loosing as much as 2 to 3 seconds a lap in 50% race distance on legend. 

Really? that good to know! I thought I might be the only one but seems like a few ppl think they are 2-3 sec quicker than they should be so lets hope codies patch it quick as could ruin a few races if it starts raining half way through. Apart from that think codies have done a super job this year when it comes to the grip we have in wet conditions just need to make the AI and other tc users have much less of a advantage and this could be the best F1 game Ive played in my 26 years of being on this planet lol! Never thought id say it but good job codemasters!

Gav25182 said:
Is an issue for your above average no assists player

What you mean? Even the quickest guys on youtube seem to struggle to get near there times in wet weather that's why my hat goes off to bobby for his vid showing it is possible for him to do but most of us seem to struggle to corner or accelerate like the AI seem to. I know with time we will all get better and prob be wondering why we thought it was so hard but imo the advantage ppl/AI gain just from just med traction control is hard to match in the wet for 56 laps of a race

Yes but A.I. don't have tire perform. so you will loose more pace in the last laps of the tires.